March Madness

Any other March Madness fanatics here on OL?

If so, let's hear your current idea (I've had about ten already) for the final four. Right now I'm going with Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, and Old Dominion (you heard me!).

This year's bracket seems particularly difficult to fill out.

Mike

Mike:

I will of course have to put St, John's and LIU in my final four, but I will have my real final four selections.

Have to take a real look at the field tomorrow, I will make my picks by tomorrow night.

Adam

Mike:

I will of course have to put St, John's and LIU in my final four, but I will have my real final four selections.

Have to take a real look at the field tomorrow, I will make my picks by tomorrow night.

Adam

My team, Arizona, gave away it's game last night against the Washington Huskies, after leading by four points with 26 seconds to go. This will drop it from a likely #4 seed to a 6 or 7. I know the father-in-law of the Memphis coach, Josh Pastner, and he thinks Memphis will get a 10 seed. Because of Arizona getting bitch-slapped combined with its inexperience--one senior starter--and pretty good talent, it may turn out to be the team you'd rather not play. In 1997, when Arizona won it all, it plowed through three number-one teams to get there. Only time that's happened. It won't happen this time because of some weakness at the guard positions.

--Brant

Duke?

I have officially turned in my bracket for several pools.

My final final four consists of Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, and Butler (changed from Old Dominion).

I've never picked an 8 seed to be in the final four before, but who else in the southeast bracket is final-four-worthy?

As much as it kills me, I have picked Duke to win everything, with Kansas as the runner-up.

Mike

Mike:

Adam

St. John's could very well be there! I have the Red Storm in my elite eight. If not for a key injury, I probably would have had them in the championship game.

Long Island, however...

Mike:

Adam

My team, Arizona, gave away it's game last night against the Washington Huskies, after leading by four points with 26 seconds to go. This will drop it from a likely #4 seed to a 6 or 7. I know the father-in-law of the Memphis coach, Josh Pastner, and he thinks Memphis will get a 10 seed. Because of Arizona getting bitch-slapped combined with its inexperience--one senior starter--and pretty good talent, it may turn out to be the team you'd rather not play. In 1997, when Arizona won it all, it plowed through three number-one teams to get there. Only time that's happened. It won't happen this time because of some weakness at the guard positions.

--Brant

Duke?

I watched the Arizona-Washington game. Amazing shooting at the end. Washington is a dangerous team. So is Arizona. Both of them could certainly pull off a second round upset (over UNC and Duke, respectively).

Mike, Brant et al:

My final five (5) because I have to root for St. John's are:

Duke

Syracuse

St, Johns/Florida

Kansas

I do not follow college basketball during the year, but I love the NCAA tournament so a lot of my picks are uneducated guesses.

Adam

sorry to be late, but it has been a busy week in Philadelphia

Well that was a bummer. BYU wins and then St. John's gets crushed.

Before I went 0 for 4 on the last games I was doing pretty well, picking 10 of 12. I'm in 5-millionth place on ESPN.com :lol: .

This is a fun tournament so far. Three of the first four games were won on buzzer-beaters, and there's a 12-13 second-round game!

Let's just hope that BYU gets blown out in the next round. My happiness and success in my family's bracket pool depend upon it.

Mike

Congrats Brant...Arizona looks pretty tough.

Wow. Crazy weekend. I'm still smiling about the fact that I picked Butler over Pittsburgh.

And how did a 10, 11, and 12 seed in the same region all get to the sweet sixteen?!

Arizona looked inconsistent against Texas. Dominated the first half and nearly blew it in the second. I'm confident Duke will beat them, but then again, Duke nearly lost to Michigan today...

My bracket isn't busted quite yet.

Mike

Someone pull Brant down off the ceiling!

Arizona manhandles number one Duke and eliminates the number one seed to get to the final eight (8) with one step from the final four (4)!!!!

Congratulations Brant!!!!

Arizona 93

Duke 77

Not even close!

Hah! "manhandles" is correct.

Good for Brant.

My national chump is gone... but now we get to see Arizona vs. Connecticut. Clearly the two hottest teams right now.

And I picked Butler right again!

This has been a wild tournament.

Mike

O'biwan's final four picks were all number one (1) seeds, or the favorrites:

Ohio State, Duke, Kansas and Pittsburgh

The incredible shrinking boy president emperor's competency at even basketball, which he claims to know, is at best 50 50.

The incredible shrinking boy president emperor's competency at even basketball, which he claims to know, is at best 50 50.

Was there ever a Final Four with four #1 seeds? Or Elite Eight? Arizona burned through three of them in 1997 to win it all. Nobody had done that before or since. Ironically, AZ almost lost its first game against an almost nobody and hadn't done all that well in the regular season, but boy, did that team start clicking with three A-1 guards, Bibby, Simon and Terry.

--Brant

Edited by Brant Gaede

He picked like a total wimp.

Only a wimp (and idiot) would pick all of the No. 1 seeds. Especially this year.

And only a total dick would waste a whole day making a video with ESPN the way he did.

This Ohio State-Kentucky game is great so far!!

Was there ever a final four with four #1 seeds? Or elite eight? Arizona burned through three of them in 1997 to win it all. Ironically, AZ almost lost its first game against an almost nobody and hadn't done all that well in the regular season, but boy, did that team start clicking with three A-1 guards, Bibby, Simon and Terry.

--Brant

It (final four of #1 seeds) happened a few years ago, and a long time before that. But I'm pretty sure it's only happened twice.

Damn!

Great game with Ohio State losing.

So, the incredible shrinking and incompetent boy emperor president is 75% wrong on something he supposedly knows about!

What an incompetent.

I really would love to see his grades from college and law school.

Adam

Thanks for the link Merlin.

I only saw the first half of Ohio State-Kentucky, and what a half! Teams like Wisconsin are pure discipline. Teams like Butler are pure hard work. Ohio State and Kentucky have some discipline and they do work hard, but that game was absolutely loaded with talent. Both teams had pretty equal outside shooters and post players. Fantastic basketball.

But I really think this should have been Ohio State against Florida. Why Florida got a two seed and Kentucky got a four I'll never know...

I bet Obama's grades were worse than Al Gore and Jon Kerry's. Well, maybe not. Hehe that's a pretty big bet.

As long as I'm making bets... I'll put my money on Kansas to win everything. And for Butler to beat Florida and give Kansas a run for its money. I'll put Kentucky or Arizona in the final with KU.

Mike

Damn Mike...great pick in Butler!

Brant, nice run, but those last two three point shots made no sense to me.

They were only down by two and their inside game is excellent.

The key to the AZ-CN game was Williams getting his second foul and sitting out the rest of the first half--seven minutes. AZ still could have won, but they gave up too much. If Williams goes to the NBA, we're really going to find out how good a coach Sean Miller is. We already know he's one of the best, but this team without Williams needs more than it has left over, for sure. Williams is the fourth or fifth best player ever on an AZ roster. I doubt the fifth.

--Brant