caroljane

This started on the Workplace Movie thread when I mentioned I liked the Dr Who avatar (include 9ths in this).

Having served my 30 days on OL, and about 50 on the Internet in total, I have a bit of the feel for the culture and feel qualified to pontificate on its every aspect.

My computer will always remain to me a typewriter with benefits, the screen a page of writing. The illustrations will always be something of a distraction though often a welcome one. It is nice to know what a writer looks like, I appreciate the photos people post, and I enjoy some of the droller icons.I realize that icon placement is a shorthand skill I will never have.

But it's the avatars that fascinate me, because I know that besides the interests and personal info you may or may not choose to share, they represent your core values in a highly personal way. Even if they are just funny, they are funny in a way that reflects your worldview and self. Here I was going to do an exposition on various avatars- but I've changed my mind. I'll just say that that one of my favourites belongs to a person who I know despises me; one of the avatars that least impresses me, belongs to someone whose writing and character impress me; and I would like to have an avatar but I do not know how to put it up and I emailed Kat but she never answered me. I don't reallly mind though. Us hooded menacing strangers with no age, sex or location are the most restful correspondents, if you ask me.

This started on the Workplace Movie thread when I mentioned I liked the Dr Who avatar (include 9ths in this).

Having served my 30 days on OL, and about 50 on the Internet in total, I have a bit of the feel for the culture and feel qualified to pontificate on its every aspect.

My computer will always remain to me a typewriter with benefits, the screen a page of writing. The illustrations will always be something of a distraction though often a welcome one. It is nice to know what a writer looks like, I appreciate the photos people post, and I enjoy some of the droller icons.I realize that icon placement is a shorthand skill I will never have.

But it's the avatars that fascinate me, because I know that besides the interests and personal info you may or may not choose to share, they represent your core values in a highly personal way. Even if they are just funny, they are funny in a way that reflects your worldview and self. Here I was going to do an exposition on various avatars- but I've changed my mind. I'll just say that that one of my favourites belongs to a person who I know despises me; one of the avatars that least impresses me, belongs to someone whose writing and character impress me; and I would like to have an avatar but I do not know how to put it up and I emailed Kat but she never answered me. I don't reallly mind though. Us hooded menacing strangers with no age, sex or location are the most restful correspondents, if you ask me.

I tried to put my actual picture up a couple of years or more ago, but it was rejected as too fat with no instructions on how to deal with that, so I just grabbed something out of the community pile. I like it because it makes it easy to find my posts while scrolling through a thread so I'm not changing it. So there! (I also like airplanes.)

--Brant

I tried to put my actual picture up a couple of years or more ago, but it was rejected as too fat with no instructions on how to deal with that, so I just grabbed something out of the community pile. I like it because it makes it easy to find my posts while scrolling through a thread so I'm not changing it. So there! (I also like airplanes.)

--Brant

I like airplanes too. My own photo actually resembles a troll, and though I would like to put it up for my friend Tony and other interested-sounding persons who have requested it, I'm glad that it's inadvisable. That raincoat really dates me.

Instructions:

Save a squarish image under 50K in size to your destop, or where convenient. Click on your name on the upper right of this page at OL. Then click on the blue "edit my profile" button on the right, and then "change avatar" in pale blue in the list on the left of the following page. Now scroll down to and click the "choose file" button in the middle of the page. In the browser of your computer contents that opens, find the image on your desktop or wherever you saved it. Select it and click open. It will now be populated on the OL avatar settings page. Click "save changes." If you do not see the image immediately, try reloading the browser page. If it still doesn't show up, you probably tried to use an image over 50K in size.

Edited by Ted Keer

Instructions:

Save a squarish image under 50K in size to your destop, or where convenient. Click on your name on the upper right of this page at OL. Then click on the blue "edit my profile" button on the right, and then "change avatar" in pale blue in the list on the left of the following page. Now scroll down to and click the "choose file" button in the middle of the page. In the browser of your computer contents that opens, find the image on your desktop or wherever you saved it. Select it and click open. It will now be populated on the OL avatar settings page. Click "save changes." If you do not see the image immediately, try reloading the browser page. If it still doesn't show up, you probably tried to use an image over 50K in size.

I think I just heard "Daunce's" head explode.

Instructions:

I think I just heard "Daunce's" head explode.

Only the right side. I don't use it anyway.

I like airplanes too. My own photo actually resembles a troll, and though I would like to put it up for my friend Tony and other interested-sounding persons who have requested it, I'm glad that it's inadvisable. That raincoat really dates me.

Come now; you know it's not a "raincoat." (Drab name.)

I will lay 100 rands even money, that you refer to the item as a "Mack".

Saving the confusion of those south of the border, eh?

I went to a party one time that stipulated Mackintosh-and-nothing-else dress code.

Might still be a photo around of me, and if so, I'll show mine, if you show yours.

Deal?

