Obama's Disintegrated Mind

In the same bill he proposes to tax income from muni-bonds and encourage state and local governments to undertake infrastructure projects that would increase jobs. These conflict, because infrastructure projects are financed by issuing muni-bonds. "But reducing demand for bonds issued by state and regional authorities that build highways, bridges, airports, water and sewer systems and transportation projections would hamper the very sort of projects the legislation seeks to encourage" (link).

This strikes me as one of those things politicians propose knowing that it won’t make it into the final bill. It helps to wear down your opponents by making them fight on so many fronts, and you look like a reasonable “hands across the aisle” compromiser when you let 5 of your 10 demands go. Investors buy muni bonds with the expectation that the tax treatment will be what it’s always been. There would be a constitutional challenge on a couple of fronts if this passed. I think it’s just a diversion.

This strikes me as one of those things politicians propose knowing that it won’t make it into the final bill. It helps to wear down your opponents by making them fight on so many fronts, and you look like a reasonable “hands across the aisle” compromiser when you let 5 of your 10 demands go.

Good point. I hadn't thought about it that way. I guess that disqualifies me being a politician. :smile:

Agreed. O'biwan, the boy fascist prince, is attempting to pull a page out of history from Harry S. Truman and run against the "do nothing" Republican Congress, a la 1948.

However, to make the comparative allusion that Senator Benson made, at 2:37 of the video below of the 1988 Vice Presidential "debate," [meaning press conference confrontation paradigm]:

"President O'bama, I served with Harry Truman, I knew Harry Truman, Harry Truman was a friend of mine...President O'bama, you're no Harry Truman!"

http://youtu.be/uWXRNySMW4s

I also hope he takes this course.

Adam

I was going to share this on Facebook, and it is far from working. Enter your facebook application id. Right. And then it threw me a weird error message. Used to work, OL-FB. Not today, or at least, more trouble than I care to go through. Ideas?