Gender Roles and Beauty in Atlas Shrugged

Matus1976

The musical is American, though it's set in England and came from an English play, so it may not count.

One that comes to mind is Funny Face, an Audrey Hepburn / Fred Astaire musical from the late 50s, contemporary with Atlas Shrugged. She's a bookstore clerk you wouldn't look at twice; he's a photographer who looks twice and takes her to Paris to turn her into a star model.

This is starting to get interesting.

Edited by Reidy

The musical is American, though it's set in England and came from an English play, so it may not count.

One that comes to mind is Funny Face, an Audrey Hepburn / Fred Astaire musical from the late 50s, contemporary with Atlas Shrugged. She's a bookstore clerk you wouldn't look at twice; he's a photographer who looks twice and takes her to Paris to turn her into a star model.

This is starting to get interesting.

Good one.

I realize that this kind of goes off topic. But if you ask me what the characters in any novel I've read look like, I would not be able to tell you. How many people pay attention to such things?

On another board, a guy posted that he wondered what motivated them to make Dagny a blond in the movie. I pointed out that they probably didn't think about Dagny's hair color at all.

This may have something to do with the fact that I am much more auditory than visual.

Thank you to the person who pointed out Rand's comment about Katharine Hepburn. I have long wondered what Rand thought of Hepburn.

Rand seemed to admire women who were strong and feminine at the same time. I imagine this is the reason why she liked Charlie's Angels. The show featured women who were smart, tough, independent, and capable. They also never forgot that they were ladies, although I don't ever remember any of the angels having boy friends or throwing themselves at men.