This picture needs a caption contest

Selene

Elixir?

There is a moment -- one few people will ever experience -- that has long fascinated me. It is the moment when a newly elected president is alone in the Oval Office for the first time, and all that has happened hits him. I am thinking not of the power but of the history of the presidency. The effect on a new president with a sense of history must be incredible. (Of course, this rules out some recent presidents, at the very least. I think Reagan had a sense of the historical gravity of the office, as illustrated by the fact that he would never remove his jacket or tie while in the Oval Office, even when alone.)

Ghs

It is fascinating, because no other newly-elected leader anywhere has the challenge and burden of such a unique history. It is not just the legacy of leaders good and bad, small and great, taking up the problems of government and discharging them to the best of their abilities; it is the demand to leaders that they relight the lamp of liberty with new fuel, and stamp four years of events with a name which will forever be recorded along with the names of Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Johnson.

And they're on the clock. They need their first 100 days, their first year, four endless short years to make their mark. If they enter office with little sense of history, they must leave it with a greater one. Ghosts surely walk in the White House, redecorate it how they will.

Andrew Johnson? Interesting choice.

Let us not forget my favorite president, William Henry Harrison. Anyone who dies after only 31 days in office is, by definition, my favorite president. :lol:

Ghs

I was trying to think of somebody less respected than Johnson, but you have so damn many presidents. Our national leaders here are usually greeted with shrugs of familiarity, since they can stay around forever if the economy is going good, or be booted out after a couple of months, and things just seem to chug along as usual.

They weren't all boring though. Do you know the story about the Father of Confederation (one of them) our first PM John A. Macdonald? He we a notorious boozer whose great enemy was the Liberal George Brown. One parliamentary session Brown gave an especially vicious tirade against Macdonald's government and all its works. John A., looking greenish, stood to respond and threw up all over his Orders-in -Council. After the pages had mopped him up, he commenced calmly, "As you know, Brown's speeches always make me sick, but on this particular occasion..."

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a moment -- one few people will ever experience -- that has long fascinated me. It is the moment when a newly elected president is alone in the Oval Office for the first time, and all that has happened hits him. I am thinking not of the power but of the history of the presidency. The effect on a new president with a sense of history

Ghs

I understand your point but the reverence of the moment is WAY over, and I doubt he has ANY sense of history or sentiment toward the USA.

I don't think it applies at that moment. He has no history--yet--not as President. So why would he think of it then?

--Brant

Do you know the story about the Father of Confederation (one of them) our first PM John A. Macdonald? He we a notorious boozer whose great enemy was the Liberal George Brown. One parliamentary session Brown gave an especially vicious tirade against Macdonald's government and all its works. John A., looking greenish, stood to respond and threw up all over his Orders-in -Council. After the pages had mopped him up, he commenced calmly, "As you know, Brown's speeches always make me sick, but on this particular occasion..."

I wasn't familiar with this story, but I am not impressed. When an American President, George H.W. Bush, threw up on someone, it was the Prime Minister of Japan. We Americans think big; this is part of what it means to be an American.

I will concede, however, that George H. W. Bush could not say anything clever without it being written down in advance. This is also part of what it means to be an American.

Ghs

I was trying to think of somebody less respected than Johnson, but you have so damn many presidents.

Yeah, it's a pain. But we got disillusioned with the I-will-be-king-for-life-and-then-give-the-job-to-my-son-or-to-my-daughter-if-I-don't-have-a-son approach to governance a long time ago. The inbreeding was producing too many dimwits. Now we only let the dimwits vote -- unless they are from a state with a lot of cattle, in which case we might let them be king for a few years. :rolleyes:

Ghs

Malia is the Hawaiian form of Mary - was that the name of Mama Obama?

Sasha (I KNOW, Adam... choosing that name announced the family Sovietism for all the world to see, you tried to warn everybody...)

These girls have already displaced Margaret Truman and Amy Carter as my Favourite Presidential Daughters. Margaret's DC mysteries are downright boring, she should have stuck to the piano.

Alice Roosevelt Longworth was in a class of her own though.

Edited by daunce lynam

Sasha (I KNOW, Adam... choosing that name announced the family Sovietism for all the world to see, you tried to warn everybody...)

These girls have already displaced Margaret Truman and Amy Carter as my Favourite Presidential Daughters. Margaret's DC mysteries are downright boring, she should have stuck to the piano.

Carol:

Nice try, but very weak, I did not even have to duck on that one.

Three tries for a quarter.

Adam

Carol:

Adam

Would that quarter be in real money or American - er-currency?

Carol:

Adam

0 for two ...

One left, make it count lady!

Carol:

Adam

0 for two ...

One left, make it count lady!

Called out by Umpire "Subjective Sal" Selene, I now slink back to the bench.

OK, double or nothing. A popular novel was written about the daughter of an important Revolutionary-era politician and her relationship with her father. He was not an early president but could have been.

Who was he and what was the book?

• 1 month later...

"Tackle them! The little one just lifted my wallet."

I think you've won the contest.

The Awards committee will have a tough time next week.

See my post #3. If I don't win bad things'll happen to the committee.

--Brant

wait a minute: what committee?--can I have a list of names?

OK, double or nothing. A popular novel was written about the daughter of an important Revolutionary-era politician and her relationship with her father. He was not an early president but could have been.

Carol:

Ok lady...you never answered this question that you posed!

This is a pretty interesting thread.

I won't mention who did not make an appearance.

Adam

Brant made me do it by going back to his #3

Carol:

Ok lady...you never answered this question that you posed!

This is a pretty interesting thread.

I won't mention who did not make an appearance.

Adam

Brant made me do it by going back to his #3

Sorry Adam, it was My Theodosia about Aaron Burr's daughter, by Anya Seton.

I am scared of Brant too and trying to keep out of his way till next weeks awards, the bribe subcommittee are on my back day and night.

capt.eabb491db253487fbc51e50e6aefd5d8-eabb491db253487fbc51e50e6aefd5d8-0.jpg?x=390&y=345&q=85&sig=sRxgKmtPnXEzACHB.glhQQ--

"They said what, Peter? Well that's too f***ing bad. They barge in uninvited for Easter dinner like that . . . Yes, I did make them eat in the kitchen with the rest of the . .. so f***ing what? Now go count the silverware--you heard me."

capt.eabb491db253487fbc51e50e6aefd5d8-eabb491db253487fbc51e50e6aefd5d8-0.jpg?x=390&y=345&q=85&sig=sRxgKmtPnXEzACHB.glhQQ--

"I don't know which one of them it was, but whatever they ate . . .this damn fart smell hasn't backed down an inch."

rde

Temporarily overcome with Asperger's Syndrome. How many times can we enter?

timestamp='1303789902' post='134071']

http://d.yimg.com/a/...PnXEzACHB.glhQQ

"Wait up, son! I got something to give you...it's a long form...."

Not bad. Not bad at all.

"He gave me a bunch of rhythm when I suggested using the Shroud of Lassie<tm> tablecloth for State Dinners. But I can tell you one thing--that boy can really tapdance! It must be that extra bone they have in one of their feet."

rde

No end to it.