Help with Finding Software or Gadgets

Phil, I haven't used Google Desktop in a long time so I can't give you specific advice, but if it's like normal Google search then you can do an advanced search and specify how many results per page.

Shayne

Edited by sjw

[O]ver time OL has become more and more a home for people who are not Objectivists and they have tended to crowd out the fully convinced Objectivists. So it's become more of a board where you will see threads with titles like 'reconsidering' or 'a flaw' in Oism. While these questions are usually quite silly or uninformed, nonetheless there is nothing wrong with a site whose purpose is/or which tends to draw those whose purpose is to debate and discuss Objectivism.

Like here: among Oists, quasi-Oists, crypto-Oists, not yet-Oists, disillusioned drunken-Oists, what the hell is Oism-ists, etc.

And also there are bright people here who don't happen to be Oists and have interesting things to say. I learned a lot from a thread on literature from well-read people, for example. People who were active there didn't have to support Objectivism or agree with it 100% like I do for them to have caused me to think about what they had to say. In general also, topics which have nothing to do with Oism can draw interesting insights.

All of the unmoderated sites tend to draw their share of self-indulgent 'barroom drunken screamers'. Each of these sites tends over time to become Frequent Crap Attractors (that's a technical term from Objectivist epistemology.) The more orthodox sites, for example, tend to draw their share of those who mindlessly repeat Oist bromides without having understood them.

Every once in a while, you just get so fed up that like GHS and myself you have to take a vacation.

<a name="NB">**</a> NB 6: let us look at the generalizations.

Over time OL has become more and more a home for people who are not Objectivists and they have tended to crowd out the fully convinced Objectivists.

May be true, but lacking names for 'people who are not Objectivists' and 'people who are fully convinced Objectivists' we are left with a dichotomy.

On the one side, 'people who are not Objectivists, and on the other, some departed fully convinced Objectivists.

How do we figure out the specifics of this claim? We need the names and examples where the 'people' have 'tended to crowd out' the 'fully convinced Objectivists.

Edited by william.scherk

1. ONE LINE: Condense each search result into one line showing filename, type, size, date.

2. SORT: Be able to 'sort' on each of those four columns and then redisplay the above results.

3. NOT HAVE TO PAGE ENDLESSLY: All the search results on one scrollable page.

I'll suspend my tiresome work on the 'greatest Phil takedown ever,' and become my sometime sunny, helpful self.

Phil, I use a free file search utility that offers:

<ol>

<li>- Perl compatible regular expressions that allow complex rule based searches.

<li>- Web style Boolean searches for ease of use.

<li>- Immediate contents results view.

<li>- Various wizards to walk the user through the searching process.

<li>- Searches within Word, text, html, PDF files

</ol>

It's a 3.9 MB download and installs in 30 seconds. It doesn't index your computer like Google Desktop.

I can enter something like "scherk crazypants NOT kookiepants AND fuck" and I get a two pane, scrollable result set (I can also use regular expressions, restrict to a subset of folders, specify a filename or filename fragment and restrict by date).

On the left pane are returned the file names, size, date and type. Clicking on the file name returns, in the right pane, the individual search terms highlighted within the surrounding text in the searched file for each appearance in the file, and the appearances also appear with the line-number of the file.

Good grief, Billy Sherk! Don't you know the crazypants go in the top left drawer and the kookiepants go in the top right and those other - activities - are for outside the house when you are grown up?

Wait'll your mother hears about this.

> Study a little...you gain nothing except a poor reputation.

Michael, all you have to do is simply admit you don't know how to do the three things I mentioned.

Or whether Google Desktop in fact can.

Edited by Philip Coates

1. oONE LINE: Condense each search result into one line showing filename, type, size, date.

2. SORT: Be able to 'sort' on each of those four columns and then redisplay the above results.

I'll suspend my tiresome work on the 'greatest Phil takedown ever,' and become my sometime sunny, helpful self.

- Perl compatible regular expressions that allow complex rule based searches.

- Web style Boolean searches for ease of use.

- Immediate contents results view.

- Various wizards to walk the user through the searching process.

- Searches within Word, text, html, PDF files

</ol>

I can enter something like "scherk crazypants NOT kookiepants AND fuck" and I get a two pane, scrollable result set (I can also use regular expressions, restrict to a subset of folders, specify a filename or filename fragment and restrict by date).

Good grief, Billy Sherk! Don't you know the crazypants go in the top left drawer and the kookiepants go in the top right and those other - activities - are for outside the house when you are grown up?

