Department of Innovation

9thdoctor

“The Department of Innovation is about people and ideas that likely will shape the way we will live one day.”

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/ideas/2011/07/welcome-to-the-department-of-innovation/

The Smithsonian put up this new website a couple weeks ago, inspired by President Obama’s claim that America has reached a “Sputnik moment”. Here is the logo they created for this “department”:

innov4.jpg

Numerous comments were soon made on the blog, pointing out that the logo shows locked gears. They’ve since updated the logo, so now it looks like this:

InnovationBlogPost.jpg

Oh, the ironies! There’s just too many, where to begin? Particularly that Obama referenced Sputnik, an achievement of Soviet science.

"The Department of Innovation is about people and ideas that likely will shape the way we will live one day."

http://blogs.smithso...-of-innovation/

The Smithsonian put up this new website a couple weeks ago, inspired by President Obama's claim that America has reached a "Sputnik moment". Here is the logo they created for this "department":

innov4.jpg

Numerous comments were soon made on the blog, pointing out that the logo shows locked gears. They've since updated the logo, so now it looks like this:

InnovationBlogPost.jpg

Oh, the ironies! There's just too many, where to begin? Particularly that Obama referenced Sputnik, an achievement of Soviet science.

Oh, my.

What strikes me is that the gearwheels are about as about as bad a symbol as you could pick for innovation in the current century. Back in the art deco era, when this would have been appropriate, they would have given us a better design.

What strikes me is that the gearwheels are about as about as bad a symbol as you could pick for innovation in the current century. Back in the art deco era, when this would have been appropriate, they would have given us a better design.

The gears shown are not what real gears even look like. I've seen the same

locked gear mistake before - once on an engineering letter head and once

on a website. Several years ago there was some Microsoft graphic for inserting

into letterheads that had something similar to what this gearing arrangement

looks like. A simple google search on "gears logo" shows many similar looking

graphics being used by many groups. Not innovative in their logo besides

the other issues. The mistake made it on Fox News yeserday.

Dennis

The gears shown are not what real gears even look like. I've seen the same

locked gear mistake before - once on an engineering letter head and once

on a website. Several years ago there was some Microsoft graphic for inserting

into letterheads that had something similar to what this gearing arrangement

looks like. A simple google search on "gears logo" shows many similar looking

graphics being used by many groups. Not innovative in their logo besides

the other issues. The mistake made it on Fox News yeserday.

Dennis

ruckus_index_08.gif

Here the message is to stop the machine...this is an extreme marxist group - from the Alinsky - Cloward - Pivens strategic methodology.