Best of the Week

For no reason, the BOW committee has received a complaint from the legal representatives of one Leonard Peikoff, in response to which which we unreservedly apologize for characterizing the complainant as "Betty Crocker Peikoff" and will heretofore refer to him as "Dr. Sara Lee Peikoff, Ph.D"

Was the complaint legible because usually his shaky writing with the crayon is not easy to understand?

Edited by Selene

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OBJECTIVEST AS FILM REVIEW

The award goes to Noodlefood:

"It was garbage...it gets an F..

"I could have written a far better script and formatted a far superior film. There are dozens of Objectivist writers out there who could have done the same."

Why was it so bad?

"Because Aglialoro is a Kelleyite fool."

Where are these quotes? I just did a Google search on Comrade Sonia's site and these didn't come up. I'm not up for manually hunting for them. Link please.

For no reason, the BOW committee has received a complaint from the legal representatives of one Leonard Peikoff, in response to which which we unreservedly apologize for characterizing the complainant as "Betty Crocker Peikoff" and will heretofore refer to him as "Dr. Sara Lee Peikoff, Ph.D"

Was the complaint legible because usually his shaky writing with the crayon is not easy to understand?

Yes, barely legible. Our team of graphologists is working on it now with the assistance of a Crayon Consultant. We will be taking pledges for access to their secret report (loyalty oath required).

"I could have written a far better script and formatted a far superior film. There are dozens of Objectivist writers out there who could have done the same."

Why was it so bad?

Where are these quotes? I just did a Google search on Comrade Sonia's site and these didn't come up. I'm not up for manually hunting for them. Link please.

"Because Aglialoro is a Kelleyite fool." Yeah, that's it. Aglialoro is nothing, if not a "Kelleyite Fool." Nothing to admire about Aglialoro whatsoever. Just move along, nothing to see there. I hear he made the 10 Mill he has invested in the film by cashing in a very lucky Lotto ticket in New Jersey. And I hear that Ed Snyder is a moocher and a looter too, and one who has never met a payroll at that. Nothing to admire about him either.

I am sure the Master of the Universe who penned this incisive insult, however, has set, and is currently setting, the world on fire. I am surprised he/she was willing to take time out out of his/her life, and the building of a skyscraper or the invention of a new motor or something, to waste 90 minutes on the film. Lucky us. Always good to see the benevolent universe premise in action, once again.

Why was it so bad?

It was Drew H. on Thread 261 on 4/17, 3.28 pm - "Atlas Shrugged My Review".

I'm sorry ND, I don't know how to do links, I will probably inherit Phil's snippeter mantle.

It was Drew H. on Thread 261 on 4/17, 3.28 pm - "Atlas Shrugged My Review".

I'm sorry ND, I don't know how to do links, I will probably inherit Phil's snippeter mantle.

Just click on the date/time field and the link url comes up. Easy.

http://blog.dianahsieh.com/2011/04/atlas-shrugged-part-1-my-review.html#comment-186363089

Good, better, best, never let it rest, till your good is better, and... well. here's this week's:

BEST AESTHETIC EXPERIENCES THAT HAD NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH AYN RAND or OBJECTIVISM

Canucks advance to the semis/Royal Wedding (tie)

They just were.

BEST SERIES

Rand and Aesthetics, ARCHN blog (ongoing)

Full-bore criticism on the weakest flank of Rand's philosophy. Bash-backs welcome but rare.

BEST PALEO METAPHOR

Malevolent Side of Beef Category

"Attacking them (lberals) is something like attacking a corpse -sure it can be useful, but it's not going to get you anywhere."-James, Noodlefood,Thread 262, 28/4, 7:757

How do you know that, James?

"I've done swordfighting, and many of the better swordsmen use pig carcasses to test how they're swinging a blade, because you never really know if you're doing it right until you hurt something with the blade."

OK, we get it now.

DESPERATION AWARD

Lindsay P uses the royal wedding to remind us that the glories of the British legacy, "warts and all, must never be allowed to succumb to Islamofilth" (Solopassion, 29/2)

BEST CAPTIONER

Rich Engle, Objectivist Living

He wore us down.

• 4 weeks later...

The Canucks! Yes!

The Committee has heard submissions that Objectivism says little, indeed nothing, about ice hockey. True, yet times move on, and we know of at least one famous player and several coaches and team physios who have read Atlas Shrugged, and that is good enough for us.

SOBRIQUET OF THE WEEK

"Valliant's demented tome".

With his trademark devastating brevity, Daniel Barnes defines PARC once and for all on ARCHN.

Henceforth we shall think of Mr Valliant, when and if we do think of him, as Demented Tomer, DT for short.

