Production/Creation

basimpson22

I believe the ability to create is a quality that should be highly regarded and sought after by the objectivist. In this ever-advancing age of technology what are some tools an individual might need to create something useful or desirable?

> tools an individual might need to create something useful or desirable?

Too broad a question. You'd have to narrow the 'something' down. Whether you are creating a sculpture, a soundtrack, a skyscraper, or a suit of clothes, the tools vary.

I believe the ability to create is a quality that should be highly regarded and sought after by the objectivist. In this ever-advancing age of technology what are some tools an individual might need to create something useful or desirable?

Classical music, concentration on a subject, relaxation, time and place.

--Brant

"... what are some tools an individual might need to create something useful or desirable?

Young man, you will go far here! In fact, you have a future as a Leading Objectivist. Let me tell you why: You want a predictable world. Known inputs result in known outputs. You want "creativity"? Well, hell's bells man, just add a dash of PHYSICS and a dollup of PHILOSOPHY with a pinch of FREE MARKET and there you have it: The Radio! ... Oh, that's been done. I mean (ahem): There you have it: the Internet! Ooops, well... no matter: I declare "OPEN HEART SURGERY!" ummm... Post-It Notes... Glue Sticks... solid rocket boosters... Phil Zimmerman's PGP Cryptosystems <- RSA Cryptosystems ... Crazy Glue! No, wait! Crazy Glue as a surgical procedure... no! no! I got it, I got it: kidney dialysis! Aw shucks, no one could have seen that. OK okay ok I got it: The USB Port.

What I mean to say -- and I must explain what I mean to say -- is that innovation cannot be predicted. Creative people pay for seminars in creativity, but uncreative people seem not to. I look to Hayek's concepts leading to and from spontaneity. You can give people the freedom to create, but not much more. Given that freedom the results are unpredictable.

If you have a desire to bring about the new, then whatever tools you choose are the ones you need. No one can tell you how to be creative.

Yes, yes, I know: I have "De Bono", too. But I see myself as a creative person, so I am only adding factors to process that exists. Absent the process, no inputs will ever work. If you are creative, then do your thing, man.

Edited by Michael E. Marotta

This reads like a high school essay topic for English class. Just take out "objectivist" and substitute "American" or something. If I could choose the word to substitute, it would be "mammal" so I could make the groundbreaking case for opposable thumbs. :rolleyes:

Man Philip! I failed to nip this one in the bud. I'll remember to refrain from posting on OL with no sleep and a slight buzz. I'm not desperate to be creative. I suppose what I was looking for were examples of things like applied mathematics, numerical analysis, and computer programming being used in a creative capacity.

Edited by Aristocrates

Man Philip! I failed to nip this one in the bud. I'll remember to refrain from posting on OL with no sleep and a slight buzz. I'm not desperate to be creative. I suppose what I was looking for were examples of things like applied mathematics, numerical analysis, and computer programming being used in a creative capacity.

First off, what does it mean to create something?

Also: applied mathematics, numerical analysis, and computer programming are three awesome tools for any creative endeavor.

Mike

To create is to rearrange usefully.

Right on, Ted.

So, if we're going to create something, we need to know three things: (1) the elements we are rearranging, (2) the method of rearrangement, and (3) the criteria of usefulness (the purpose and value of the creation). These are all contextual.

In the context of creating a new technology (what I think the original post was getting at), the three pieces of necessary knowledge above require applied math, physical science, and computers (the necessary tools).

That would certainly be a neat thread. Something like "What were the greatest inventors thinking?" (also a matter of who the "greatest inventors" were... oh boy)

Mike

To create is to rearrange usefully.

The usefulness might become apparent only after the act of creation. Sometimes creation is the result of an impulse. Then again creation is sometimes the result of a string of thoughts that start out I want to do A, but to do A I need to do B, but to do B I need to do C etc. This reach a point where the means is not a hand to an end so it must be invented.

Einstein claimed he got the equivalence principle and the notion that gravitation is NOT a force by talking to a man who had fallen. Einstein ask him if he felt a force as he fell. The man said no. There rest followed. Why did Einstein ask such a "silly" question. That was an impulse. P.S. this story may be apocryphal but it was an impulse on Einstein's part to imagine one could fall without a force being exerted. From this insight Einstein got the Equivalence Principle (i.e. the "force" of gravity is equivalent to the acceleration of a frame of reference) and from there flow his General Theory of Relativity.

Similarly we could ask whether Munsch got the inspiration for -The Scream- as a stroke from the Muse or did he work it out detail by detail.

Ba'al Chatzaf