Asking for some help from the Big Dogs on OL

Hi, All!

We have such a wonderful pool of talent here. So (and I don't think I have ever asked for help), I could really use some informed help/advice from my online family (believe it or not, that is how I view you guys).

Here's the sitch:

My wife Darlene is retired (just on SS, but does fine). Recently she has had the desire to mount a new business. Darlene is a highly experienced business professional, with many accolades, successes, whatever, under her belt. She is a true entrepreneur, right down the line.

She wanted to go back out and do a standalone biz, and did (early, I helped her). This particular biz is sort of a mix of esoteric clothing, kid's stuff, fairy-ware; all kinds of very unique products; the market is there and she knows what she is doing, patiently.

She is 61, a woman, and represents a minority in terms of getting a modest start up biz grant. She started to explore this online, and of course, the hounds of hell and other floodgates opened on her. All she is trying to do is obtain a small grant. Oh, my phone is driving me crazy. Just now these beserk Indian scam artist bastards tried to beat me up for $1.87. I vaporized them.

So, my question is, what is the real skinny on getting small biz grants in this area? Legitimate stuff. She has a real winner of a thing going here (the products are lovely) and we are working towards not only web biz but a lease at a fantastic retail zone here in Ft. Myers, Fl. It will work, we just need some basic seed money.

Any advice would be appreciated. I figure someone around here has to have experience in this area. I can provide further details as needed. She did her first trade show, and was met with a very strong response.

I would like to help her get this thing off the ground--it is a flyer.

Thanks in advance,

Rich Engle

A grant? The Small Business Administration (SBA) doesn't do grants (source), but does back loans (source).

Small Business Grants and Resources – Florida.

Yeah, thank you and that is right. Forest for the trees. She's sitting with a loan officer at her bank right now. So, so far, so good.

Thank you!

rde

Hi, All!

So, my question is, what is the real skinny on getting small biz grants in this area? Legitimate stuff. She has a real winner of a thing going here (the products are lovely) and we are working towards not only web biz but a lease at a fantastic retail zone here in Ft. Myers, Fl. It will work, we just need some basic seed money.

Any advice would be appreciated. I figure someone around here has to have experience in this area. I can provide further details as needed. She did her first trade show, and was met with a very strong response.

Thanks in advance,

Rich Engle

Rich:

I have dealt with the Angel Investors and I have the utmost respect for them, see this here. Essentially compares Angel Investors v. Venture Capitalists.

Adam

just my first quick idea

Hi, All!

Thanks in advance,

Rich Engle

Rich:

I have dealt with the Angel Investors and I have the utmost respect for them, see this here. Essentially compares Angel Investors v. Venture Capitalists.

Adam

just my first quick idea

Great start! Thank you so much, Adam--I sent it to Dar.

r