APOLOGY OF THE WEEK

The Committee have had to relax our vigilance, cease our terrier-like seekings out of excellence, and otherwise cease and desist from everything due to ongoing negotiations between unnameable corporate entities and our small but incorruptible selves. We could say more, and we will, ...whatever has been the best in the past two weeks however, we have no clue but trust to the infallible judgment of our readership to determine.

Edited by daunce lynam

• 2 weeks later...

Solopassion tops this weeks crop of victors, with two awards going to Lindsay Perigo. We could combine them and just give him one, but that would be petty and small of us, and we are physically and psychologically incapable of getting any pettier and smaller.

BACKPATTING AWARD: Linz generously shares his fanmail with the world. A nice rest from having to make it up himself.

WAY TO GO CAREER MOVE: Linz is now propagandist-in-chief for a political party in New Zealand. We don't know if it's a paying gig or not but we hope it works out for him.

INVECTIVE THREE-WAY AWARD; Darren, Olivia and some other guy on Solopassion (ongoing series). Well, obviously its not that solo.

Other awards -

SHAME ON YOU YOU YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE AN OBJECTIVIST WRITER AWARD:

Ed Cline, Rule of Reason Blog

Either Mr Cline does not respect the trademarked intellectual property rights of Go-Kart, or he cannot spell it.

"OFT WAS THOUGHT BUT NE'ER SO WELL EXPRESSED" Award

Ba'al Chaatzaf, Objectivist Living

"The government has no business down our crotches."

Edited by daunce lynam

However, this is a civil service position that I would take if it was limited to me working with out female citizens.

Adam

Always willing to make the sacrifice for my country right or wrong especially when it is this kind of wrong

However, this is a civil service position that I would take if it was limited to me working with out female citizens.

Adam

Always willing to make the sacrifice for my country right or wrong especially when it is this kind of wrong

You are a truly evil man. You force me to

report that up here, in the bastion of respectability which I stanchly uphold, a photo of a penis, allegedly that of one of our politicians, has appeared on the internets. The story is murky.The phone was stolen, says the owner of the phone on which the photo was taken. Stolen after a gathering where I was "shaken and jostled" by a crowd. The photo if it is of me was taken by the shaking and jostling action in my pocket where my phone was.

One of my favourite legislators, Peter Korman, took the opportunity to propose a motion to the provincial parliament: "That the Speaker forthwith ban all Blackberries from the legislative chamber, for the privacy of the members."

Adam

report that up here, in the bastion of respectability which I stanchly uphold, a photo of a penis, allegedly that of one of our politicians, has appeared on the internets. The story is murky.The phone was stolen, says the owner of the phone on which the photo was taken. Stolen after a gathering where I was "shaken and jostled" by a crowd. The photo if it is of me was taken by the shaking and jostling action in my pocket where my phone was.

One of my favourite legislators, Peter Korman, took the opportunity to propose a motion to the provincial parliament: "That the Speaker forthwith ban all Blackberries from the legislative chamber, for the privacy of the members."

Down here, no pun intended, we have "Wienergate" wherein a left wing Jewish Congressman [is there any other type?] allegedly had his Twitter feed hacked and a picture of his "package" in an underwear setting was mysteriously sent to a buxom African American coed in the State of Washington.

Having seen the image of the package, most African American men instantly knew that is had to be a hoax since the Congressman is a left wing Jewish man and clearly "could not measure up" to the expectations of the Afro American coed.

Additionally, the minor Weiner had recently married one of Hilary Clinton's staffers and it is well known that he would have to be a sissy boy metro sexual eunuch who was a little short in the pants and therefore it must have been a hacker.

Adam

Adam

Down here, no pun intended, we have "Wienergate" wherein a left wing Jewish Congressman [is there any other type?] allegedly had his Twitter feed hacked and a picture of his "package" in an underwear setting was mysteriously sent to a buxom African American coed in the State of Washington.

Having seen the image of the package, most African American men instantly knew that is had to be a hoax since the Congressman is a left wing Jewish man and clearly "could not measure up" to the expectations of the Afro American coed.

Additionally, the minor Weiner had recently married one of Hilary Clinton's staffers and it is well known that he would have to be a sissy boy metro sexual eunuch who was a little short in the pants and therefore it must have been a hacker.

Adam

lol. Our unfortunate Mr Lepp is in something of a quandary however, he is a Conservative and must naturally outmeasure everybody.

Adam

Adam

lol. Our unfortunate Mr Lepp is in something of a quandary however, he is a Conservative and must naturally outmeasure everybody.

Caught on the "hornies" of a dilemma then...

• 4 weeks later...

First, a moment of silence. We have just learned the sad news that Bertie, popular Objectivist Living house troll, is missing and presumed dead.

