Postcard Chess, Anyone?

OK, here's the deal:

I've been playing chess since I was like 9. I even played on the chess team in high school and such. Spent a lot of time loving on chess (I have little time for games, but when I do it is chess and pool). I just started getting my game back a bit, I am really rusty. Crap, I even played for USCF ratings when I was a kid. I have played chess through my life though, and really enjoy it.

I noticed that people like Ghs, others, mention chess as a pursuit.

So, I got to thinking, why don't we do a little, er, "team building exercise?" I started thinking about starting a tourney; the simple way would be to create pairings and just do round-robins, although there are other ways.

How would we do this? Well, I think the simplest way would be to use the guys over at www.chesspostcard.com.

Play online postcard chess

I've used this for years and it always works. There would be very few rules, other than like you can't use analyzers, and you should write down your moves (there have been times when the postcard server fails during tourneys, but not that often--if so, you just play back to where you were).

I think this would be Big Fun. If you are interested, I'll start a signup sheet. But, I could use a helper on this one if we decide to do it.

rde

COMPUTER GLITCHY THIS GOT DOUBLE POSTED SO . . .

Until MSK fixes it (I sent him a line) if you are interested in organizing a tourney post to the OTHER one.

Repeat, this is a clone, this is a clone.

rde

Fuck's sake . . .

About 50 yrs ago I played postcard chess with the husband of my great materal aunt. Two simultaneous games. They lived in a shack with goats in California next to Yosemite NP. When my grandfather saw how his sister lived, he cried, but they were happy. I visited them twice with my Mother, 1959 and 1963. I wished we had lived in CA then for then CA was the place to live; then CA was beautiful. I still dream of CA.

--Brant

About 50 yrs ago I played postcard chess with the husband of my great materal aunt. Two simultaneous games. They lived in a shack with goats in California next to Yosemite NP. When my grandfather saw how his sister lived, he cried, but they were happy. I visited them twice with my Mother, 1959 and 1963. I wished we had lived in CA then for then CA was the place to live; then CA was beautiful. I still dream of CA.

--Brant

So, are you in? www.chesspostcard.com . You can warm up by playing on their computer if you wish. There are no levels here. Just a rockin' tournament.

Yeah, California Dreamin'. . .I've been there a few times, on a heavy basis, and I loved it. But I live in FL now so it's a whole different dealio. I love it here. Tropics.

I bet you did enjoy that!

r

My Queen Just Got Violated By A Horsie

Edited by Rich Engle

--Brant

So, are you in? www.chesspostcard.com . You can warm up by playing on their computer if you wish. There are no levels here. Just a rockin' tournament.

r

I don't play any more. I peaked after reading a book by Botvinnik in 1960. I played my bro and beat him and he threw up the board. I wasn't naturally better; I had just read that book. I really have no real chess ability; my mind doesn't work that necessary several moves ahead brilliant way. I may be some kind of genius in some kind of way, but I'm not brilliant. I purchased one of those early computer chess games to play against, but it was so slow I threw it away. I mean, if you are a computer--SPIT IT OUT NOW!

--Brant

I don't dig the new system of designating moves at all--they can stick it where the sun don't shine!

--Brant

r

I don't play any more. I peaked after reading a book by Botvinnik in 1960. I played my bro and beat him and he threw up the board. I wasn't naturally better; I had just read that book. I really have no real chess ability; my mind doesn't work that necessary several moves ahead brilliant way. I may be some kind of genius in some kind of way, but I'm not brilliant. I purchased one of those early computer chess games to play against, but it was so slow I threw it away. I mean, if you are a computer--SPIT IT OUT NOW!

--Brant

I don't dig the new system of designating moves at all--they can stick it where the sun don't shine!

I didn't like it at first either. I think actually a mixture of both is good when you're talking about a game. But I'm with you on that--c2 to c4 just isn't sexy.

r

I'll play.

I've played chess since I can remember. I've played chess well since middle school. Read quite a few books and a lot of practice ended up giving me a third-place finish in the Utah state high school tourney. Haven't played much since then, but I'll give it a go.

Mike

Rich,

I usually play on Playchess.com. I believe this is one of the largest and most active sites around.

The software is excellent. It is free and only takes around 5 minutes to download and install. After that, unless you are rated, you will play in the "cafe," which is open to anyone. I'm not really interested in any tourneys, but one on one is fine. For this, however, you will need to register a nick so I can spot you and issue a "challenge." Otherwise, if you sign in as a "guest," you will be assigned a random number.

Let me know if you register with this site and, if so, what your nick is. Mine is "smikro," though I don't usually sign with a name in unless I am expecting to meet someone. I just log in as a guest instead.

Most of the cafe players like speed games of a minute or so, but I normally won't play any game that is less than 10 minutes per side. I prefer 15, even 20.

You might want to fool around with the site and get the hang of it. You can accept an open challenge from another player or issue an open challenge of your own. In the latter case, you determine the time of the game.

