You have to see this: virtual magnetic monopole flow!

BaalChatzaf

Please have a look at this.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/69822/title/Magnetricity_behaves_like_electricity#video

These people have created virtual magnetic monopoles and gotten them to flow like electricity. Never a dull moment in the wonderful world of physics!

Ba'al Chatzaf

• 5 months later...

While we are pondering magnetic monopoles (postulated by Dirac) have you every wondered WHY magnets work? Purcell showed that the magnetic field (so called) is the really the consequence of the Lorentz Fitzgerald Contraction (see

http://physics.weber...rr/MRRtalk.html for a light but sufficient account). Which still leaves the question open in one way or the other WHY do magnets pull and push on each other?

I still do not not quite WHY. I know something about the HOW but from a classical and a quantum theoretical view. But why? There is a little voice in my head that sounds exactly like the physicist Brian Cox who some of you have seen and heard on you tube or the science channel That Brian Cox voice keeps telling me that magnetism is fooking magic. (I love that Manchester accent, don't you?).

Just an historical tid-bit. It was magnetism that got young Albert Einstein wondering about how the world works. His Dad gave him a magnetic compass to play with when he was four or five and it got young Albert's brain grinding and spinning. The utter magic of magnetism enthralled me much later in life. I am buying a bunch of refrigerator magnets for my grandchildren, the kind that look like flat cylinders with a hole in the middle. Put a magnet on a pencil and keep it from falling with your thumb. Now take another magnet so that the faces are like poles. The second magnet will stay above the first. The pencil will keep the magnets from flipping over and sticking together. You can make the upper magnet bounce up and down by pushing down on it a bit and letting go. Like the Brian Cox Voice says: It's fooking magic.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Edited by BaalChatzaf