I have updated my entry and am now using "I can give you the link and call a truce Kimosabe"

Edited by william.scherk

1. oONE LINE: Condense each search result into one line showing filename, type, size, date.

- Various wizards to walk the user through the searching process.

</ol>

I have updated my entry and am now using "Phil AND them AND 'some folks' AND 'those people' AND 'page endlessly' NOT 'thank you' OR 'can you please give a link to the marvelous program, it is just what I am looking for?' NOT interested AND 'I am still mad at you' OR AND 'yes, it does sort' NOT 'thanks' OR 'I would like to know where to get it, please' AND 'I am NOT talking to you' OR 'la la la . . . fingers in my ears' AND NOT 'argh'"

He always gets like that when he can't find the right pants.

Phil,

Google doesn't display like Windows does. I mentioned that already.

But Google returns not only the information you said you need, it returns a ton more once you learn it.

Display-wise, if you require your information in 4 columns because where you use it is in a world that only accepts 4 column information, Google doesn't work like that, And I know of no place where information can only be used in 4 columns.

If you require information you can use to organize yourself, Google can do all you require and a whole lot more. It just takes a little study and getting used to the way it does it.

But if you insist on columns, there are many software programs out there that scrape Google data and do that. Hell, they can do as many columns as you need. Here is one in my area that uses Google data for keyword research--maybe the best tool on the market: Market Samurai. It gives you the information in all kinds of columns.

Shayne mentioned advanced search functions for scrolling results. Why not just open a normal Google Internet search page, click on "Advanced search" and read through the options? Open the drop downs where they are present and see what's there. Play with it a little. Learn by fiddling a bit. It won't kill you.

Then realize that Google desktop works just like that does.

Like I said, go study.

It's like you asked for $50 in cash, were given a check for $100,000 and you are complaining that you can't be bothered to cash it. What's more, you want to adopt some kind of superior attitude because you asked for cash and a check is not cash.

This doesn't make any sense to me.

If it were rocket science to learn search operators, that would be one thing. But the basic ones are so easy, kids 8 year old (and younger) use them to find their games and stuff.

Michael

I have updated my entry

Live updates here (until 6 pm today).

Garble.

Edited by william.scherk

1. ONE LINE: Condense each search result into one line showing filename, type, size, date.

- ONE PAGE RESULTS (no scrolling)

- Returns page/line numbers in results, with HIGHLIGHTED search terms in context for each result --

-- click to open found files

- Sorts on file size, name, location, type

As my previously garbled posts suggested, I will put up a screenshot.

Edited by william.scherk

Screenshot of my file search software.

agentransackscreenshot.jpg

William,

If you want to go ape with screenshots in the easiest manner I have found--and believe me I have tried a lot, including a registered copy of Snagit--and it's free (open source), try this: Greenshot.

You click the little icon on the right bottom of your screen, some lines pop up and you drag them to select the area you wish. Then the editor automatically pops up and you can put in arrows, circles, text, etc., Then save it.

This is by far the fastest one I have found for normal stuff.

Michael

Subject: PROBLEM SOLVED: Let Phil Do It :-) :rolleyes:

Since I wasn't getting anything that gave me the three things I wanted, I went and found a search package myself. Took me an hour searching and reading reviews, then downloading it and an hour testing it on a wide range of the searches I do.

It's flat out wonderful: free, as fast as lightning, no indexing, not a memory hog and even does more with none of the disadvantages.

Anyone else want to know what it is and see an explanation so they can use it for their own searches? [if you give a hostile or sarcastic answer...fuhgeddaboudit.]

Edited by Philip Coates

Anyone else want to know what it is and see an explanation so they can use it for their own searches?

Not me. I use Agent Ransack.

Edited by william.scherk

Anyone else want to know what it is and see an explanation so they can use it for their own searches?

Not me. I use Agent Ransack.

Ack, any reason you didn't tell Phil earlier in the thread?

Yeah. Two reasons: Phil was belligerent and sarcastic, and I was being naughty. I did give a description of what Agent Ransack could do upthread, and a screenshot of it in action.

Anyway, he now uses Agent Ransack too, so all is good.

• 2 weeks later...

>>>It's flat out wonderful: free, as fast as

>>>lightning, no indexing, not a memory hog

>>>and even does more with none of the

>>>disadvantages.

>>Anyway, he now uses Agent Ransack too, so all is good.

>I do?

You do.