Thank you!

basimpson22

I wanted to thank everyone on OL who helped in shaping my views on life. Right now, I'm very comfortable with the personal opinion that this life is all we have. By all, I mean everything. Its a tremendous blessing just to exist and as humans we are exceptionally blessed because we have a self-awareness that far surpasses any other living organism on this planet and possibly this little corner of the universe.

I wanted to thank everyone on OL who helped in shaping my views on life. Right now, I'm very comfortable with the personal opinion that this life is all we have. By all, I mean everything. Its a tremendous blessing just to exist and as humans we are exceptionally blessed because we have a self-awareness that far surpasses any other living organism on this planet and possibly this little corner of the universe.

So very well said.

This is not a fond farewell, is it Aristo?

Tony

(Stephen, a powerfully true essay, "Pride of Place". Thank you.)

• 3 months later...

It was a temporary farewell. At the time I wrote posted this topic I was going through a breakup. We were together for four years, so it's been a bit of a rollercoaster ride the past 3 months.

Bobby:

Welcome back and we did not have to put up a player to be named later!

Adam

Not sure this is your type of song, but I like this particular song by her because it has power...

Bob wrote:

Right now, I'm very comfortable with the personal opinion that this life is all we have.

end quote

It is a shame that we only have one life to live, and if we are dealt a bad card we don’t get to live the average lifespan. My niece who is now 30, is very ill, and under hospice care. Life isn’t fair but when you see someone who does not have a chance, it puts things like a breakup in perspective. My niece who worked for the State Department would be happy to just be having a break up. Isn’t that odd?

I have had two breakups when I was younger and they still bother me, but they also fade with time, until you no longer wish to even see those women again, because they no longer matter.

Welcome back to the future. Now, just observe. We are deciding the future of our country, whether to go to war, there are amazing discoveries in science, and then there are always those Purina All Stars where you get to judge a puppy video. Is it cute? Too cute? Not cute at all? You want to run over the mutt? And the Super Bowl!

Peter

Bob wrote:

Right now, I'm very comfortable with the personal opinion that this life is all we have.

end quote

It is a shame that we only have one life to live, and if we are dealt a bad card we don’t get to live the average lifespan. My niece who is now 30, is very ill, and under hospice care. Life isn’t fair but when you see someone who does not have a chance, it puts things like a breakup in perspective. My niece who worked for the State Department would be happy to just be having a break up. Isn’t that odd?

I have had two breakups when I was younger and they still bother me, but they also fade with time, until you no longer wish to even see those women again, because they no longer matter.

Welcome back to the future. Now, just observe. We are deciding the future of our country, whether to go to war, there are amazing discoveries in science, and then there are always those Purina All Stars where you get to judge a puppy video. Is it cute? Too cute? Not cute at all? You want to run over the mutt? And the Super Bowl!

Peter

Well said, Peter.

Except the puppy-stuff, which reminded me of a little "present" from our miniature dachshund this a.m.

Life is sometimes like that as well. :cool:

Peter

Never a dull moment.

Ba'al Chatzaf

It is a shame that we only have one life to live, and if we are dealt a bad card we don’t get to live the average lifespan. My niece who is now 30, is very ill, and under hospice care. Life isn’t fair but when you see someone who does not have a chance, it puts things like a breakup in perspective. ]

Agreed with the 'perspective' Peter, and I'm sorry to hear about that; yet - there is no objective weight to pain, really, is there? We still have to face it similarly, every day, like a long-term mortgage payment.