Canadian Politics: Boring beyond Belief, or just Dull and Tedious?

caroljane

FRATERNAL ORDER OF THE SACRED IGLOO Local 13

Dear Brothers,

I am back and with renewed dedication to our timeless values of Brotherhood and all it entails, especially the joys of family after renewing vows with my dear Claudine who has had to stay down there even though it is really too hot for her.

I got a good look at the rest of Parliament and saw that of course she would never be tempted to stray by any of those losers, even if they did win elections, I am ashamed that I had Doubts especially when I looked at some of the Albertans.

Back to business with finding the Grand Shaman again, and Brother the other Gord's sensational photos of the Duchess of Cambridge which his cousin sent him from Yellowknife, first on agenda of tomorrow's meeting.

Glad to be back in the cold,

Gord

Asst. Shaman

FRATERNAL ORDER OF THE SACRED IGLOO Local 13

Office of the Grand Shaman

Dear Brothers,

We will be suspending regular activities to concentrate on Healing Ceremonies for Claudine's boss (and affiliate Brother) Jack. Thanks to all the members and affiliates who have already volunteered to set up the hut and interview the eldest elders about correct ceremonial procedures. All others, please contact Nanook to receive your assignments. If you don't he will contact you, so we expect to hear from everybody by tomorrow night before supper. This means you too, Grampa McAloon.

ISS

Gord

Asst. Shaman

It is seldom that a TV news headline strikes a chord. But I just heard this one on CTV: "Politics are set aside as a collective nation has Jack's back."

Yes.

Yes, indeed, Carol.

For our curious Yankee friends, the last two entries refer to Jack Layton, the headman of the New Democratic party, leader of the Opposition in Parliament. He was under treatment for prostate cancer, and now has stepped down to follow treatment for newly discovered non-prostate tumours.

He announced his cancer in a straightforward media statement.

He looks drawn, and the whisper of the grave has stilled partisan rancour for the moment. He takes temporary leave from his position as party leader, hopes and plans to be back when the House sits in September . . . but the sad fact remains that he is gravely ill and in a battle for his life.

Edited by william.scherk

It is seldom that a TV news headline strikes a chord. But I just heard this one on CTV: "Politics are set aside as a collective nation has Jack's back."

Yes.

Yes, indeed, Carol.

For our curious Yankee friends, the last two entries refer to Jack Layton, the headman of the New Democratic party, leader of the Opposition in Parliament. He was under treatment for prostate cancer, and now has stepped down to follow treatment for newly discovered non-prostate tumours.

He announced his cancer in a straightforward media statement.

He looks drawn, and the whisper of the grave has stilled partisan rancour for the moment. He takes temporary leave from his position as party leader, hopes and plans to be back when the House sits in September . . . but the sad fact remains that he is gravely ill and in a battle for his life.

We take with every other part

"the rag and bone shop of the heart"

The mind so rich, the soul so strong,

The voice that dares us to belong.

A politician, who now ails.

If he does not, his voice prevails.

Beat me for my bad verses all you want.

Nah...

• 3 weeks later...

Just a note in the spirit of two-countries-divided-by-a-common-language.

Various politicians are appealing to the masses who are most likely to vote on both sides of our longest formerly-undefended border.

Our guys and gals are beating the drum for "working families." Yours are rending their hearts over the "middle class."

These groups obviously represent the same cull of a broadly cast net, people with jobs and responsibilities. I think it's touching that Americans maintain the outdated term which, to me, connotes a net-curtained house and a salaried job, but I think ours is more realistic. In any given family these days, if all the adults aren't working, neither are the heat or cable.

In the increasingly wide space between the extremes of wealth and of poverty, the excluded middle listens to the either-or of the politicians.

Sad news for many Canadians of all political stripes -- our own Jack Layton has died.

220px-Jack_Layton_-_2011.jpg

Sad news for many Canadians of all political stripes -- our own Jack Layton has died.

220px-Jack_Layton_-_2011.jpg

"The time you won your town the race

We chaired you through the market-place

Man and boy stood cheering by

As home we bore you shoulder-high..."

-AE Housman, To an Athlete Dying Young

but your name will not die, Jack.

Edited by daunce lynam

It's extraordinary to be here, a few blocks from the constituency office and all the flowers and tributes, only a greeting on the street away from someone else who knew him, a click away from where he lies in state,and everywhere you look, something he changed or tried to change or accepted with wit and pragmatism. To remember my father of 60 (also a Jack) and husband of 58, who died the same way with the same courage. To hear from the powers he opposed, truths banal but universal. To see so many honouring the best in us and of us, which is not glamour or charisma or success, but decency and civility and persistence with high heart in pursuit of the best for all.

Canadian Boring I named it, and so it is. The best of us is on display now, exciting no one but the Laytons and Douglases who will come along, on fire from within.

Edited by daunce lynam

x16517515.jpgspacer.gif

Adam, thank you. I left out the smiles and the laughs and the self-aware jokes which so defined him. I saw a clip last night from one evening when he held the balance of power in the minority government. He did a great cover of "King of the Road" ("Party for sale or rent...we'll support any government")He was a good pianist. guitarist, singer and accordionist. When PM Harper said he regretted the jam session that never was, I believed him. Liberal leader Bob Rae is also a semi-professional class pianist. What does this say about us? I too regret the Battle of the Bands that will never be.There aren't many concerti for three pianos, but they could have played the hell out of them.

• 2 months later...

FRATERNAL ORDER OF THE SACRED IGLOO LOCAL 13

confidential - urgent

Dear Brother Adam,

I just got your message about organizing the yaks, elks, deer and other herd animals for that Owl conference you have down in New York. We lend you our brotherly support and best wishes, but the thing is, the sled dogs don't want to go. They like to eat owls when they can get a hold of them, but they do not consider themselves to be herd animals but members of a team.

