Your Review of Atlas Shrugged

syrakusos

I saw it the moment it opened, 12:10 PM, Friday, April 15. The work was credible. I found it impossible to imagine seeing the movie without having read the book. So, for me, it was a matter of my own visualizations versus their realizations.

I felt that Graham Beckel as Ellis Wyatt did the most credible job of projecting the character. Taylor Schilling delivered her lines well, but she has not deeply felt what it is like to grow up around trains, major in engineering, and all the rest. Her acting, like all of their acting, was competent acting. But Beckel really looked and felt like an oil man from Colorado. Grant Bowler did not feel like a man who bought his first steel mill at 25, after being hungry on the streets at 12. The exchange of the bracelet could have been done closer to the book. But he was OK. The ride along the John Galt Line could have been shot from the nose of the cab. In the abandoned 20th Century Motor Works, Schilling swallowed her line about "altruism."

But it was all right. It was not my movie to make. Like the works of Jane Austen, the works of Ayn Rand are known verbatim by her fans. It's a high bar to jump over. I would - and will - pay the price of admission once more to see it again soon.

I will see it today, but I'm afraid the bar has been set quite high, by the book.

I'll post my reaction this evening.

I saw the movie this morning. I give it a B.

If the writers cleverly intended to merely hint at Rand's philosophy in order to get people to see the movie and then buy the book, in order to set the stage for Part 2, they did a fantastic job of that. I loved the actors, especially Dagny and Ellis Wyatt. Hank Reardon grew on me.

The dialogue was a tad jarring at times--and delivered with too much cool, and not enough heat. I wonder how newcomers will react to the dialogue without knowledge of the background of the book.

The soundtrack was okay. I am not a music person, but I must say I found the soundtrack out of congruence with the feel of the film, especially at the very end.

I was at the premiere last night in NYC .

David Kelley and The Atlas Society put on a simply wonderful event.

It was so enjoyable as numerous cast members spoke before the movie and gave some insight.

My concern before the movie was how would people who have not read Atlas Shrugged understand the movie without all the background of the book. I believe that when people see this movie , they will want to read Atlas .

I very much enjoyed it .

:D

Loved it! We took the kid and he loved it too. I hope the movie catches on so I can see the other parts. The plot adaptation worked, the scenery and the bridge were pretty sweet and the two lead characters seemed to work well together. It was better than I expected although not perfect. The biggest issue that I had was the casting. Everyone was too young, particularly little Jimmy Taggart. The Owen Kellogg scene was almost comical because the guy was such a dweeb you would think Dagny would be firing him rather than giving him a promotion.

Go see it.

Kat

The Owen Kellogg scene was almost comical because the guy was such a dweeb you would think Dagny would be firing him rather than giving him a promotion.

That made me laugh on the inside.

I saw Atlas Shrugged today as well. I thought it was good. Not at the level of the book, of course, but I didn't expect it to be. I enjoyed it and I'll probably see it again with a friend. I went with my grandma this time, and she enjoyed it as well, although she never read the book. She was able to follow the story for the most part, which gives me hope that others who haven't read the book will be able to follow it also, and hopefully they will be inspired to read the book afterward.

I thought the acting was good overall, though it did feel slightly... off now and then for some reason. I liked the casting of most of the characters, especially the actress who played Dagny, and I thought the Wesley Mouch casting was spot on. Did he remind anyone else of Barney Frank? The only one who was a little out of place looks-wise for me was Ellis Wyatt. The acting was great, he just didn't look as I imagined when I read the book. I hope this film does well; I'd really like to see parts two and three.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't they leave out the part where Hank goes off on Dagny the morning after they sleep together? Or was that later in the book?

The Owen Kellogg scene was almost comical because the guy was such a dweeb you would think Dagny would be firing him rather than giving him a promotion.

I liked that. I understood it, to the core. In a rational world where people who are motivated by the ideas portrayed in Rand's work, who do you think would be in charge? Our world is a collectivist tribalist remnant which is only now discovering individualism. Even among Objectivists and "libertarians" you get true believers. The LP convention organizes people alphabetically by state. Is that individualist thinking?

