Lurch: Rock Star

Rich Engle

"Puttin' on the Ritz!"

That was funny and reminded me of Peter Boyle in that Mel Brook's movie, "Young Frankenstein," which came later.

It would have been funnier if Lurch had improved thruought the show, so at the end he would seem as good (or bad) as a real rock star of that era (or would that be error?)

Ah, this is a great idea for Glee!

Peter Taylor

Wonderful.

I had a Lurch piggy bank when I was 7 or 8, it was a black box with a green hand that jumped out and grabbed the coins and stowed them. I wish like anything now that I could have saved it for my grandson, but there was no way to get the money out without breaking it.

Wonderful.

I had a Lurch piggy bank when I was 7 or 8, it was a black box with a green hand that jumped out and grabbed the coins and stowed them. I wish like anything now that I could have saved it for my grandson, but there was no way to get the money out without breaking it.

Carol:

I think you mean "Thing"...see video below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGFpGXtCzHU

Wonderful.

Carol:

I think you mean "Thing"...see video below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGFpGXtCzHU

Yes, you're right!. I loved that Thing and remember Dad laughing along with me as it grabbed the pennies. Do you think there might be any still extant? I'd pay many shiny larval Atlas points to get hold of one.

well, except this time. double post. But while I'm here, a classmate named Ross who was once misread by a new teacher on a class register is still known to us all as "Rose McLeod" in his burly grandfatherhood.

Edited by daunce lynam

The real Thing (heh) to get was the Uncle Fester light bulb. You had to put a piece of foil in your mouth to complete the circuit (low voltage, glow in the dark). I liked having that one a lot, but it got passed around and who knows what happened.

I was very ~excited~<tm> and ready to purchase a Thing Hand, but was underwhelmed when I saw one (like at Spencer's, or somewhere). The reason was that it was too small. You watched that show, you wanted something of substance; a nice beefy coffin-like box with a real big hand in it.

And they charged a lot for it, on top. It was kewl, but not that kewl.

On the other Hand <---*blatant joke* I did enjoy the technical upgrade to Thing that was done on the first Addams Family Movie. It is here on the trailer, starting at around 0:50. In a lot of ways, Thing stole that show. Actually, not to spoil if you never saw it, Thing SAVED the show . . .

As to the destiny of Lurch's career, just You Tube it, there are 3, at least.

Then also the cameo on the Batman TV series (all kinds of people poke out of the windows during Bat Climbs<tm>); it was an ingenious attempt at cross-marketing that never really panned out all the way (at least vis-a-vis The Green Hornet and Batman TV shows). Anyway:

Through all the camp, there remains a smoking hot sexiness between Gomez and Morticia. I understand why people get jealous of true power couples, at least in that sense I do: they wonder about the metaphysics, the energy, how do they DO it?

But all this is so shallow in the face of our bad behaviours, and bigger issues, and, an, an . . .

fester5.gif

But, more interesting to me is the sequences in the original show where Thing is conducting Lurch. This is pure genius, and if I went off on a tear, I would end up with Perigo jokes and that would just ruin my piece, Gentle Readers and "B" Movie enthusiasts. You never exit too late, nor too early (excluding getting the Hook).

rde

They're creepy, and they're kooky, mysterious and spooky . . .

Edited by Rich Engle