Punishment Capitalism, by Andrew Russell

Rich Engle

This kind of work goes to a rather small crowd, and, at first, I was a bit hesitant to put it to my little blog, which is read by many, er, non-AR-type readers, or whatever you might call that. I like Andrew's work very much, because he works to accuracy, and has a very light, humorous touch even on top of it.

Punishment Capitalism, by Andrew Russell

Enjoy, I did!

rde

1) I always got the vibe that conservative Xian Capitalists dislike welfare not so much because of an attribution error - the poor are lazy - but because it is a secular program that challenges their role as sole provider of social assistance and charity (therefore power). The same reason the "Brotherhood" is hostile to the secular Arab state (among others).

2) This is off topic but I always got the sense the "Left" sees a different 'sin'. Conservatives see the issue as indulgence, Liberals as one of exploitation. The latter I think is more unchristian but by encouraging it they ensure a place for themselves in America - once they get rid of those pesky unions, medicare, social security and the like.

1) I always got the vibe that conservative Xian Capitalists dislike welfare not so much because of an attribution error - the poor are lazy - but because it is a secular program that challenges their role as sole provider of social assistance and charity (therefore power). The same reason the "Brotherhood" is hostile to the secular Arab state (among others).

2) This is off topic but I always got the sense the "Left" sees a different 'sin'. Conservatives see the issue as indulgence, Liberals as one of exploitation. The latter I think is more unchristian but by encouraging it they ensure a place for themselves in America - once they get rid of those pesky unions, medicare, social security and the like.

One thing I knew when I published this was that it would create good discussion within certain learned folks. It is definitely thought-provoking.

rde

As you can tell, most of it was over my head. Just writing what struck me.

As well it should be.

I will throw in. What is really going on "upstairs" has little or nothing to do with your left or right leanings; what is projected is simply a smokescreen--one to get a person involved in the small matters.

Meanwhile, these people are about to eat us.

rde

And that's all I have to say about that. --Forrest Gump

Depends on which subsector of Christian Conservatives we're talking about. My piece is most likely to apply to those steeped in Calvinist theology, but as I said it can be found in other places (see Dinesh D'Souza; a Roman Catholic).

You guys obviously haven't been down South, lately. It's only worse. Christian Conservatives . . . hurumph, I only wish. Those are the ones that wear those suits and stupid ties, no? I've even heard talk that they not only read, but can complete compound sentences. I've seen these people and they kind of resemble Rush Limbaugh. They likely make stinky mustard farts<tm>.

McGregor Baptist Church

That one is ten minutes from my house. I hope one day that they all run off to re-baptize themselves or something so I can raid their media studio.

Discussing Calvinism, actually, now that I think about it, has just about nothing to do with nothing. They have mutated.

It is bad enough being a UU, what with the Pilgrim and Quaker roots. The people that brought you the Salem Witch Trials.

I would love to see a practicing Calvinist--I would attempt to sell them laxatives, what with them having their shit stuck up them so fucking far. These are the people that, when church lets out, mob Bob Evans, think it is the goddamn Four Seasons, and leave a dollar tip, the skeevosa sons of two strangers.

Did you know that Martin Luther had a lifelong farting problem? But I digress. I like this tract off of Predestinarian, heh:

Martin Luther and Flatulence

I am currently in the process of going through all of Luther's works dealing with the extent of the atonement and trying to determine if there is some way of harmonizing these passages into some sort of theology or if Luther just contradicts himself at different times. The general index has not been much help. It left out several key passages-whether intentionally or not I do not know. But the benefits of electronic search capabilities are quickly making themselves known as I can easily search for a word such as 'satisfaction' and it will find every instance in which the word comes up. I then have to go through the laborious task of sifting through to find passages which deal with what I am actually looking for and the search engine isn't nearly as fast as it is on my Bibleworks program so this is looking like it could be quite a project.

Meanwhile, I keep coming across references of one sort or another to farting. Compiling a collection of all of Luther's references to farting has proven to be a far easier task. Please do not read if you do not have a sense of humor or if you find alternate words for dung overly offensive. It certainly is not nearly as profitable as my larger task, but it may be just the thing to cheer you up if you're feeling a bit blue.

Oh, I love to be so naughty in front of Jesus.

rde