M-Audio's amazing new Venom Keyboard

Rich Engle

At 499.95 this thing is a no-brainer. M-Audio is a great company anyway. If you were ever toying with the idea of getting into creative keyboarding, this would be the bomb. This thing is going to get used everywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7zCMmEiCKQ

I'm a huge synthesizer fan myself.

Venom's onboard synth is really lacking IMO. It sounds weak and thin to my ears.

If you want to get some really serious synthesizing power at a low price, may I suggest a few things...

1) Waldorf Blofeld (small desktop synth with amazing power... one of the best sounding digital synths ever and incredibly versatile)

2) Dave Smith Instruments Evolver (pure total sonic destruction; a 4-oscillator monosynth that hybridizes digital and analog technology... kind of a hybrid of the Pro-One and the Prophet VS, this thing is AMAZING for industrial music)

Both of the above can sound monumentally brutal.

Other fantastic synths for really evil sounds... well, the industry leader is the Access Virus but its extremely expensive (however as a Virus owner myself, it sounds orgasmic). The Nord Lead 3 is kind of the opposite to the Virus; the Virus is dark and growly whereas the Nord 3 sounds bright, metallic and shrieky (the FM is fantastic). The Nord 3 can sound like a rusty scalpel if you want it to. Also, for someone that owns lots of guitar effects, the Nords are great (they take very well to guitar pedals), but again they aren't inexpensive.

Buy gear second-hand and over ebay. You save tons.

I'm a huge synthesizer fan myself.

Venom's onboard synth is really lacking IMO. It sounds weak and thin to my ears.

If you want to get some really serious synthesizing power at a low price, may I suggest a few things...

1) Waldorf Blofeld (small desktop synth with amazing power... one of the best sounding digital synths ever and incredibly versatile)

2) Dave Smith Instruments Evolver (pure total sonic destruction; a 4-oscillator monosynth that hybridizes digital and analog technology... kind of a hybrid of the Pro-One and the Prophet VS, this thing is AMAZING for industrial music)

Both of the above can sound monumentally brutal.

Other fantastic synths for really evil sounds... well, the industry leader is the Access Virus but its extremely expensive (however as a Virus owner myself, it sounds orgasmic). The Nord Lead 3 is kind of the opposite to the Virus; the Virus is dark and growly whereas the Nord 3 sounds bright, metallic and shrieky (the FM is fantastic). The Nord 3 can sound like a rusty scalpel if you want it to. Also, for someone that owns lots of guitar effects, the Nords are great (they take very well to guitar pedals), but again they aren't inexpensive.

Buy gear second-hand and over ebay. You save tons.

I dunno about weak and thin. It is definitely transparent sounding, very techno-ish. The sounds could be EQ'd all kinds of ways. I like the creative aspects of it.

Right now for hard synths just using a Korg Karma and an older Kurzweil (K2600). The rest of the stuff we do ambient in a hall with a grand, etc.

But the ones you mention, oh yes. So many/so little time . . .