Is your commute killing you?

This comes as absolutely no surprise at all. You already spend forty hours or more working. Why do you spend an insane amount of time driving to and from your job, especially when gas prices are out of this world?

http://www.slate.com/id/2295603/

In my humble opinion, if you spend more than half an hour going to your job one way, you are crazy.

"...Commuting is a migraine-inducing life-suck—a mundane task about as pleasurable as assembling flat-pack furniture or getting your license renewed, and you have to do it every day. If you are commuting, you are not spending quality time with your loved ones. You are not exercising, doing challenging work, having sex, petting your dog, or playing with your kids (or your Wii). You are not doing any of the things that make human beings happy. Instead, you are getting nauseous on a bus, jostled on a train, or cut off in traffic...."

Edited by Chris Baker

Yeah, it is horrible. By the time I get out of bed, go to the bathroom, take out the dog, make coffee, then stumble back into the office I'm ready to call it a day.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of this depends on the nature of your commute and what you do with it.

I've had long commutes, I've had short commutes, and I've had really long commutes.

The longest was when gas prices were at their peak and consisted of a mile walk, a 45 min bus ride and a mile walk, each way. I found the time productive. The mile walks gave me time to center myself, I exercised, and I was able to feed my podcast addiction. On the bus I was able to read.

Commuting is like life: It is what you make of it.

Frankly, I suggest podcasts and/or audio books. Atlas is amazing as an audio book and there's plenty of free podcasts available.

A lot of this depends on the nature of your commute and what you do with it.

I've had long commutes, I've had short commutes, and I've had really long commutes.

The longest was when gas prices were at their peak and consisted of a mile walk, a 45 min bus ride and a mile walk, each way. I found the time productive. The mile walks gave me time to center myself, I exercised, and I was able to feed my podcast addiction. On the bus I was able to read.

Commuting is like life: It is what you make of it.

Frankly, I suggest podcasts and/or audio books. Atlas is amazing as an audio book and there's plenty of free podcasts available.

Fred:

I agree, I have had "long" commutes on the LIRR. I read, played chess and conversed with folks and made the time exceptional. Some folks that I rode with had a set bridge game and conversation every day. If you are alert and active, a commute is energizing and valuable.

Welcome to OL. What type of enslavement are you in to support the state? [FYI - I ask everyone a variation of this question]

Adan

Fred:

I agree, I have had "long" commutes on the LIRR. I read, played chess and conversed with folks and made the time exceptional. Some folks that I rode with had a set bridge game and conversation every day. If you are alert and active, a commute is energizing and valuable.

Welcome to OL. What type of enslavement are you in to support the state? [FYI - I ask everyone a variation of this question]

Adan

Yeah, the first thing that occured to me when I read this thread was "Obviously these people have never been near Manhatten."

I don't see myself as a slave or servent. I'm a trader, I exchange value for value.

Fred:

Adan

Yeah, the first thing that occured to me when I read this thread was "Obviously these people have never been near Manhatten."

I don't see myself as a slave or servant. I'm a trader, I exchange value for value.

Fred:

Good answer. I will phrase it another way, what do you do as a trader? As a profession? Entrepreneur?

Actually, there are quite a few folks who are familiar with NY City, but many have not been here in years.

Adam

"Obviously you did not read anything else."

I read the Slate article, in addition to, earlier in my life, some Aristotle, Plato and Jane Austen. Now I have two questions.

1) Why would you assume that anyone who undertakes a long commute must be crazy?

2) Why would you assume that anyone who asked you that question "obviously" could not have read the linked article?

Edited by Starbuckle

Fred:

Good answer. I will phrase it another way, what do you do as a trader? As a profession? Entrepreneur?

Actually, there are quite a few folks who are familiar with NY City, but many have not been here in years.

Adam

I work in records management. (Hard copy paper record storage and destruction, not the exciting kind.)

And I'm barely familiar with NYC (although I was there this wknd for a wedding) but I live close enough (Schenectady) to know from others about commuting in and out and around.

I'd never want to live there.

<br>"Obviously you did not read anything else."<br><br>I read the Slate article, in addition to, earlier in my life, some Aristotle, Plato and Jane Austen. Now I have two questions.<br><br>1) Why would you assume that anyone who undertakes a long commute must be crazy?<br><br>2) Why would you assume that anyone who asked you that question "obviously" could not have read the linked article?<br>
<br><br>The answer to Question #1 was in my first post. You didn't even have to read the article. Reading my first post would have been enough. I have cut and paste it here for your convenience:<br><br>"...Commuting is a migraine-inducing life-suck—a mundane task about as   pleasurable as assembling flat-pack furniture or getting your license   renewed, and you have to do it <i>every day</i>. If you  are commuting,  you are not spending quality time with your loved ones.  You are not  exercising, doing challenging work, having sex, petting  your dog, or  playing with your kids (or your Wii). You are not doing  any of the  things that make human beings happy. Instead, you are  getting nauseous  on a bus, jostled on a train, or cut off in  traffic...." Edited by Chris Baker

Many years ago I commuted by train about 45 minutes each way. It was this type and not packed. I was seated and comfortable. I used most of that time on the train to study for actuarial exams.

I guess that makes me certifiably crazy. Send the men in white uniforms carrying a straitjacket. :)