What will happen?

BaalChatzaf

Re 'rationalistic' philosophy: I'm not sure what you mean by that. I think we can both agree that working out a rational philosophy is a desirable goal.

But I suspect that with "rationalistic", you have a pejorative connotation in mind, and suggest that I am "rationalizing" away issues. But in order for me to answer to that, you would have to name exactly what you think it is that I'm rationalizing away and demonstrate the alleged rationalization.

Angela,

Rationalizing is distinctly different from rationalist:

EMPIRICISM and RATIONALISM.

So you meant "RATIONALISM" then. Well, I can assure you I don't adhere to any "Cogito ergo sum" principle. The reverse, "Sum, ergo cogito" sounds far more rational to me. :)

From the Wikipedia article:

Rationalism should not be confused with rationality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationalism

So this should clear up any possible misunderstandings.

Edited by Xray

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you meant "RATIONALISM" then. Well, I can assure you I don't adhere to any "Cogito ergo sum" principle. The reverse, "Sum, ergo cogito" sounds far more rational to me. :)

Pretty good - were you aware that this was Rand's rebuttal of "I think, therefore I am."?

To be accurate, her paraphrase is "Sum, ergo cogitabo".

Pretty good - were you aware that this was Rand's rebuttal of "I think, therefore I am."?

Tony:

I always liked that Aynism, "I am, therefore, I think." Have used it for decades.

Adam

Ah, that quote was from Rand then. I could not remember who was the author. I ask myself why she used the Latin future form "cogitabo". (?)

As for "Sum ergo cogito", I used that for the first time many years ago. I suppose many others have had that same idea: to simply turn Descartes' words around because it makes far more sense that way. :)

Edited by Xray

No, the beauty of it is not just her clever plug for the primacy of existence before consciousness, but also that thought is always a choice.

I am, therefore I'll think - is how she put it.

A double whammy for Descartes.

Tony