Reason, Superstition, and Enthusiasm

You guys lack vision. Resources are, practically speaking, unlimited. It's just a matter of us engineers figuring out how to tap them. But don't worry your precious little minds trying to figure it out, we'll do the work for you, as we always have.

Shayne

animatom2.gifan90.gifatom1.gif

einstein.giforb.gifperl.gifpgquake.gifplasma_ball.gif

IF YOU BUILD IT....

WE WILL BOW...

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY ENGINEER

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF YOU BUILD IT....

WE WILL BOW...

A Randian who doubts the capacity of the human mind to conquer Nature. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

On the other hand, the monkey to human ratio is pretty high, perhaps the monkeys will continue to succeed at dictating what the engineers build and Selene's skepticism will prove warranted.

Shayne

We can't get the monkeys off our backs.

Edited by sjw

You guys lack vision. Resources are, practically speaking, unlimited. It's just a matter of us engineers figuring out how to tap them. But don't worry your precious little minds trying to figure it out, we'll do the work for you, as we always have.

See? This is what I don't get about you. It's not like you don't write good stuff--you do. But it seems to me that there is no way that you can't not inject that shitty tone. What crawled up you and died? It's so bitter, so off-putting. Do you have such a fundamental disdain for most people? Praise and positives come pretty hard for you. Hard way to go through life, I would think.

On top of that, you even went so far as to make it your show, your personal thing, on what was clearly a very clean, academic and historical thread. But you couldn't have that.

I ask you: what is the purpose? How does it serve you, or anyone else?

rde

For real, dude.

Edited by Rich Engle

Shayne

animatom2.gifan90.gifatom1.gif

einstein.giforb.gifperl.gifpgquake.gifplasma_ball.gif

IF YOU BUILD IT....

WE WILL BOW...

Shayne's going to invent a motor that runs on Internet blather.

--Brant

but withhold it from the world

See? This is what I don't get about you. It's not like you don't write good stuff--you do. But it seems to me that there is no way that you can't not inject that shitty tone. What crawled up you and died? It's so bitter, so off-putting. Do you have such a fundamental disdain for most people? Praise and positives come pretty hard for you. Hard way to go through life, I would think.

On top of that, you even went so far as to make it your show, your personal thing, on what was clearly a very clean, academic and historical thread. But you couldn't have that.

rde

For real, dude.

It was Xray who dog-legged the thread.

--Brant

Shayne is Shayne, you are you, me is me

rde

For real, dude.

It's more important to be nice than to be right.

Shayne

You tend to fit in with the cattle better.

I like how it's all my fault.

Shayne

Can't blame the morons, they're to dumb to be guilty of anything.

IF YOU BUILD IT....

WE WILL BOW...

A Randian who doubts the capacity of the human mind to conquer Nature. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

On the other hand, the monkey to human ratio is pretty high, perhaps the monkeys will continue to succeed at dictating what the engineers build and Selene's skepticism will prove warranted.

Shayne

We can't get the monkeys off our backs.

Once again, the rule of the airmen--over monkeys.

--Brant

the human mind will win the battles, nature will win the war because this species will pass--pass on, we know not where to

Once again, the rule of the airmen--over monkeys.

Get off of Rearden's back.

the human mind will win the battles, nature will win the war because this species will pass--pass on, we know not where to

The only true limit is energy availability. There is no reason to suppose that we can't transform matter into whatever we want, so long as we can obtain the energy. We can learn to create a biosphere, we can learn to conquer disease, we can in principle survive as an ever-improving species for as long as we can get the energy. At some point that may become impossible, but not for long time after the Sun is finished.

But not so long as the monkeys like to bind everyone who's trying to improve things.

Shayne

What makes a natural resource a resource is the human mind.

--Brant

Yes. On this point you can go ahead and call me an Objectivist.

Shayne

Dehumanizing people by calling them "monkeys" leaves open the way for them being treated like monkeys.

--Brant

Please. I'm not the monkey waving around guns forcing the creative people to do things their way. I call them monkeys because they use guns to get their way. They act like animals so I call them animals. All they have to do is stop waving the guns around and I'll stop calling them monkeys.

Shayne

Dehumanizing people by calling them "monkeys" leaves open the way for them being treated like monkeys.

--Brant

Please. I'm not the monkey waving around guns forcing the creative people to do things their way. I call them monkeys because they use guns to get their way. They act like animals so I call them animals. All they have to do is stop waving the guns around and I'll stop calling them monkeys.

Shayne

You've narrowed the category.

--Brant

--Brant

Bullshit. You simply can't discern implication on the first try. Then you blame it on me. I said earlier "monkeys will continue to succeed at dictating what the engineers build" -- who gets to dictate? The only people who can't dictate. The people who point the guns (directly or indirectly).

I respect you Brant, but I'd respect you more if you didn't pull punk crap like this.

Shayne

--Brant

Bullshit. You simply can't discern implication on the first try. Then you blame it on me. I said earlier "monkeys will continue to succeed at dictating what the engineers build" -- who gets to dictate? The only people who can't [sic]dictate. The people who point the guns (directly or indirectly).

I respect you Brant, but I'd respect you more if you didn't pull punk crap like this.

Shayne

People with money dictate. Ministers dictate. Fathers dictate. On and on and on. I try to avoid engaging you, but they keep pulling me back in.

--Brant

you'd respect me more if I agreed with you more

Hey, George--this is really working out, isn't it? rolleyes.gif

You can build a perfect primate habitat, but that will not stop them from flinging their poo at one another.

rde

Don't you monkey with the monkey.

Edited by Rich Engle

you'd respect me more if I agreed with you more

You'd agree with me more if you'd drop your petty agendas.

Shayne

- "They" aren't pulling you in, you are.

Selene's next of kin:

Shayne:

Congratulations! This is actually a step up to mature satire.

Now if you could mature to a plane where you do not refer to fellow OL'ers as "liars," "punks" and other immature and infantile names, you could achieve some inner peace of mind.

Just a friendly suggestion.

Adam

excellent video Shayne

Edited by Selene

Now if you could mature to a plane where you do not refer to fellow OL'ers as "liars," "punks" and other immature and infantile names, you could achieve some inner peace of mind.

Hey punk, when did I ever call someone a liar?

Shayne

Hey punk, when did I ever call someone a liar?

Shayne

You are correct child and I was incorrect. You implied that someone else had called you a liar.

I stand corrected.

The post has been corrected.

Edited by Selene

Rick says I need to pay him compliments more often. Maybe I should take him out to dinner and a movie more often too.

Speaking of Reason, Superstition, and Enthusiasm, and appreciating OL members, I recently had a foray in a local Utah liberty (sic) forum. The place is of course chock full of Mormons, and I got a really stiff dose of their infamous passive aggressive behavior. As it turns out, you can't say that what someone said is "wrong"; that's impolite. And if they dress you down for saying someone is wrong, and you point out that they are saying that someone is wrong for saying someone is wrong, which is hypocritical, boy do their feathers ruffle.

The behavior is of course a learned habit, ingrained in the very young. If you can nip dissent in the bud as quickly as possible, then existing power hierarchies can continue to milk the population at a rate of 10% of gross income.

OL is such a refreshing change of pace. Here you can say someone is wrong, and the worst you get is Brant acting like a punk. So, my compliments ;)

Shayne

Hey, George--this is really working out, isn't it? rolleyes.gif

You can build a perfect primate habitat, but that will not stop them from flinging their poo at one another.

rde

Don't you monkey with the monkey.

I'm staying out of this one. :rolleyes:

Ghs