Archives: "Happy Birthday Ronald Reagan!"

Ed Hudgins

Happy 100th Birthday Ronald Reagan!

February 6, 2011 marks the centenary of the birth of Ronald Reagan. Reagan will be remembered as one of the greatest presidents, a champion of limited government, and a strong opponent of communism. "The Great Communicator" could masterfully articulate the principles of individual liberty and inspire millions to a renewed confidence in the ability of free people to run their own lives.

Shortly before his passing, Edward Hudgins offered birthday thoughts on the significance of America's 40th president. We hope you'll join us in reflecting on a great life.

"Happy Birthday Ronald Reagan!"

Edward Hudgins

February 6, 2004 -- Today is the birthday of a great man who, tragically, doesn't know it. Ronald Reagan is 93 years old, but Alzheimer's disease robs him of the ability to remember his own achievements. But we can remember.

Reagan took office at a time when the United States was at a low ebb, with double-digit inflation and unemployment; lines at gas stations; American hostages in Iran and Soviet troops in Afghanistan; Jimmy Carter telling us we were suffering from malaise; and Henry Kissinger telling us we were on the losing side of history.

Reagan came into office with a basic belief that America was a country in which individuals could realize their dreams and make it on their own, and in which government had become the problem rather than the solution to problems. One of his first acts was to cut confiscatory tax rates. He even talked openly about closing down entire federal government departments.

Reagan evaluated communism in moral terms, accurately describing the Soviet Union as an "evil empire." In Berlin, he called on Soviet boss Mikhail Gorbachev to "tear down" the wall that not only divided the city but also imprisoned those who desired freedom. Reagan saw America as a special place, a "shining city on a hill," the exemplar for the rest of the world.

Yes, Reagan was not perfect. Yes, he did not accomplish many of his goals. Yes, he took some stands that did not enhance individual liberty. His opponents portrayed him as an affable idiot. But as editors Kiron Skinner and Martin and Annelise Anderson show in the recent collection of letters entitled Reagan, in His Own Hand, he was a thoughtful and literate man of ideas. This no doubt helped win him his epithet "The Great Communicator."

But the debate spawned by Reagan's presidency concerning the role of government is in sharp contrast to the sterile situation in Washington today. Administration policies mix some pro-freedom measures like lower taxes and partial social security privatization with huge increases in domestic government spending and a new half-trillion-dollar Medicare entitlement. Republicans in the House of Representatives are now openly challenging the administration on its spending spree, and the administration is promising to hold domestic discretionary increases to "only" four percent annually. But these well-intentioned Members of Congress will only have limited success—if any—because what is truly lacking in Washington is a coherent discussion of political principles. And where sound principles are lacking, there is little chance for freedom to survive.

President Reagan appealed to the best within people, and his rhetoric sowed in the soil of America the ideas of liberty and limited government from which effective policies would grow. Today, we need to revive such rhetoric if the free Republic that Reagan so loved is to be more than a memory.

I guess in politics, those who can't do bitch online.

I guess those who can't defend their position rationally resort to ad hominem.

I think it's important to have a rational view of Reagan and to consider all aspects, not just jump on the patriotic conservative bandwagon. My biggest concern with Reagan, and I say this as an opinion not as an expert on history, is his escalation of the War on Drugs. This "war" is a blatant attack on the Bill of Rights. Of course, Objectivists seem not to be that concerned about the Bill of Rights being trashed.

Shayne

Let me be a voice in favor of Ronald Reagan.

And a voice to applaud a fine article, Ed.

Within the context of what the world was when Reagan took office, including the state of the USA government, he was a great man who did wonderful things.

If you analyze him within the context of ideals divorced from that context, you can find many faults. The only problem is, the world exists as it is. It doesn't exist in limbo.

Reagan was a highly competent politician in in a mixed up and dangerous world in addition to holding pro-liberty leanings. He was not just a walking set of principles. He jumped in the middle of it all and made a difference instead of standing on the sidelines and refusing to be a part of it.

Understanding him that way, I'm proud of his work and I'm proud to be proud of it.

Ed, you should be proud of that article, too.

Michael

• 11 months later...