Temple of the Human Spirit

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I must object to your description of Hong Kong as a "Mecca Of The Mind"

Hong Kong is actually an example of Corporatism rather than Free Markets. True, there is LEGAL laissez-faire in the international sectors of the economy, but the government in fact is tightly integrated with a series of large corporations each controlled by politically-priveliged businessmen. These large corporations usually have monopolies over several domestic industries; either directly legally granted or simply a product of government favoritism towards these large corporations.

As Rand observed, laissez-faire has cultural prerequisites. Hong Kong lacks these prerequisites and as such is a bastion of cronyism.

For more information, please see "Asian Godfathers" by Joe Studwell.

That said, HK does have fantastic architecture and food.

Subject: Negativity

SDK, You've just seen in this thread an attempt to post a link to a blog about positives, one with uplifting values. There is a lot of great photos and lovely poetry there.

And I personally am grateful for it being posted and shared with us.

Instead of commenting on -any- of the beautiful things there (or at least -starting- by saying something supportive like "thank you" or "attaboy" or "lot's of good stuff", you decided to look for a nit to pick. You chose to focus on something minor or a tangent to criticize (in this case a peripheral tangential allusion to Hong Kong). You were apparently upset that there was a speck of dust on the side of the 'temple to the human spirit', instead of appreciating or commenting on the idea of a temple to the human spirit itself.

Ted Keer keeps referring to "Objectionists" in the movement (and on this site). That's a very apt word and this is a good example of that. Things wrong with this:

i) No one likes it or benefits as much as they do from positive values. It alienates and makes people wonder if someone sees the world under a dark cloud and is blind to any beauty or nobility when it is presented: "Show me your achievements, my brothers."

ii) It turns people off on Objectivism. Makes people not want to listen further.

iii) If you or someone else does it characteristically, it will alienate you from the world. And it will alienate others from you.

AS YOU GO THROUGH LIFE, BROTHER,

WHATEVER BE YOUR GOAL,

KEEP YOUR EYE UPON THE DOUGHNUT

AND NOT UPON THE HOLE

(The Optimist's Creed)

PS, Another form of "Objectionism", would be to -argue with me- about this post. Rather than to accept it as a good tip.

Edited by Philip Coates

I wanted to share my blog with you. I've had it up for some time now, but i wanted to get quite a bit of content added before i started linking it :)

it is at http://templeofthehu....wordpress.com/

here is an example of the content

motivator9e1c9699f0e107c5fbe0e8ba102b955ac3bb15b4.jpg

Let me know what you think :)

That's a great image and sentiment.

The professional typesetter in my cannot help but suggest that you put a line break after the word savagery, starting the next line with "Reason lifts Man..." Also, try increasing the spacing above "TO THE GLORY OF MAN" so that the upper edge of the letters is the same distance from the image as is the lower edge of the letters from the line of smaller type below. It will look much more elegant and professional.

I wanted to share my blog with you. I've had it up for some time now, but i wanted to get quite a bit of content added before i started linking it :)

The use of a piece of shit vehicle like the STS (aka Space Shuttle) is hardly a tribute to the human spirit. That tiled abomination has killed two crews.

Ba'al Chatzaf

The use of a piece of shit vehicle like the STS (aka Space Shuttle) is hardly a tribute to the human spirit. That tiled abomination has killed two crews.

Ba'al Chatzaf

It wasn't the shuttles that failed those crews, it was NASA.

--Brant

It wasn't the shuttles that failed those crews, it was NASA.

--Brant

The entire design is an Abomination. The idea of putting the manned portion right next to the hot rockets boggles the mind. Remember what happened to Challenger? The entire vehicle is an accident waiting to happen.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Pay no attention to Ba'al. He hates everything, and when he doesn't have a reason to do so he makes one up.

Did I make up the two Disaster's? They really happened you know.

Ba'al Chatzaf

You want a Temple to the Human Spirit? Visit Craig Venter's factory.

His stuff works and it is unlocking the secrets of life. What has NASA done except kill two crews and waste billions of dollars?

See:

Or better still this:

http://www.ted.com/talks/craig_venter_is_on_the_verge_of_creating_synthetic_life.html

Now that is something to be proud of.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Edited by BaalChatzaf

Why don't you upload one of your hi-def color pics of a Saturn launch then, you cranky SOB?

I am a cranky SOB with higher standards than you. I will not glorify a bullshit outfit like NASA that lies regularly and kills crews.

I am waiting for the Craig Venter of space exploration to make his appearance. Maybe I will live to see it.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Why don't you upload one of your hi-def color pics of a Saturn launch then, you cranky SOB?

The Saturn vehicle had the crew portion above and away from the propulsion system. Compare that with STS.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Bob, can you make a helpful, constructive criticism? Do you think a picture of Venter's lab will provide a dramatic image? Or that the space shot, however crappy the shuttle program, isn't dramatic? Do you get such a high from bitching about things that you cannot understand the goal here and contribute towards it rather than kvetching? Or are you just an average, run of the mill Objectionist?

motivator2da29de0fad2a40c0b581c46ca8d7f2e2012ebe8.jpg

Changed it up a bit, thanks to Teds suggestions :)

I am not sure what program you are using, or how to tell you to do it, but you should try moving the tezt down a little from the bottom of the image. If necessary you might thry introducing a very small point line of blank text above "to the glory of man" but there should be some other way to do this.

motivator2da29de0fad2a40c0b581c46ca8d7f2e2012ebe8.jpg

Changed it up a bit, thanks to Teds suggestions :)

I am not sure what program you are using, or how to tell you to do it, but you should try moving the tezt down a little from the bottom of the image. If necessary you might thry introducing a very small point line of blank text above "to the glory of man" but there should be some other way to do this.

i use this site http://bighugelabs.com/motivator.php and it doesnt give a lot of options. :-/

Beautiful picture it exalts the human spirit of ingenuity and progress.

