Glenn Beck's Last Show on Fox

Glenn Beck's Last Show on Fox - June 30, 2011

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-Oeykp3-UWM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I not only watched this, as I am a subscriber to his Insider Extreme membership site, which comes with his new GBTV venture that will formally start in September, I got to see him do a Q&A of what is coming.

All I can say is that this guy is one hell of a visionary. He gets communication and social media. Here are just a couple of things to look for in the future.

1. He is pushing connection with young people hard. He already has S.E. Cupp (an atheist, incidentally) as one of his rising stars. He has recently hired a community organizer (which might be her--I'm not sure) to go around to colleges and high schools and help set up freedom organizations, and he has hired a young guy named Raj Nair (from ESPN, UWIRE, Rolling Stone, etc.) to be the face of GBTV. According to the Q&A interview he just did with Raj, this young man is putting together a project where his life is in danger, but that's all they will say about it right now. Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be inspiring and piss a lot of people off.

2. Although GBTV is Internet based, Beck will be using cutting-edge technology (in partnership with a baseball TV organization) where people will be able to watch it on their normal TV, on mobile devices, even on the Xbox. He is also setting up a service where--when people watch it on their computers--they will be able to slice off parts of clips and make their own projects according to their own research and send it to him. There will be access to an information bank so that if he is doing a show on, say, The Tides Foundation, people will be able to pause, drill down through as many layers of the the previous material as they need to come up to speed, then go back watching. He will encourage everyone to send their mash-up projects from their own slants.

I believe the leakage from this to YouTube, etc., will make it impossible for the current news media to keep the same power it now has in terms of promoting lies. It is already discredited and I think this venture will force people to present correct facts if they want to stay in business.

I have read a few comments from different media people over the days leading up to this. In Brazil, they say that on TV, nobody creates anything, they only re-create things. Imitation is the name of the game. This is what gave me the uneasy feeling I got reading the comments. Beck is taking a HUGE gamble on this venture--and he is doing it with a paid model. I sense everyone around keeping a vulture-like sharp eye on what he is doing to see if they can imitate it. This is sort of like what happened with reality TV.

These are exciting times. Glenn Beck is a prime mover in so many ways it is breathtaking, but especially in connecting philosophy to social movements in the mainstream, and now in innovating with high-tech media resources.

In the show above, he gave an overview of the subjects he has brought to the attention of the American public and made go mainstream. It just goes on and on. All we need to notice, though, to get an idea of the cultural sweep he has caused is that talking about the Founding Fathers was not cool in the mainstream--in fact is was kind of dorky--until he started plugging them a couple of years ago. Now George Washington is the dude.

I feel enormously honored to be Glenn Beck's fan.

Michael

Beck is taking a HUGE gamble on this venture--and he is doing it with a paid model.

This reminds me of Howard Stern, who switched to a pay service then quickly disappeared from my consciousness. Beck will have the benefit of the 2012 election cycle to bring him attention, but this idea of letting people leak his content could backfire on him (out of context, it's easy to make him look/sound like a fool). Another thing, my 93 year old Grandmother looooves him, but there's no way she'll be getting on the internet, or fiddling with whatever technology she already has, just to keep seeing him.

New Yorkers better get their heckling in fast, because Glenn Beck is headed for the Lone Star State.

The TV host and commentator recently sold his New Canaan, Conn., mansion, to Maura Abeln Smith, recently named general counsel of PepsiCo, for $3.6 million. The listing agent, Lynne Leonard, confirmed Beck was headed to Texas.

"They are going to the Dallas area," Leonard told the Daily News. "They will be renting. [here] It's secure and gated."

Another thing, my 93 year old Grandmother looooves him...

Dennis,

Your grandmother is obviously a cool lady.

:)

Michael

Cool? Um, no. Not even remotely.