Oil is to Water as Metaphysics is to Objectivism?

basimpson22

How much time did the likes of a Henry Rearden or Dagny Taggart spend thinking on the metaphysical? I believe they were written as people who experienced life rather people who spent the majority of their time observing it. These two were constantly working and working toward a goal, whether it was to perfect a superior formula of steel, save Taggart Railroad, complete the John Galt Line. They were always working on something. Should the real-life objectivist be more like Dagny and Henry, always working, always acting instead of spending hours each day reflecting and contemplating. Shouldn't the objectivist see this as idle behavior and shouldn't the objectivist strive to do what is productive. And if this were true shouldn't this forum be abolished, lol

Edited by Aristocrates

> Should the real-life objectivist be more like Dagny and Henry, always working, always acting instead of spending hours each day reflecting and contemplating.

It's optional. Do what you enjoy (as long as you can make a living).

> Shouldn't the objectivist see this as idle behavior and shouldn't the objectivist strive to do what is productive.

Ari, it's just as productive to improve your mind and your thinking and knowledge as it is to do your day job. It's like saying its productive to polish and improve your tools just as it is to use the tool to hunt or carve or build or create something specific.

Edited by Philip Coates

Also, where did you get the idea that Objectivism frowns on idle behavior?

Have fun, lie on the beach, listen to music, daydream. Have one drink or three too many.

Edited by Philip Coates

Too much of being "productive" can ruin creativity. A great aid to being creative is listening to classical music, for instance. A walk in the woods and you might suddenly start getting a lot of ideas. Relaxing on vacation and letting go off all that "productive" stuff suffusing your brain and you'll free up your neurons for other tasks. Then, there's always the making of babies instead of money--or simply pleasure for the sake of pleasure.

--Brant

The proper use of words is important to Objectivists. Metaphysics is quite an important subject, and it is errors in metaphysics which lead to such things as determinism, behaviorism, collectivism, belief in God and the war on drugs, to name just a few.

If you are asking if philosophizing is a waste of time, is a question it is a waste of time to ask.

Edited by Ted Keer

> I'm really loving these responses. Thanks everyone

Cool. (That's a good way to take things.)

> I'm really loving these responses. Thanks everyone

Cool. (That's a good way to take things.)

Thanks. I just loved to see that you guys had a uniformity in your responses. You took care of the question real fast. Yeah, objectivists can have their leisure just like anyone else. And as you said, the mind is a very important thing to exercise. I just love that you guys didn't have anything confusing to say. It was direct and also relieving. Objectively, most people aren't going to be as productive as Dagny or Henry. These are fictional heroines and their abilities are a tad bit exaggerated. Its just not logical to hold oneself to that standard. Anyways, thanks again.

Should the real-life objectivist be more like Dagny and Henry, always working, always acting instead of spending hours each day reflecting and contemplating.

Off the top of my head.

Dagny loved listening to Halley's music. They both took a car trip together, more to relax than anything.

I seem to remember them bonking and giving speeches to each other about it...

:)

I know there's a lot more if I look.

Michael