Love and Work, ESPN style

Waiting for the game to start, I am idly remembering my adolescent crushes on my school basketball and soccer stars, and on my Saturday night TV hockey stars, and thinking of the fates of the girls who actually married those guys. To be the love object of such heroes seemed, when I was 13 or 14, to be the epitome of romance. At 18 I thought of those athletes as collectivisst barbarians, although uniquely attractive. Now I think of them as lucky professionals, one-trick ponys with blazingly satisfying and frustrating skills which use up all of themselves. They're still attractive.

Athletes are cognate with actors in the degree of temptation to infidelity they are exposed to; I wonder if it's possible to know how often(compared with others) they succumb. Or if there is a differential between sports. Being me I tend to think that hockey players are more faithful, though I know that puck bunnies are as numerous as Baseball Annies and the groupies of basketball and football (what are they called? Baby Mamas?)

I do know that there has never been a sex scandal in Curling, for obvious reasons.

Question for the single: if you were forced to marry either an actor or a professional athlete, who would you pick?

Waiting for the game to start, I am idly remembering my adolescent crushes on my school basketball and soccer stars, and on my Saturday night TV hockey stars, and thinking of the fates of the girls who actually married those guys. To be the love object of such heroes seemed, when I was 13 or 14, to be the epitome of romance. At 18 I thought of those athletes as collectivisst barbarians, although uniquely attractive. Now I think of them as lucky professionals, one-trick ponys with blazingly satisfying and frustrating skills which use up all of themselves. They're still attractive.

Athletes are cognate with actors in the degree of temptation to infidelity they are exposed to; I wonder if it's possible to know how often(compared with others) they succumb. Or if there is a differential between sports. Being me I tend to think that hockey players are more faithful, though I know that puck bunnies are as numerous as Baseball Annies and the groupies of basketball and football (what are they called? Baby Mamas?)

I do know that there has never been a sex scandal in Curling, for obvious reasons.

Question for the single: if you were forced to marry either an actor or a professional athlete, who would you pick?

It would depend on the signing bonus for the athlete and of course no ante-nuptial agreements.

Now the actor creates more problems, unless they already had significant assets, and then, of course, no ante-nuptial agreements would be signed.

Edited by Selene

It would depend on the signing bonus for the athlete and of course no ante-nuptial agreements.

Now the actor creates more problems, unless they already had significant assets, and then, of course, no ante-nuptial agreements would be signed.

Yes, very reasonable. But who would you choose? Renee Zellweger or Joannie Rochette?

Yes, very reasonable. But who would you choose? Renee Zellweger or Joannie Rochette?

220px-ReneeZellweger.jpg

Zellweger, 2009 I liked her in Chicago

200px-Joannie_Rochette_Podium_2008_4CC.jpg But then again, for a short term marriage...there are those splits that do catch my attention...hmmm

the skater wins!

Adam,

Of course I agree with your choice. I love Joannie - I went to see her at an appearance and in person she is ethereally beautiful, a true heroine.

I married a man whose ruling passion was the practice and promotion of soccer, and whose main other preoccupations were making a living, unionizing, reading and watching hockey, Cdn football and curling.These activities provide security for a spouse since they are conducted in public with other men or in private with the wife. An actor is away on film sets making pretend love to gorgeous women and meeting all sorts of cute makeup girls, not to mention the fans. You can't even trust the nannies. The multimillion dollar lifestyles and divorce settlements probably ease the pain considerably though.