Bottom line is, Nanook says no way, so it is no use me trying to talk to them. That Nellyclungalways bites me anyway.

Sorry.

On a brighter note it's just a few months till ArcticCon and the gals are chewing the pemmican like crazy.Looking forward to that seminar you'll be leading.

ISS.

Gord

Asst. Shaman

TO: All members Secret Plan committee - URGENT/ CONFIDENTIAL

Jesus please us! Brother Duke has gone rogue and is talking to the media, he has some kind of website and who knows what, -- what part of Secret as in Secret Plan does he not understand?

Who's in charge of Sector 149 anyway ? Brother Useless Joel I suppose. Somebody get ahold of him right away.

Look, maybe it isn't a disaster, just premature. It's all gonna happen anyway, we're just not really ready -- I mean we've got the ice and all, ..those seasons tickets will be tough though, the Lapps and Finns want to bring the reindeer for free..

Emergency meeting at the Satellite Hut tonight at 6 sharp, no excuses.

If Claudine hears about this I'm toast.

ISS

Gord

Ice Fishing Hut of the Grand Shaman

Dear Brother Adam, greetings.

I am writing from the Executive Box in the Hut, it is a little inconvenient running down the ladder when I get a bite on the line but the fishing is great and Wish you were here.

We on the Academic Committee of ArcticCon 2012 are pleased to announce that we have accepted your proposal for a talk and seminar, Sex Addiction: What Does it Mean to Us as Brothers of the Sacred Igloo? We have announced it on our workshop schedule and already interest is high, in fact everybody attending the conference has signed up so we might have to change the venue from somewhere inside to somewhere, well, outside. But these logistics will be worked out.

Please forward the visual materials for your presentation that you said you had to the Grand Shaman c/o me, the Committee will need to preview them.

Also, the Chair of the Catering Committee has requested you to source bagels for the Farewell Campfire. We will provide the butter or if not seal grease. The Chair this year is the other Gord, he has been bitching about the food for years, even saying there never is any, so now he is in charge and see how he likes it

We will be in touch soon to firm up details. Hey, ha!ha! Good one if I do say so myself .

ISS

Gord

Asst. Shaman

• 1 month later...

As we gather in the Satellite Hut to watch whatever is managing to come in at the time, we frequently discuss the news we see about people who are running for prime minister down in the States..

We are not sure of the basic qualifications for the top job there. We know our two. The PM must be able to speak English and French, and play a musical instrument preferably the piano. We know the US candidates don't need French, or even English like GW Bush, but we have not heard anything about the musical qualifications since Clinton and the saxophone. What gives?

As we gather in the Satellite Hut to watch whatever is managing to come in at the time, we frequently discuss the news we see about people who are running for prime minister down in the States..

We are not sure of the basic qualifications for the top job there. We know our two. The PM must be able to speak English and French, and play a musical instrument preferably the piano. We know the US candidates don't need French, or even English like GW Bush, but we have not heard anything about the musical qualifications since Clinton and the saxophone. What gives?

Monica Lewinsky...

Do I win?

Monica Lewinsky...

Do I win?

Oh, of course. This is Canadian politics we are talking about here. If you can make the effort to think about them, much less get your lazy butt off the couch to go and vote for somebody, you are definitely a winner.

Reluctantly on the music issue I must award the palm to Harper, who is trying to ruin Canada however good a pianist he is. He is just excellent on the keyboard and vocally he blows his nearest rival Bob Rae out of the water. We must face facts and these are the facts.We can only hope the rumours are true, that Nycole Turmel plays a mean harmonica.

Oh, no....Helmet Head Harper says there will be "major economic reforms" this year...notice he announced them after Christmas. I don't want to find out what they are. When the old Scrooge uses "economic" and "reform" in the same sentence it always means that the poor will get more children and less family allowance. I just hope he isn't checking his list of back tax owers twice.

• 4 weeks later...

NOT BORING AT ALL

He's here!

Callum John Lynam, Grandson#2.

7 lbs 4 0z, dark hair like his father, mighty lungs like his grandfather, sky blue eyes like his mother

Heart like a little lion, I can tell.

Congratulations Carol!

1541790bjyivuo3fz.gif

3222477f2g4ia4lw6.gif

NOT BORING AT ALL

He's here!

Callum John Lynam, Grandson#2.

7 lbs 4 0z, dark hair like his father, mighty lungs like his grandfather, sky blue eyes like his mother

Heart like a little lion, I can tell.

Congratulations Carol!

1541790bjyivuo3fz.gif

3222477f2g4ia4lw6.gif

Thanks Adam, I love the pix, especially the way you've dressed him in Maple Leafs blue and white.

Carol

The littlest Iglovian. He will of course be our mascot at ArcticCon, how are the bagel negotiations and samples of your sold-out presentation going, Brother Footdragger?

Also, please confirm that you will be bringing your militia troupe, they say the Russian icebreakers are looming up the Inlet again.

Gord

The Russians can't even launch a Mars probe!

They only have one air craft carrier!

We will not need any militia, as Lord Wellington explained, "I am nimmukwallah, as we say in the East; that is, I have eaten of the King's salt, and therefore I conceive it to be my duty to serve with unhesitating zeal and cheerfulness, when and wherever the King or his government may think proper to employ me."

When they hit the false ice floe mines they won't be much of a problem, unless they block the channel.

Here is the un-camouflaged model 196px-Ice_Floe.jpg

We appear out of the frozen mist and vanish back into the ice.

Adam

agent 99's best lover