Hockey Playoffs Approach

caroljane

Go Flyers...

my lady is from Philly...

That's you and Marc for Philly, PDS for Detroit, and me for the entire country of Canada.

Our national anthem singers are classier!

And neither are as good as the French and I hate the French, but they have the best anthem...

Still on of the best scenes in movie history with one of the top four most beautiful women in the world.

My dad is from Paris and my whole life I heard that exact mantra about his anthem hahhahhahhahhah !!!!!

Hahahahhaa, my dad is from France and my whole childhood I heard about how great that anthem was !!!!

Never fails to bring tears to my eyes.

hahahhahhha , my dad is from Paris and I heard that mantra my entire childhood about that anthem !

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marc, Montreal surprises you? "Da Liddle Guy' surprised a lot of people in politics, and Maurice Richard was no giant. The small but mighty forwards plus the great ancestral ankles on which they skate will lead them to victory. Sort of like Theseus's ghost leading the Athenian army. Plus you gotta love P.K. Subban.

Good job Nashville. I see ole Nameless is earning his keep.

Sorry for my very late response but yes , they really do surprise me. Even tonight down 2 zip fast and now its all tied ....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

My hatred for Les Canadiens started way back in 79 after Philly won 2 cups back to back and then Montreal ruined the threepeat by sweeping them !!!!

My son hates Montreal too, plus his ex-longterm girlfriend was a Montrealer - I don't think it was a big factor in their breakup but it sure didn't help any.

Phillies are through - be benevolent!

Marc, Montreal surprises you? "Da Liddle Guy' surprised a lot of people in politics, and Maurice Richard was no giant. The small but mighty forwards plus the great ancestral ankles on which they skate will lead them to victory. Sort of like Theseus's ghost leading the Athenian army. Plus you gotta love P.K. Subban.

Good job Nashville. I see ole Nameless is earning his keep.

Sorry for my very late response but yes , they really do surprise me. Even tonight down 2 zip fast and now its all tied ....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

My hatred for Les Canadiens started way back in 79 after Philly won 2 cups back to back and then Montreal ruined the threepeat by sweeping them !!!!

My son hates Montreal too, plus his ex-longterm girlfriend was a Montrealer - I don't think it was a big factor in their breakup but it sure didn't help any.

Phillies are through - be benevolent!

hhahhahahhhahahhah !!!!

Maybe this is why we have good international academic ratings. Even Canadians with ADHD can concentrate for 20 minutes at a time.

And they seem like 20 hours.

Edited by daunce lynam

With Boston just eliminating Montreal...does that leave just one Canadian team in the hunt for Lord Stanley's Cup?

Hockey Challenged American

With Boston just eliminating Montreal...does that leave just one Canadian team in the hunt for Lord Stanley's Cup?

Hockey Challenged American

Yes indeed .

And methinks that they won't win either.

My dad is from Paris and my whole life I heard that exact mantra about his anthem hahhahhahhahhah !!!!!

Marc, is your dad by chance a philosophy professor who is also a big soccer fan?

Sorry but no

Go next time Philly. Beat brutish Boston, especially Licic, you cynical thug. We won't forget what you did. Stay out of Canada if you know what's good for you,

Come on , we already agreed that the Attorney General should stay out of hockey n'est pas ?

Wash down 3 zip to a team that has a 41 year old goalie ???????

Phily down 2 zip going to Boston for 2 games now ?

Nash up 1 zip tonight in the first in danger of going up 2-1 in the series ?

San Jose - Boston for the finals ??????????

Insane

• 2 weeks later...

Game 3.

And oh yes - it must be yes! Next year in Winnipeg, O Lord.

"Home they'll play where they long to be

Home, Manitoba, Quebec or BC,

And the Molsons in wait on the chill."

-Lord S, apologies to RL Stevenson

And game 4. Softly, softly catchee beastie.

So a word on national anthems. Singing them in Tony Bennett style is interesting but as we have seen today, not too good at rousing the blood and baring the teeth, and singing flat, even on purpose, is not a good idea at the start of a hockey game.

