Aristotle Responds on Catachresis

caroljane

It has recently come to my attention that the vile Catachresis, whom as you know I have long disliked while not knowing concretely that he was vile, just that he was boastful and nouveau-riche, is using his vileness to vilify a major integration of the Lyceum, the long-awaited clarification of my Generation of Animals, The Cuttlefishian Caper. As you know I provide the Prologue to this important work by Theophaestus, and I think you are aware of who I am.

When Catty chose to bruit about the agora his ignorant denunciations of Theo's observations and conclusions of the derivation of baby cuttlefish from mother cuttlefish, and to spread his slanders afield even upon the newts and tree-toads, I could bear no more, being who I am.

I am the heir of Plato who was the intellectual heir of Socrates who left all his money (hardly any)to his wife.

Was it for Socrates to sit amongst schoolboys to be instructed in music whilst looking like a fool? Well yes it was, but that was Socrates. Was it for Plato to leave a comfortable home and go abroad trying to persuade tyrants to be reasonable at risk of life and limb? Only part-time. Is it for Aristotle and his colleague and possible intellectual heir to get wet and dirty trying to observe the base copulations of cuttlefish and newts? We reach our conclusions by Reason alone, and leave the inessentials to lower animals like Catty.

Did Plato pass the Academy to me or his newphew Pseusippos? Well, Pseusippos, but who cares. Did he leave his money to me, along with the unpublished early tragedies that he told me to burn up but I didn't?

Yes!

I think you now remember who I am, the founder of this Lyceum, advisor to kings via my godcasts, the only true keeper of the eternal flame which burns within the cave of Plato.

I expect everyone to behave accordingly. Just behave!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daunce, I had to read this twice to figure out what recent event in the Oist movement you were referring to. If you would just stop writing in Canadian, you would be easier to follow.

BTW, what sort of name is Daunce?

(BTW, I liked "l'eclat c'est moi". Its rare that you get a pun in French alluding to Louis XIV on this site.)

Daunce, I had to read this twice to figure out what recent event in the Oist movement you were referring to. If you would just stop writing in Canadian, you would be easier to follow.

(BTW, I liked "l'eclat c'est moi". Its rare that you get a pun in French alluding to Louis XIV on this site.)

Thank you! Did you catch the reference in the name of Ari's coauthor?

Daunce is a name I made up to go with Lynam, my real (married)surname, to make an acronym in homage to an underappreciated writer I admire,(Canadian of course) And no it is not myself, WSS, Joel, Bob Mac, Tim or any other unsung Richlers out there.

It has recently come to my attention that the vile Catachresis, whom as you know I have long disliked while not knowing concretely that he was vile,

I expect everyone to behave accordingly. Just behave!

huh?

Edited by pippi

It is an anagram of Dunce Layman.

Good guess, but not quite keeredt.

Edited by daunce lynam

I can't care-your original post made no sense whatsoever-you may be literate and lyrical with a large vocabulary and the ability to quote but your posts have no point or substance.

Why do you bother? I sincerely would like to know. How can there be any satisfaction in being smug at the expense of clarity?

Edited by pippi

Who cares-your original post made no sense whatsoever-you may be literate and lyrical with a large vocabulary and the ability to quote but your posts have no point or substance.

Why do you bother?

Have a heart, Pip. I'm still stunned by the staggering wit of your original riposte. Twice in a row is not fair.

Here we go again...

Throwing Down the Gauntlet duel-7.jpg

Have a heart, Pip. I'm still stunned by the staggering wit of your original riposte. Twice in a row is not fair.

Wtf is a riposte?-my first post that I said Huh to? That is what I meant - HUH? What was your point?

You cannot see beyond your upholstered stuffy tearoom domicile can you?

Here come the catfight images - ugh I dont care - my main point is WTF would ppl like Daunce and Shirk post here except to pollute the communal waters with their smugness and one upmanship hair splitting.

D what exactly was the message of the first post on this thread-do you even know?

Edited by pippi

Pippi, I will answer your serious question seriously. What you perceive as my "taking satisfaction in being smug" is what I perceive as enjoying myself on a recreational website. In my real life, I do have satisfaction, but except for comic effect I am never, ever smug, I am grateful. I have been very lucky in every way that matters, and most of that luck has come from others, not myself.