Unfortunately the US has abandoned the shuttle program and has bastardized NASA

The former head of NASA on Tuesday described as "deeply flawed" the idea that the space exploration agency's priority should be outreach to Muslim countries, after current Administrator Charles Bolden made that assertion in an interview last month.

"NASA ... represents the best of America. Its purpose is not to inspire Muslims or any other cultural entity," Michael Griffin, who served as NASA administrator during the latter half of the Bush administration, told FoxNews.com.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/07/06/nasa-official-walks-claim-muslim-outreach-foremost-mission/#ixzz1DoXrQ7xw

Subject: Negativity

SDK, You've just seen in this thread an attempt to post a link to a blog about positives, one with uplifting values. There is a lot of great photos and lovely poetry there.

And I personally am grateful for it being posted and shared with us.

Instead of commenting on -any- of the beautiful things there (or at least -starting- by saying something supportive like "thank you" or "attaboy" or "lot's of good stuff", you decided to look for a nit to pick. You chose to focus on something minor or a tangent to criticize (in this case a peripheral tangential allusion to Hong Kong). You were apparently upset that there was a speck of dust on the side of the 'temple to the human spirit', instead of appreciating or commenting on the idea of a temple to the human spirit itself.

Ted Keer keeps referring to "Objectionists" in the movement (and on this site). That's a very apt word and this is a good example of that. Things wrong with this:

i) No one likes it or benefits as much as they do from positive values. It alienates and makes people wonder if someone sees the world under a dark cloud and is blind to any beauty or nobility when it is presented: "Show me your achievements, my brothers."

ii) It turns people off on Objectivism. Makes people not want to listen further.

iii) If you or someone else does it characteristically, it will alienate you from the world. And it will alienate others from you.

Philip,

I'm not saying its bad for someone to want to create and share Objectivist motivational images. That's a good thing.

However, I am an economist by education and I frequently visit Hong Kong. From a symbolic/artistic perspective the skyline is truly beautiful if you treat it in the same way Ayn Rand treated the skyline of New York. However, in that specific blog post on the actual blog in question, Hong Kong was actually characterized as a genuinely laissez-faire economy. This is an error of fact that I am completely justified in correcting.

Additionally, using a city built on Corporatism as a symbol of laissez-faire Free Markets may confuse people about what Objectivism actually supports.

PS, Another form of "Objectionism", would be to -argue with me- about this post. Rather than to accept it as a good tip.

I'm aware that you are suggesting that perhaps a more 'optimistic' outlook on my part may make some of my arguments more easily digestible, and in that you have a point. However, to try and avoid arguing over your post seems, at the very least, a touch unfair. Accusing me of "Objectionism" and then saying it would be "Objectionism" for me to defend myself of this charge is akin to Freudians alleging anyone that disagrees with a Freudian diagnosis is simply manifesting another symptom of the diagnosed problem.

By "Objectionism" I think what you mean is that I'm confirming the stereotype of the "argumentative Objectivist that's negative about absolutely everything." I can see why you'd like to bust that stereotype, but I am hardly a stereotypical Objectivist.

All of that said, I am not against the goals of the blog under discussion. I simply believe in one specific instance, said blog may have accidentally produced a counter-productive piece.

Edited by studiodekadent

Bob, can you make a helpful, constructive criticism? Do you think a picture of Venter's lab will provide a dramatic image? Or that the space shot, however crappy the shuttle program, isn't dramatic? Do you get such a high from bitching about things that you cannot understand the goal here and contribute towards it rather than kvetching? Or are you just an average, run of the mill Objectionist?

Image. How about the reality? I do not object to first rate accomplishments at all. I do object to the cheap, the mendacious and the ill thought out and the ill done. I refuse to apologize for having standards. The disasters befalling the STS were rewrites of the R101 disaster. The British airship R101 designed by government fiat for the sake of glorifying the government is so like the Shuttle story. The R101 was a true camel. Do you know what a camel is? It is a horse designed by the government.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R101

Ba'al Chatzaf

Everybody's a critic :)

reminds me of a quote from Roosevelt "It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Everybody's a critic :)

reminds me of a quote from Roosevelt "It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

That would be a good description of Richard Feynman, the physicist. One of his last performances in the Arena (as you put it) was to point out the effect of cold on the rubber seals of the solid fuel boosters of the STS. It turned out the the management of NASA afraid to offend the Regan administration on the matter of putting a "teacher in space", o.k.ed the launch of Challenger under conditions that were in direct violation of safety standards set by NASA and against the best judgement of engineers of Morton-Thyokol who built the boosters. It seems kissing the asses of the politicians takes precedence over the safety of crews. It seems. So Feynman in the Arena made that plain. Now that was a worthy cause and was the triumph of a high achievement. To wit, to show that the management at NASA consists of mendacious, cowardly lying bastards. Feynman knew he was a dead man and he had nothing to fear so he put his impending doom into good public use. Now THAT is being in the Arena. Yes?

Ba'al Chatzaf