Ghs

OK, that's 3 of us. I'll troll the site tomorrow, Georgio.

Let's see if anyone else wants to join. Maybe we can start up end of week or early next week. I'm hoping to get a few more, er, "playahs."

Good, gents. Enough for a start!

rde

OK, that's 3 of us. I'll troll the site tomorrow, Georgio.

Let's see if anyone else wants to join. Maybe we can start up end of week or early next week. I'm hoping to get a few more, er, "playahs."

Good, gents. Enough for a start!

rde

Rich:

I'm in.

Adam

Alright, that's 4 so far (plus I might have a few non-OL friends in for it).

Ghs--

I don't want to do this in real time (although I enjoy that, as a matter of fact I used to play on that very site you mention). The reason being is that it would be unrealistic for people in this kind of thing to schedule live one-on-one's (shoot, maybe I should've not phrased that such, that's a little greasy . . .anyway). My idea is to let it be done using the email chess program, so the pairings can play at their own pace. You have up to a week or so before the thing discards the game, and I think most people would be able to check in at least every day or three, something like that.

And also notate the games, if possible. That way, we could put the notation up and see how it was played. Really easy--you just have one opponent, play to win, publish results, move through the round robin elims.

That's the way I was looking at it. It doesn't have the white hot fun of realtime play but I do believe it would work out pretty well. Make sense?

As far as who plays white (which technically gives you like a 4% advantage, at least in early play), I guess it could be a virtual coin toss or the players could just decide.

rde

Studying his Ninja-Indian Defense. Right.

Ok, boys (only because so far no girls, right?), a couple of updates:

I'm going to wait around a bit longer until we get more players together. Unless you guys want to play in two-man teams, it will be random pairings, best of three. Everyone will have to exchange email addresses right before we launch it.

Also, there is a nice site for printable score sheets and other goodies here: Chessville

rde

I suck at chess, so count me out, but it just occurred to me that it might be kind of fun to try to come up with an anarchist variation on chess.

I was thinking that the goal would be to be the first to eliminate one's own government (king, queen, bishops, knights and rooks) while keeping at least one civilian (pawn) alive.

One possible way to make it work would be to have the players control their own pawns, but their opponent's "government." Maybe pawns could move one step in any direction, but would still be limited to diagonal attacks? The "government" pieces would move the same as in regular chess, and could be used to attack both the opponent's pawns as well as one's own "government."

Criticism or suggestions, anyone?

J

I suck at chess, so count me out, but it just occurred to me that it might be kind of fun to try to come up with an anarchist variation on chess.

I was thinking that the goal would be to be the first to eliminate one's own government (king, queen, bishops, knights and rooks) while keeping at least one civilian (pawn) alive.

One possible way to make it work would be to have the players control their own pawns, but their opponent's "government." Maybe pawns could move one step in any direction, but would still be limited to diagonal attacks? The "government" pieces would move the same as in regular chess, and could be used to attack both the opponent's pawns as well as one's own "government."

J

Woah. And I haven't even smoked any dope today. I like the idea, sort of. I think I do. I'm going to go smoke some dope now and watch "Searching For Bobby Fischer."

You don't have to be good to enjoy and play chess. I have found that the real pleasure from it is the unique experience of playing with each person. I've had awesome games playing with little kids.

But how many adults truly know how to have fun, right?cool.gif

J

Woah. And I haven't even smoked any dope today. I like the idea, sort of. I think I do. I'm going to go smoke some dope now and watch "Searching For Bobby Fischer."

You don't have to be good to enjoy and play chess. I have found that the real pleasure from it is the unique experience of playing with each person. I've had awesome games playing with little kids.

No Woman No Chess, but speaking of bishops - Rich, ecumenical musical friend, how do you like my Anglican compatriot's Youtube "Straight Outta Compline?" Rev Kyle is the real deal.

J

No Woman No Chess, but speaking of bishops - Rich, ecumenical musical friend, how do you like my Anglican compatriot's Youtube "Straight Outta Compline?" Rev Kyle is the real deal.

For Rich from Carol:

Straight Outta Compline

Not from Russia with Love, but from Toronto with Liturgical Lust?

Adam

J

For Rich from Carol:

Straight Outta Compline

Adam

Adam, I love you. Its so great remembering Compline at Camp Medley. I'm remembering our counsellors who were all Catholics one year and went to mass every night, but mass always at the boy scout camp across the river---

compline was cool, open air prayer - forget the graveyard, breathe in the air!

J

For Rich from Carol:

Straight Outta Compline

Adam

How can you not appreciate good entertainment, right?

J

For Rich from Carol:

Straight Outta Compline

Adam

How can you not appreciate good entertainment, right?

Yes, as freely admitted the blond backflipper is actually a Lutheran but not big deal - "all bapptized Christians" and all that/

Sister Act is another film that captures where churches should be...