View the Atlas Shrugged Movie Trailer Today!

Ed Hudgins

Cats are no more selfish than other animals - they are just too stupid to be friendly.

They're not pack animals like dogs. I prefer dogs as pets, in a sense they're more "honest". When you come home from work, a dog is delighted, wants to be petted, it's the best part of the pooch's day. A cat will greet you too, deposit some hair on your trousers, then as you reach down to pet, it walks away in a huff.

I am sure you realize that the cat is not greeting you, it is scent marking its territory. Being a pack animal, like a human, takes a certain amount of intelligence. The smartest animals, monkeys, pigs, horses, elephants, parrots and dolphins, are all pack animals. A dog will die if you remove its cerebral cortex. A cat will do just fine. Dogs show a huge variation in behavior. Cats are extremely stereotypical in their behavior. No cat will ever learn 1,000 nouns.

Edited by Ted Keer

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My greatest concern about Atlas was that the dialogue would come across as stilted, as I believe it does in the movie The Fountainhead. And though it is impossible to judge an entire movie from a trailer, I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. I especially like the way Rearden says "My only goal is to make money," and smiles afterwards. This is so much better than the way Sgt. York played Howard Roark. <_<

If Hannity is promoting the movie, it is likely that Glenn Beck will as well. And if this happens, Atlas could enjoy the same commercial success as Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ.

I read some of the negative reviews and blog entries about this film. For the most part, these were written by people who would hate anything by Rand, even if the movie were a 200 million dollar production with state of the art computer graphics, famous actors, and a top director.

Ghs

My greatest concern about Atlas was that the dialogue would come across as stilted, as I believe it does in the movie The Fountainhead. And though it is impossible to judge an entire movie from a trailer, I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. I especially like the way Rearden says "My only goal is to make money," and smiles afterwards. This is so much better than the way Sgt. York played Howard Roark. <_<

If Hannity is promoting the movie, it is likely that Glenn Beck will as well. And if this happens, Atlas could enjoy the same commercial success as Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ.

I read some of the negative reviews and blog entries about this film. For the most part, these were written by people who would hate anything by Rand, even if the movie were a 200 million dollar production with state of the art computer graphics, famous actors, and a top director.

Ghs

George:

I have noticed the same handicap amongst the reviewers. The Rearden smile clicked with me also. Cooper admitted that he did not do a competent job with the dialogue in the Fountainhead. However, the sheer power of Ayn's story carried the day with that film.

Great comparison with the Passion.

One aspect of Ayn's ideas that no one will ever be able to smother is that they speak to the best within us and they validate the self pride that we all have despite elements in society that attempt to smack them down.

I think this will be a tremendous success because this culture is "drowning from an orgy of self sacrifice" and that runs counter to the essential elements that make us human.

I do not think the memes and themes of this movie can be stopped.

Adam

Will there be a prize for best prediction? My guess is that there won’t be a monolithic response. Harry Binswanger will be first at bat, denouncing it for some flavor of ideological corruption. That knucklehead (Cline) who denounced Amadeus might beat him to it, but is anyone sure they’re not the same person? Anyway, Peikoff will refuse to see it, and will come out with a real howler of an explanation why. Ultimately it’ll be because of something Yaron Brook tells him. The actual ARI reply will be silence if possible. If the movie’s a moderate success, or less, there’ll be no statement. If it’s a huge hit, they’ll spin it so they take credit, without ever mentioning who was behind the film, so watch for glaring lacunae. Among the buck privates, the Besty's, and the Comrade Sonia’s, the reaction be all over the place no matter what. Valliant will denounce TheBrandens, and Perigo will say something asinine, as the sun will rise in the east and set in the west. That’s about it, there's my prediction.

One point I didn’t think of earlier, in prognosticating the ARI response, is that Yaron Brook is quite the talking head nowadays, so he’s not going to be able to avoid commenting on the film. He’ll just avoid any mention of the TAS connection, and I doubt interviewers are going to chase him on the subject. "It was an independent production" will about cover it.

I seriously doubt it will be that big. No matter how good it is.

From The Range - The Tucson Weekly's Daily Dispatch

Apparently the "Atlas Shrugged" Movie is Actually Happening

Posted by Dan Gibson on Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 3:01 PM

A few fun facts about the film adaptation of Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand's very long 1957 novel.

1. The movie will be in three parts, although only the first volume currently has a scheduled release date.

2. At various times, famous people such as Angelina Jolie, Charlize Theron, Russell Crowe, and Brad Pitt have been linked to the film at various times. None of those people are in this version.

3. The trailer debuted at the Conservative Political Action Conference last week and will premiere on April 15th.

4. Director Paul Johansson is apparently best known for appearances on One Tree Hill, but for me, he'll always be Beverly Hills 90210's evil frat brother John Sears, who set Steve Sanders up for a crime he didn't commit.