Bertie was on his way to an OL tea party in Florida via Berlin, Warsaw, Calgary, Smolensk and Chicago, when his hot air balloon vanished somewhere over Veritas, Lithuania.

On behalf of the BOTW committee we extend to the bereaved community of hapless trolls worldwide, our sincerest bewilderment.

On a happier note we are pleased to announce the inaugural BOTW - Bridge Over Troubled Waters Award!

The winner is Objectivism Online, who recently featured an inspiring quotation by Nathaniel - not Hawthorne, not West, but (drumroll) Branden!!!

Congratulations to the producers, facilitators and moderators of this Giant Step for Objectivistkind.

HOT CURRENT TOPIC AWARD

Plagiaree George H. Smith's My Amazon/ McElroy thread is approaching 20,000 readers with no sign of abatement. Though some have remarked that Smith is no Theseus and McElroy is a sorry excuse for an Amazon, the saga has been compared to Dynasty and attracted a community of devotees. Will the role of Bertie be recast? Will Wendy Xrated be induced to make a guest appearance? We're all staying tuned.

Still, the thread has a ways to go to beat the 29,000+ numbers of Oonline's smash hit, "How Old Are You?"

And finally, the CAROL CHANNING AWARD goes to Dennis Hardin. On Oonline (what a week they're having!), Dennis shares that back when Hello Dolly was the biggest hit on Broadway, he passed up a ticket for it in order to see Ayn Rand at the NBI. Sources close to Dennis say that it was well worth it. Rand's rendition of "I Enjoy Being a Girl" was nothing short of spectacular, and after her encore of "Yankee Doodle Dandy", there wasn't a dry wit in the house.

Edited by daunce lynam

Update -- there are unconfirmed rumours that Bertie's balloon was powered not only by hot air but by Cold Chopped Logic, the tradename of his controversial patented fuel, and that this risky combination of propellants is suspected as a factor in the disappearance of his craft.

First, a moment of silence. We have just learned the sad news that Bertie, popular Objectivist Living house troll, is missing and presumed dead.

Bertie was on his way to an OL tea party in Florida via Berlin, Warsaw, Calgary, Smolensk and Chicago, when his hot air balloon vanished somewhere over Veritas, Lithuania.

On behalf of the BOTW committee we extend to the bereaved community of hapless trolls worldwide, our sincerest bewilderment.

On a happier note we are pleased to announce the inaugural BOTW - Bridge Over Troubled Waters Award!

The winner is Objectivism Online, who recently featured an inspiring quotation by Nathaniel - not Hawthorne, not West, but (drumroll) Branden!!!

Congratulations to the producers, facilitators and moderators of this Giant Step for Objectivistkind.

HOT CURRENT TOPIC AWARD

Plagiaree George H. Smith's My Amazon/ McElroy thread is approaching 20,000 readers with no sign of abatement. Though some have remarked that Smith is no Theseus and McElroy is a sorry excuse for an Amazon, the saga has been compared to Dynasty and attracted a community of devotees. Will the role of Bertie be recast? Will Wendy Xrated be induced to make a guest appearance? We're all staying tuned.

Still, the thread has a ways to go to beat the 29,000+ numbers of Oonline's smash hit, "How Old Are You?"

And finally, the CAROL CHANNING AWARD goes to Dennis Hardin. On Oonline (what a week they're having!), Dennis shares that back when Hello Dolly was the biggest hit on Broadway, he passed up a ticket for it in order to see Ayn Rand at the NBI. Sources close to Dennis say that it was well worth it. Rand's rendition of "I Enjoy Being a Girl" was nothing short of spectacular, and after her encore of "Yankee Doodle Dandy", there wasn't a dry wit in the house.

Well, well, I finally got mentioned by the Academy. I feel that I have been unfairly passed over by the Academy, having produced many fine zingers on OL that received no awards at all. I began to feel like one of those actors who never received an Academy Award, despite many fine performances, but who was finally given a Lifetime Achievement Award when he was on death's door and could barely stand up to give an acceptance speech. <_<

Georgie, baby, what are you talking? The BOTW don't do bye-bye awards, we're about the buzz, and you're the hot buzz right now, right along with the other stuff we happen to have noticedlaboriously selected from the best of the best.

By the way, your nice lady assistant just picked up your statuette for polishing, she said it was OK by you.

Congrats again!

Georgie, baby, what are you talking? The BOTW don't do bye-bye awards, we're about the buzz, and you're the hot buzz right now, right along with the other stuff we happen to have noticedlaboriously selected from the best of the best.

By the way, your nice lady assistant just picked up your statuette for polishing, she said it was OK by you.

Congrats again!