O Canada is a very boring song, I am the first to admit, but I am fond of it as it is the only song I am allowed to sing in public. I too have tried out variations on the finale in the privacy of my home. It was a little startling to hear that a real singer's variations were worse than mine.

My secret dream is to attend the karaoke and knock them dead with my renditions of the Hank Snow classics "I'm Movin On" and "I Don't Hurt Anymore", but meanwhile I appreciate my luck that my students enjoy singing O Canada at the end of every class, almost as much as I do.

Carol:

Damn Vancouver looks strong - 3-1 and leading 1-0 at the ....oops Sharks just tied it with 2 sec left on the power play at 10:03 of the second.

But Vancouver looks unbeatable.

Adam

Carol:

Damn Vancouver looks strong - 3-1 and leading 1-0 at the ....oops Sharks just tied it with 2 sec left on the power play at 10:03 of the second.

Adam

O dear lord - they are all too beatable - I am scared to jinx them. I deliberately missed the national anthems, just in case, though that is my favourite part.

Tremulously,

Carol

Carol:

Adam

O dear lord - they are all too beatable - I am scared to jinx them. I deliberately missed the national anthems, just in case, though that is my favourite part.

Tremulously,

Carol

Ouch looks like you may have jinxed them - open net goal for Sharks in first minute of the 3rd period!

Edited by Selene

How I hate to agree with national inescapable blowhard Don Cherry but sometimes he is right. Defence do you think you are all goalies ? Your job is just to get from position to position by inclining your great stupid bodies? Skate, for chrissakes.

How I hate to agree with national inescapable blowhard Don Cherry but sometimes he is right. Defence do you think you are all goalies ? Your job is just to get from position to position by inclining your great stupid bodies? Skate, for chrissakes.

Excellent game Carol...

double overtime - I have rarely seen so many lost or dropped sticks as in these two (2) overtimes.

Adam

Congratulations Carol!!!!

e14692.gificon_cheers.gif

Edited by Selene

Congratulations Carol!!!!

e14692.gificon_cheers.gif

Oh, oh, oh. Just revelling in the banal, witless, robotic statements of the victors and commentators. Loving every meaningless remark. What is there to say? "I've fallen off my chair, Brian".

I've fallen, and I don't want to get up.

How dare you put down the exquisitely-named Don Cherry?

Edited by PDS

How dare you put down the exquisitely-named Don Cherry?

If I but could. The man is impossible to put down. The whole country has been trying for years.

One of the best Tylenol commercials we ever had here featured his lovely late wife, Rose. Her lines began, "When someone's been shouting in your ear, for forty years...."

Grapes's co-anchor and straight man, Ron Maclean, is really good, Together they're the most popular

Canadian duo since Wayne & Shuster in the Ed Sullivan era.

Edited by daunce lynam

Oh, what to do now. How can I hope for Boston or Tampa either one? I hate Boston for their dirty play that cost Montreal their game. I like the Bolts because of Lecavalier, and don't want them to lose to wretched Boston.

Vancouver must beat either one of them, of course. Vancouver beating Boston, pounding, thumping, triumphing utterly, just must be. But that means Boston will have beaten Tampa, who are the better team in every way that matters, and ought not to lose. Hockey should not be played down there in the swamps of course, but Vincent and his colleagues have made such a gallant thing of it.

It's so vexing! I wish I could be like my father, he was the only man in town (or in all Canada for all I know) who obsessively watched HNIC, but claimed he did not have a favourite team. He said, he just enjoyed watching a good game.

I got to enjoy that with him; Original Six games were good by definition. he was so knowledgeable and witty a commentator. He never played himself, but he mentioned listening to games on radio during the war when he was overseas. What it meant to him following Rocket Richard on play-by=play, with his buddies in North Africa and Italy,age 17 to 23, having it be a constant when they could get the radio through.

When his father died in 1943, he and his brother could of course not get home for the funeral.They couldn't always get their mail from home, but it mostly came through. They always got the hockey games though, unless they were in battle. Something to enjoy, and to be able to keep enjoying, when the war was over.

GO BOSTON!

180px-Bobby_Orr.jpg

The Ghost of Orr will see us through!