Dagny would see the brilliant mind. When she said that she was "grooming him for management" what do you think she meant? He just needs a couple of classes or seminars in public speaking and project management. It is in our world of the collectivist corportation and the altruist state that the Owen Kelloggs of the world do not find leadership within complex organizations.

Atlas Shrugged is not a political novel. It is a philosophical detective story about the theft and recovery of genius.

I wish that Atlas was about half an hour longer so that the characters and situations could have been better developed. We don't really get why she would offer a dweeb the world to stay, although it is pretty clear in the book. I guess in my internal movie, I would have expected a blue collar Joe the Plumber type in the part.

Here's a great little trailer put out by FreedomWorks. Enjoy!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DK7B6mAIhU0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

While waiting for the movie to begin, I thought back to the first time I read AS. It was 1968 and I was in the Army and stationed in Japan. The book had a monumental impact on my thinking. I also vividly recalled the time I drove with a friend to Boston to see and listen to a talk given by Rand at the Ford Hall Forum. I believe the year was 1971.

Now, some 40 years later (where did the time go?), her epic novel was just moments away from being on the big screen. The anticipation was chilling.

Let me first say that my expectations were not high, considering the low budget for the film, the size and scope of the novel & the fact AR didn't write the screenplay. Having said that I would rate the film a solid "B", that is, "good". I didn't like the actor playing Francisco, he looked too unsophisticated and scruffy for my taste, hardly the type to deliver the incredible "money speech". Additionally, the actor playing James Taggart was too young and almost comical for such a part. The rest of cast, I believe, did a very good job.

I agree with Kat, and for the reason she stated, that the movie should have been a half hour longer. It seemed to fly by, with good, not great, cinematography and sets. I liked the way the film ended, leaving the audience to wonder what happened to those who left society and perhaps wanting to see pt. 2.

Walking to my car for the return trip home, I thought how Atlas Shrugged, the novel, "deserved" a blockbuster size budget and well-known, top quality actors. Nevertheless, all things considered, I'm happy it is what it is, if only for the hope it may draw new readers to the book.

I wonder what AR's critique would have been. Would she have shrugged?

Edited by Las Vegas

As a side note, I would have liked Keifer Sutherland as Rearden and Jodie Foster as Dagny.

> I agree with Kat, and for the reason she stated, that the movie should have been a half hour longer. [LV, 10]

To get it shown, they had to cut it to movie theaters' comfort zone.

But I assume they still have parts that were filmed but had to be trimmed, so we can look forward to a "directors cut" at some point?

Of all the TV hosts Sean Hannity promoted the film most, particularly on his Friday night's show. He said it was one of his favorite all-time movies & had read the book while in college. He urged his audience to go see it. Surprising, since he is a devout Catholic.

Edited by Las Vegas

As a side note, I would have liked Keifer Sutherland as Rearden and Jodie Foster as Dagny.

In the very near future, if not already today, you will be able to animate your own movie version with the stars you prefer in the roles you choose. Market it, if you want or can. I think that intellectual property rights as we know them are dead, but not buried. Regardless, you can always make it for your own enjoyment.

Does anyone else know very well another book of the same scope that has been made into a movie? We own or have seen every Pride and Prejudice. Some are better than others, regardless of the matinee draw of the stars.

I think that like that, and Star Trek, this movie will play best to fans.

Does anyone else know very well another book of the same scope that has been made into a movie? We own or have seen every Pride and Prejudice. Some are better than others, regardless of the matinee draw of the stars.

Gone With the Wind.

I think I will go see it again tomorrow after the tea party. By then they should have had the time to fix the flaws in the movie, replaced the actors with people at least 10 years older (Jodie, you in?) and made it a half hour longer.

Kat

Gone With the Wind.

War and Peace...

I think I will go see it again tomorrow after the tea party. By then they should have had the time to fix the flaws in the movie, replaced the actors with people at least 10 years older (Jodie, you in?) and made it a half hour longer.

Kat

Agree that a half hour more would had taken care of much of the seeming discrepancies...