Al-Jazeera

Mike Renzulli

I wanted to comment with regards to comments someone made on these boards regarding the network Al-Jazeera. The individual (whose name escapes me at the moment) said they thought Al-Jazeera was a good source of reporting and information in terms of the goings on in the Middle East.

I would suggest questioning anything that is reported by that network. Al-Jazeera has been caught reporting one thing on their English language programs but something completely the opposite on their Arab language networks.

For example, last year when the Gaza flotilla incident occured, Al-Jazeera reported on the English side that the Gaza flotilla was a peaceful effort to bring aid to Gazans yet on their Arab language channels they ran a story from the Mavi Marmara ship in which footage was shown of Arab/Muslim participants chanting a song with verses discussing killing Jews. Then the same news report cut to a woman who stated that they hoped for either victory by breaking the Israeli blockade or martyrdom.

http://www.palwatch.org/main.aspx?fi=157&doc_id=2323

Edited by Mike Renzulli

Mike:

I suggested it as a good news broadcast as long as you understood their "spin" and or their "bias." Their coverage of the world compared to American main stream media is exponentially better.

I understand that their English language feed is slanted.

Adam

Oh okay, Adam. Thanks for clarifying.

Mike:

I suggested it as a good news broadcast as long as you understood their "spin" and or their "bias." Their coverage of the world compared to American main stream media is exponentially better.

I understand that their English language feed is slanted.

Adam

I would suggest actually watching that channel and deciding for oneself. What a concept, in Objectiv-ish circles! Try actually viewing what you're talking about, as a wild and crazy experiment.

It's easier than ever to do so. Not only does english.aljazeera.net stream its English broadcasts, many local nonprofit and PBS stations are carrying half-hour news digests on digital over-the-air sub-channels.

I was impressed with their even-handed coverage and risking of personal life and limb, not just in reporting (despite Arab government repression!) from venues such as Tahrir Square in Cairo, but on such stories as the earthquakes in New Zealand and Japan. In the latter cases, they got local detail and flavor that I never saw on "our" hype-and-celebrity-obsessed media. It was different and distinctly refreshing.

The original posting is an "argument" from the unseen, for anyone here who doesn't speak Arabic, and I'm sure that takes in most of us. It also equivocates between desires and actual bullets. (And doesn't distinguish between feelings toward Jews, as such, and those toward Zionists.)

Edited by Greybird

For example, last year when the Gaza flotilla incident occured, Al-Jazeera reported on the English side ... yet on their Arab language channels ...

A few years ago, as a patrol officer on midnights I used to listen to the BBC Worldwide, smugly confident that I was getting "world news." Then, perhaps in a dreamlike state of heightened awareness, I realized that every story was interesting, even though they were in London UK and I was in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I never heard a news story from any place on Earth where there was not direct US government involvement. Are their English-language programs are different from their American broadcasts?

You mean a mainstream media organization is biased and practices deception?

Jeez!

What a thought!

What's the world coming to?

:)

(Yeah, I've read reports that Al-Jazeera sometimes makes radical contradictory differences in presenting the same story, depending on the language and locale. But I believe informed people should look at it all and decide for themselves. Look at Al-Jazeera if truly interested and look at the watchdog reports on it like PMW. That goes for things like Jihad Watch, too. Nothing should ever replace a person using his own mind based on his own observations.)

Michael

I watch AJ regularly and fully endorse it as above the norm of North American news broadcasting.

It is staffed by Arabs so its perspective should not be any more shocking than Fox news touting the pro-GOP line.

Programs like Riz Khan's regularly feature all sides of a story such as giving equal time during debates between Finklestein and Israeli Generals, encouraging level of impartiality utterly lacking in the other 'news service' I mentioned above.

They carry news from around the world from the perspective of the marginalized, colonized and oppressed.

AJ is the only network whose objectivity has been so pronounced as to have it banned in every single middle eastern nation which carries it, from Saudi Arabia to Israel. That speaks volumes.

Ra! Ra! Hezbolla! Ra! Ra! Hezbolla!

Edited by Joel Mac Donald