I don't take this website as recreational-I guess that is the main difference between us.

Thanks for the sincere reply :)

You're welcome. (I don't do emoticons)

I am disappointed in this reply. I should have known.

Fool me twice I suppose.

I don't take this website as recreational-I guess that is the main difference between us.

Thanks for the sincere reply :)

You're welcome. (I don't do emoticons)

I am disappointed in this reply. I should have known.

Fool me twice I suppose.

Now I'm the one confused. That wasn't sarcastic if that's what you meant - I really don't use emoticons, or I would have added one too here. Sometimes I really am clear, you know. "you're welcome" is what all Canadians are brought up to say after someone thanks you. That's all it was.

Ok!

Excellent. Now where do I go to get my gauntlet back?

President Ronald Reagan appointed Donovan as U.S Secretary of Labor on February 4, 1981, and he served in this office until March 15, 1985. Under his secretaryship, he reduced the department's staff and budget, granted regulatory relief to businesses through changes in Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) enforcement practices, revised the Davis-Bacon rules, modified Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) rules, created new industrial home work rules, and revised the federal compliance regulations.

In a highly publicized 1987 case,[1] Donovan and six other defendants were indicted by a Bronx County, New York grand jury for larceny and fraud in connection with a project to construct a new line for the New York City Subway, through a scheme involving a Genovese crime family associate and a minority-owned subcontractor.[2] Schiavone Construction was obligated to subcontract part of the work to a minority-owned enterprise. The essence of the charge was that because the minority owned firm (Jo-Pel Contracting and Trucking Corp) leased equipment from Schiavone, that it was not truly independent of Schiavone.

On May 25, 1987, Donovan (and all of the other defendants) were acquitted, after which Donovan was famously quoted as asking, "Which office do I go to get my reputation back?"[3]

Donovan held 50 percent ownership in Schiavone Construction until its late 2007 sale to a Spanish congolomerate.

ok Daunce-truce?

I will allow you to retreat.

Carol:

Now that was quite uncool.

Adam

To: Lyceum Staff

There has been a further outrage from an unspeakable source, who has nevertheless spoken, about the very title of our breakthrough Cuttlefishian Caper.

Sources indicate that he is saying I was imprecise in my identification of the concept of "Capering" and that cuttlefish in fact could be said to instead "slither", which is an evasion of reality so incomprehensible to the Person I Am that I hardly know how to respond. I should not have to.

The evident truth is that cuttlefish caper, to be precise they do not gambol or frivol or hop or skip, and they incontrovertibly do not slither.

I should not have to say this. I should not have to say anything, or write anything.

I have traduced this heresy, because I owe it to Reason and the Estate,

in the fine traductionist tradition of the Lyceum of which we are all, proudly unequal, part.

Edited by daunce lynam

Alright, let me see if I got this right: Catachresis = McCaskey; Generation of Animals, The Cuttlefishian Caper = The Logical Leap; Theophaestus = Harriman; Plato = Rand (!); Aristotle = Peikoff (!!); which I suppose means Socrates = Aristotle.

Seems clear enough, but now who the heck is Pseusippos?

> WTF would ppl like Daunce and Shirk post here except to pollute the communal waters with their smugness and one upmanship hair splitting.

Pipster, to call it smug is inaccurate. Shirkster and Daunting have sort of a quirky intellectual's punster's anagramist sense of humor. It's sort of a 'literary canuckistani' style. (Of course it could simply be that Canadians are better educated than we Yanks???)

You don't have to have that personal style, but there's nothing objectively wrong with it.

Try to have an open mind. Different Spokes for Different Wheels.

You don't have to have that personal style, but there's nothing objectively wrong with it.

Try to have an open mind. Different Spokes for Different Wheels.

What is this, Invasion of the Body Snatchers? What have you done with the real Phil?

> now who the heck is Pseusippos? [ND]

Well, Speusippus was a nephew of Plato, so maybe that's a reference to nepotism, meaning people getting promoted because or closeness or relationships or loyalty. And he -was- a philosopher. And Pseu suggests psuedo...(Maybe I've been doing too much Spurious Sipping of wine, though.)

I guess we'll have to wait for the authorized tell-all biography of Daunce to find out.

Edited by Philip Coates