Tony

:rolleyes:

Tony,

We're talking apples and orange outerwear. The American Empire dominates our sartorial nomenclature here. If invited to such a party (of course I would not go as I am too Respectable)I would have to devise something like Lady Gaga's meat dress, only with fruit.

Canada gave the world its best-tasting apple, just as Scotland gave the most practical rain gear, and Billy Connolly to sing its anthem (the Welly Boot song). And a major symbol of authoritarianism (the Jannie). I feel a PhD thesis coming on...better go lie down till the feeling passes.

Edited by daunce lynam

Note to Ted.

Thanks for the info. I am making progress though like Brant I am still too fat.

Tardis flashback (a redundant phrase if there ever was one). We went to Scotland when Son Whohead was 9. Needless to say, our sightseeing activities consisted entirely of finding and guarding police boxes and being photographed by Japanese tourists many, many times while our Dalek 3-year-old threw cosmic tantrums.

To Anonymous:

It's a very dark purple-blue, almost black, with a rusty tinge. Size 10 (it's a little tight). It has snaps, not buttons, at about 3-inch intervals.

I don't know why, but your questions make me feel a little uncomfortable, if you don't mind my saying so.

Daunce:

Is your famous blue raincoat torn at the shoulder? Just wondering.

Yes, it's torn in most places from all the treestump-perching. Any special reason for your interest?

It is a line from a Leonard Cohen song. It was a test. You failed. ;)

Daunce:

Yes, it's torn in most places from all the treestump-perching. Any special reason for your interest?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Please, please don't tell the Brothers about this, they will make me stop singing Halleluia at every meeting and Closing Time after bingo. I'm grovelling here. I never said that I was brave. Which song?

You big ape with angel glands, you.

Daunce:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Please, please don't tell the Brothers about this, they will make me stop singing Halleluia at every meeting and Closing Time after bingo. I'm grovelling here. I never said that I was brave. Which song?

Why, "Famous Blue Raincoat," of course. Only his best. Nice pun, by the way, Marianne. Figuring out Famous Blue Raincoat makes reading Galt's speech feel like walk in the park. [Just kidding, Phil, keep your powder dry.].

Have I mentioned, by the way, that Leonard Cohen is Canadian?

[Whilst the knife is already in, no reason to avoid twisting...]

Daunce:

Why, "Famous Blue Raincoat," of course. Only his best. Nice pun, by the way, Marianne. Figuring out Famous Blue Raincoat makes reading Galt's speech feel like walk in the park. [Just kidding, Phil, keep your powder dry.].

Have I mentioned, by the way, that Leonard Cohen is Canadian?

[Whilst the knife is already in, no reason to avoid twisting...]

Writhing, writhing on the ground. Was it for this I read Beautiful Losers at age 13, barely understanding a word, that a Young Turk should now expose my superficial knowledge for what it is?

Of course it was only to be expected. As the newest inductee of the Brotherhood, naturally you are afire with zeal. Converts are always the worst.

Edited by daunce lynam

Uh, Tony, would you like to join too? I write at the suggestion of our Grand Shaman Gord who fancies himself an oenophile. He says if you will send us a case of SA red we will waive your first year's dues. Sound like a good value trade?

Tony,

We're talking apples and orange outerwear. The American Empire dominates our sartorial nomenclature here. If invited to such a party (of course I would not go as I am too Respectable)I would have to devise something like Lady Gaga's meat dress, only with fruit.

Canada gave the world its best-tasting apple, just as Scotland gave the most practical rain gear, and Billy Connolly to sing its anthem (the Welly Boot song). And a major symbol of authoritarianism (the Jannie). I feel a PhD thesis coming on...better go lie down till the feeling passes.

OK Carol:

Now you're talkin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdNqUW5wwTE

http://www.billyconnolly.com/

Adam

man is a genius

Tony,

OK Carol:

Now you're talkin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdNqUW5wwTE

http://www.billyconnolly.com/

Adam

man is a genius

Aye, he's came a lang wa' frae the red sandstone.

You know Scotsmen; when they're bad, they're horrid. But when they're good ==aah, when they're good--

BTW you know the standard Scots answer to the perennial question, "What is worn under the kilt",

I presume?

Pregnant pause is over...

OK what is under the kilt?

Nothing is worn under the kilt. It is all in perfect working order.

I never answer that question on a first date.

A matching set!

They have been in the family for as long as I can remember....

Well, enough to say it scared the milkman's horse when I bent down to pick up today's delivery.

I don't know... I daren't look!

Talcum powder.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Socks and shoes.

regimental.JPG

Pregnant pause is over...

OK what is under the kilt?

Nothing is worn under the kilt. It is all in perfect working order.

I never answer that question on a first date.

A matching set!

They have been in the family for as long as I can remember....

Well, enough to say it scared the milkman's horse when I bent down to pick up today's delivery.

I don't know... I daren't look!

Talcum powder.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Socks and shoes.

regimental.JPG

Well, I asked for it. Sir, I am beginning to fear you are not quite Respectable.

Getting a new idea for avatar though...