Tucson Weekly

I don't think Peikoff will be saying much of anything about the movie. My understanding is that he was sued a few years ago for breach of contract concerning the rights and that one term of the settlement was that he couldn't badmouth the result.

I don't think Peikoff will be saying much of anything about the movie. My understanding is that he was sued a few years ago for breach of contract concerning the rights and that one term of the settlement was that he couldn't badmouth the result.

This, if true, could also gag the ARI, given its history of doing Peikoff's bidding on matters public.

Signed, The Pretentious Ignoramus...

Anything that keeps Peikoff's mouth shut is just fine with me. I find his voice, on his podcasts, quite annoying. I haven't listened in over a year. Now if we could just get Obama to shut up. But that's another story.

This, if true, could also gag the ARI, given its history of doing Peikoff's bidding on matters public.

Signed, The Pretentious Ignoramus...

Hadn’t heard that before. Good, the more marginalized he is, the better.

Signed, The Obnoxious Braggart…

Ayn had a cat, or cats.

Nathaniel Branden had a dog, actually dogs.

I'm pondering over the psycho-epistemological implications.... O.K., done.

I think these two topics are best discussed on sites that cater to a particular mindset. Such as Noodlefood or Solo-Passion (aka SLOP).

Edited by Jerry Biggers

Ayn had a cat, or cats.

Cats are like cactuses, they are pretty and require only occasional watering, an excellent choice for people who are not good with children.

Where did that information come from? Was the suit made public or noted/alluded to anywhere? It would be interesting to dig out some of the details, such as the year, who had the rights at the time, and so on.

Almost as boring as Canadian politics, but hey.

Ayn had a cat, or cats.

Cats are like cactuses, they are pretty and require only occasional watering, an excellent choice for people who are not good with children.

Yeah. Like me.

In any case, unless Pluto or Garfield have roles in the subject movie of this thread,.... (a gentle request. Thank you!).

Edited by Jerry Biggers

Where did that information come from? Was the suit made public or noted/alluded to anywhere? It would be interesting to dig out some of the details, such as the year, who had the rights at the time, and so on.

Almost as boring as Canadian politics, but hey.

I found something on ObjectivismOnline that contains a note back from a Peikoff staffer:

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:58 PM

I sent a question in to Peikoff's podcast asking his opinion on the Atlas Shrugged movie currently in production. He didn't answer it on the podcast but I got a response from his assistant:

"Dear Gil,

The Estate of Ayn Rand sold the movie rights to Atlas Shrugged many years ago, to an individual whom Dr. Peikoff thought at the time to be an Objectivist. Dr. Peikoff, however, has discarded this opinion, and no longer has any connection to, interest in, or knowledge of the project.

In the light of recent articles in the Hollywood press, he has only the most dismal prediction in regard to the future product.

Sincerely,

Kim Marzullo

Assistant to Dr. Peikoff"

So, it doesn't completely answer your question but it gives some insight.

FYI:

I was searching for a specific dedication from an Alan Drury book and ran across a movie forum with a post on Atlas Shrugged the movie and its release:

"I posted this on the BOOK forum and then decided to post it here also. I realize many of you may not read books but if you want to read a really great one ATLAS SHRUGGED is one to add to your list.

"I just read that ATLAS SHRUGGED Part 1 will be hitting the big screen in the Spring of 2011. Ayn Rand is one of my favorite authors. I would advise any of you that have not read Atlas Shugged to do so before you see the movie. It is going to be VERY interesting to see how closely the script of the movie follows the spirit of the book. I haven't been to a movie theater since Saving Pvt. Ryan hit the big screen but I will buy a ticket to Atlas Shrugged part 1.

Oh BTW if you are a slow reader and you want to read it before going to the movie you better start reading now. It is over 1,200 pages long if I remember correctly. John Galt's speech covered over 50 pages by itself."

Adam

Once again, I am stunned by how "terrified" the main stream culture is about Ayn's ideas.

Will the movie version of Ayn Rand's 'Atlas Shrugged' divide audiences?

"Someone who knows what it's like to work for himself, and not let others feed off the profits of his energy." So begins the trailer for the movie version of "Atlas Shrugged," based on the book by Ayn Rand. It's coming to theaters April 15, as "Atlas Shrugged: Part 1."

"Atlas Shrugged" is a book that's part science fiction, part paean to capitalism. When the 1,168-page book came out in 1957, Robert Kirsch wrote in the L.A. Times:

It is probably the worst piece of large fiction written since Miss Rand's equally weighty "The Fountainhead." Miss Rand writes in the breathless hyperbole of soap opera. Her characters are of billboard size; her situations incredible and illogical; her story is feverishly imaginative. It would be hard to find such a display of grotesque eccentricity outside an asylum.