Yeah, just watch the nameplate on that statuette. Before long, I bet there will be an and on it. If I know my assistant, it will probably read And!, as if a drumroll were taking place. <_<

Do I get to give a boring acceptance speech?

Ghs

Congrats again!

Yeah, just watch the nameplate on that statuette. Before long, I bet there will be an and on it. If I know my assistant, it will probably read And!, as if a drumroll were taking place. <_<

Ghs

I'm afraid we don't consider you capable of that. You could give it a try on the Canadian Boring channel though.

Congrats again!

Ghs

I'm afraid we don't consider you capable of that. You could give it a try on the Canadian Boring channel though.

In that case I will quote the acceptance speech given by Cate Blanchett, when she won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in The Aviator:

I don't have a sense of entitlement or that I deserve this. You'd be surprised at the lack of competition between nominees - I think a lot of it's imposed from the outside. Can I have my champagne now?

Ghs

First, a moment of silence. We have just learned the sad news that Bertie, popular Objectivist Living house troll, is missing and presumed dead . . . we extend to the bereaved community of hapless trolls worldwide, our sincerest bewilderment.

Hapless trolls is good lingo -- it has been a painful pleasure to see Ghs deal with the hooded folk. It is not nice to see the mystery names visit only to park a slur and a sneer at George, while he lays open his life.

It is a strange genre, isn't it? A confessional and polemic and wound debridement. I would definitely read a fictionalized serial, since it would take us all on a rollicking ride through decades of libertariobjectivish fiends and also-rans and snakes and lambs and others. Meaty, decadent, wonderful folks . . .

George, could you squeeze some fiction out of this? I am sure it would sing. You are perhaps uniquely qualified to pen a 'must-read' romance/roman a clef. It would be a secreted treat for potentates and passersby of the last thirty-odd years.

It just makes me think of those tested airport bookrack marketing blurbs: "A lusty, brawling saga of a lusty brawling family."

The characters you know! Neil Schulman alone in a Bizarro Objectiville George H Smith Tell-All . . . other philosophically-damaged folk each a savoury chapter in itself.

The best part was that this was Branden’s Basic Principles lecture on 'The Psychology of Sex.' This would have been 1964—which means that their physical relationship was history, and she was desperately trying to figure out why her former lover was no longer interested. Of course, 1964 was also the year that he began the affair with Patrecia. That would explain the ear-to-ear grin on his face. In fact, looking back on this now, the lecture topic probably explains why Ayn was at least fifteen minutes late, leaving Branden to dance around as many questions as he could on his own. “Well, since Ms. Rand is late, I’ll answer a few of these since I know what she would say…” A little passive aggressive, there, heh, Ayn?

When Ayn finally did arrive, she was not exactly in the mood for singing and dancing. I remember thinking: ‘Whatever you do, don’t ask any questions!' The Q & A was like a test on whether you had memorized Galt’s Speech, word-for-word. “What! You closet mystic! You didn’t read where Galt said. . .!? If you didn't read the book, you can't ask questions!!” Besides, who can sing and dance when you’re holding a cigarette holder the size of a Pompeian phallic symbol? Hmmm. . . Come to think of it, that also explains a lot. Is there any documentation about when she started using that thing?

But thanks, Daunce. I always wanted a statuette of Carol Channing. Maybe if I give it to the friend who bought the "Hello Dolly" tickets 4 months in advance, he will finally speak to me again (almost 50 years later).

First, a moment of silence. We have just learned the sad news that Bertie, popular Objectivist Living house troll, is missing and presumed dead . . . we extend to the bereaved community of hapless trolls worldwide, our sincerest bewilderment.

Hapless trolls is good lingo -- it has been a painful pleasure to see Ghs deal with the hooded folk. It is not nice to see the mystery names visit only to park a slur and a sneer at George, while he lays open his life.

It is a strange genre, isn't it? A confessional and polemic and wound debridement. I would definitely read a fictionalized serial, since it would take us all on a rollicking ride through decades of libertariobjectivish fiends and also-rans and snakes and lambs and others. Meaty, decadent, wonderful folks . . .

George, could you squeeze some fiction out of this? I am sure it would sing. You are perhaps uniquely qualified to pen a 'must-read' romance/roman a clef. It would be a secreted treat for potentates and passersby of the last thirty-odd years.

It just makes me think of those tested airport bookrack marketing blurbs: "A lusty, brawling saga of a lusty brawling family."

The characters you know! Neil Schulman alone in a Bizarro Objectiville George H Smith Tell-All . . . other philosophically-damaged folk each a savoury chapter in itself.

Well, he hasn't said anything...you know what that means. We can steal his material and write the book ourselves! Whooee! This could be our big break. Meet you at the Productivity Lodge right after the Brotherhood Bison 'n'Bustard Breakfast.