But Kirsch was not the only one to weigh in. Another staffer, Paul Jordan-Smith, found it entirely more palatable.

It's a book every businessman should hug to his breast, and the first novel I recall to glorify the dollar mark and the virtue in profit. ...

How the shabby little left-wingers are going to hate it!

Will the movie be equally likely to split audiences?

-- Carolyn Kellogg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the Globe and Mail [Canada] Atlas Shrugged Trailer Released

Ayn Rand's self-described masterwork, Atlas Shrugged, has finally been made into a Hollywood film, and now the trailer is on YouTube.

The movie (which is the first installment in what appears to be a trilogy) is set for release in April, propitious timing given the political climate in America, one in which Republicans and Tea Partiers are portraying Barack Obama's Democrat administration in the same light that Rand portrayed the American government in her novel: as that of a statist, interfering, initiative-killing, anti-capitalist dystopia.

Enjoy the trailer! (Found via GalleyCat)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And thankfully, we can count on this quality intellectual analysis and review by the Huffington Post:

I Love John Galt Atlas Shrugged the Movie

Here are some of his, the co-author, The Big Jewish Book for Jews : Everything You Really Need to Know to Be a Really Jewish Jew

Ellis Weiner Co-author Amazon Page

gems:

"...the movie of Atlas Shrugged does indeed exist, and is slated to explode in libertarian fabulosity at, or in, or all over, a theater near you.

"The trailer isn't as ludicrous as one might wish (although it gives hope that the film--the first of three intended installments--will be)..."

"Will, then, Atlas Shrugged Part 1 be a good movie? The honest answer is, we don't know yet. The other honest answer is, We hope not and can't imagine how it can be, given what those in the biz call 'the original material.'"

"It's not The Turner Diaries and it's not (to name another work of fiction) The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, but it's a great big huge fucking mess literarily (sic), philosophically, psychologically, sociologically, and every other ogically you can find. Any movie version of it that is not itself a great big huge fucking mess will therefore have failed to remain faithful to its source, and leave me, for one, very disappointed and cross."

"Still, let's adopt a wait-and-see attitude. Let's wait, and when the movie comes out, let's see it. Because, however much we don't want it to be good, we want it to succeed. We want the film to show enough box office mojo to prompt its creators to green light Part II. And then, in defiance of all common sense and good taste and intellectual honesty, we'll see that, too.

Because then they'll have to make III, which will include John Galt's 57-page, three hour Speech in which the demi-god hero derives a philosophy of seventh-grader entitlement from the axiom that "existence exists." It is an axiom with which, frankly, I take issue. I'm no phil major, but I don't think existence exists. It's like saying "what color is blue." I think everything in the universe except existence exists, although I could be wrong."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fascinating, absolutely fascinating.

At least, I now know the number of words in Atlas...643,000.

Made this review worth reading.

Ellis does make an excellent point about the stupidity of the website deleting negative comments:

"(And when I say "dismissal" I mean it. So far I've posted three less-than-complimentary comments and all three were immediately deleted--and this, from a site dedicated to a film and a novel ostensibly championing fearless dissent and the sacredness of the individual vision. As the French say, it is to laff.)"

When are we going to learn?

Adam

getting more confident of the movie's success with every hysterical negative review

Edited by Selene

Here’s a peculiar one. It’s not at all insightful, but still it's strange to see Ayn Rand compared to Thomas Pynchon, in this case on the grounds that their stories don’t translate well to film. Inherent Vice is reportedly in the works, with Paul Thomas Anderson (Magnolia) directing and Robert Downey Jr. playing the lead. This will be the first time that adapting one of his books has even been attempted, and I have high hopes that it will be great. Then this Salon writer will get to feast on a double serving of crow.

http://www.salon.com/news/ayn_rand/index.html?story=/ent/movies/feature/2011/02/16/atlas_shrugged_trailer_film_ayn_rand

Someone mentioned Passion of the Christ in an earlier post, I was just thinking back to all the negative things that were written about it before it came out. And how it went on to be a huge hit.

Someone mentioned Passion of the Christ in an earlier post, I was just thinking back to all the negative things that were written about it before it came out. And how it went on to be a huge hit.

Too bad Scorsese's movie couldn't have overcome the negativity, it was excellent.

Too bad Scorsese's movie couldn't have overcome the negativity, it was excellent.

You might be mixing up Scorsese's Last Temptation of Christ with Gibson's Passion of the Christ. I agree about the former, somewhere in the DVD extras Scorsese talks about the career troubles that one cost him (getting financing for later projects etc.). I remember being at a Catholic mass when it came out, the priest actively recommended it, provoking grumbles from the congregation.

You might be mixing up Scorsese's Last Temptation of Christ with Gibson's Passion of the Christ. I agree about the former, somewhere in the DVD extras Scorsese talks about the career troubles that one cost him (getting financing for later projects etc.). I remember being at a Catholic mass when it came out, the priest actively recommended it, provoking grumbles from the congregation.

Yes the Last Temptation, that's it. Just a good movie. But up against the Church and Hollywood expecting more mean-streets hardass, he had no chance just to say what he wanted to say and explore a fascinating subject. Though he did it.

I am bothered by this scene from the trailer: Dagny in Reardon's office saying, "I'm gambling on your metal .....it had better be everything you say it is." That strikes me as very un-Randian. Dagny didn't think she was gambling on the metal. She studied Reardon's reports and the formulas for the metal and made an engineering student's judgment that it was good.

I hate nitpicking, but I don't think lines like this reflect the characters very well. Of course, it is a trailer and all of the lines are out of context. Still.....

I agree with another post here that Ellis Wyatt seemed different than I would have expected. Of course, I also thought Angelina Jolie would be a great Dagny. Go figure.

Here again, in just four (4) days, half a million views on YouTube. Now I understand that much of these came from Phil's computer droid room in his house where he has fifty computers constantly hitting the YouTube trailer 24/7, but still that is a lot of traffic.

Now, the exponential effect of all us Randian gatekeepers takes effect big time.

Question for the day is what are the ten (10) cities that have been selected. I know mine, New York is going to be one. My guess would be:

L.A.; Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, Dallas, Washington, St. Louis, Dallas[or other Texas city] and Miami.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Debut Of Long Awaited Movie Strikes a Cord

Culver City, CA (Vocus/PRWEB) February 16, 2011

Spurred on by an onslaught of viewer comments and debate, within 4 days of The Strike Productions, Inc. releasing the ATLAS SHRUGGED Movie trailer on YouTube, total views exceeded 500,000.

"The response to the trailer has been incredible and indicative of the current interest in Ayn Rand’s 54 year old book." says film’s producer Harmon Kaslow. "We are pleased to have received so many positive responses from viewers of the trailer. And, while we also expected a certain amount of pushback, it’s shocking the amount of venom aimed at the message of the film." continued Kaslow.

Kaslow said, "Given the popularity of the novel, we are not surprised by the volume of daily comments and vigorous debate surrounding the film. We knew it was coming. Shortly, we will be announcing the 10 cities exhibiting the film no April 15, 2011."

The ATLAS SHRUGGED Movie trailer, released on Friday (February 11, 2011), is available for public viewing at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W07bFa4TzM

ATLAS SHRUGGED PART I, a movie based on Ayn Rand’s epic novel "Atlas Shrugged", is scheduled to open in limited release on April 15, 2011. For more information, visit http://www.AtlasShruggedPart1.com.

About “The Strike” Productions:

“The Strike” Productions, Inc. was created by producers John Aglialoro and Harmon Kaslow as a new production company for the sole purpose of producing a trilogy of films based on Ayn Rand’s epic novel, "Atlas Shrugged".

###

Billie Herwig

The Strike Productions, Inc."

PR WEB Article Atlas Shrugged Trailer Surpasses 500,000 Views on YouTube

> what are the ten (10) cities that have been selected [to show Atlas Shrugged]. I know mine, New York is going to be one. My guess would be: L.A.; Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, Dallas, Washington, St. Louis, Dallas[or other Texas city] and Miami. [Adam]

I certainly hope they are not dumb enough to simply [or exclusively] select the largest cities and "biggest media" cities. Reason: They tend to be liberal and cultural establishment bastions with -very- liberal film critics who are more likely than most to pan the movie based on their dislike for Rand's politics. Just like they would pan a 'tea party' movie. And where left-leaning or 'trendy' audiences are less likely to go see it nonetheless, compared to say, some smaller cities or southern cities like Charlotte or Tampa or Salt Lake City.

If the reigning, dominant film critic pans a movie in New York or L.A. (or doesn't even review it!), , almost no one goes to see it and the show's run ends in two or three weeks. People in those places, pussy-whipped by the liberal press, have the mistaken view the 'elite' f.c.'s know what they are talking about.

It's *absolutely crucial* for a 'limited release' to choose places where the theaters are more likely to be full than nearly empty. Those are not going to be the traditional leading cities at least not for this particular, ideologically edged movie. (For the same 'cultural establishment blockade' reasons that ARI op eds across the last two decades basically never appear in the NYT or the LAT or the big Chicago, Miami, etc. papers but more frequently in little papers and in secondary cities.)

Otherwise no theater owners around the nation are going to want to pick up a 'stinker', and the film goes direct to DVD.

Edited by Philip Coates