This is a riot.

pippi

Pippi:

You have posted Savage clips before, I am frankly surprised that you are a fan of his. I have listened to him for decades.

He grew up within two (2) miles of where I grew up by Utopia Parkway and Union Turnpike, near St. Johns University. I used to run into him all the time. Remarkable individual. Degree in immunology.

He is quite off the wall at times. He lives in San Francisco. I am sure that Riggenbach must know him as they are in the same industry and area.

Adam

Edited by Selene

Pippi:

You have posted Savage clips before, I am frankly surprised that you are a fan of his. I have listened to him for decades.

He grew up within two (2) miles of where I grew up by Utopia Parkway and Union Turnpike, near St. Johns University. I used to run into him all the time. Remarkable individual. Degree in immunology.

He is quite off the wall at times. He lives in San Francisco. I am sure that Riggenbach must know him as they are in the same industry and area.

Adam

I am surprised you are surprised :)

I adore him!

Pippi:

Adam

I am surprised you are surprised :)

I adore him!

He is extremely edgy. I am sure you are aware that he has been banned from England, correct?

Also, he is rabidly anti-Islamic.

Adam

He is extremely edgy. I am sure you are aware that he has been banned from England, correct?

Adam

Oh my, I know all that already-I am not trying to sponsor him for sainthood, I just enjoy his show.

Edited by pippi

Adam

Oh my, I know all that already-I am not trying to sponsor him for sainthood, I just enjoy his show.

Ok. Just wanted to do the full disclosure thing. He is very bright and extremely satirical so I love to listen to him, but I can't take too much of him when he goes on one of his rants because I know him so well, I know where he is going.

Have you ever listened to Phil Hendrie? He is also quite insanely funny. He does off the wall interviews with different voices which are hilarious.

Ok. Just wanted to do the full disclosure thing. He is very bright and extremely satirical so I love to listen to him, but I can't take too much of him when he goes on one of his rants because I know him so well, I know where he is going.

Have you ever listened to Phil Hendrie? He is also quite insanely funny. He does off the wall interviews with different voices which are hilarious.

I will look for him maybe, I just enjoy Savage (unless he goes on a boring tangent about some conspiracy theory, then I have to zzzzzzzz-aka his obsession with Wheeler)

You seem to have some respect for him and know him personally in some way-I find that combination encouraging-at least you don't hate him :)

Pippi

The caller was pretty clearly a garden variety Creationist. His limited but fancy vocabulary, attribution of amoral nihilism to Darwin, and general tomfoolery all back that up. Savage did a good job keeping him on topic.

As for Savage, while nothing he said was necessarily antisemtic he attacked Kissenger and that "Old Yenta" Albright as "without loyalty to his country", the "internationalist", lacking a "moral center" and "obsessed with power". No shades of antisemitism there at all.

Why is it the further to the Right you go, the more residual antisemitism you find? All the old attacks against the Jews are now directed at Hollywood, Academic and Media "Elites".

It reminds me a lot of arguing with Randists over on OO.net and Speicher's site.

"We need public roads because..."

"Nuhuh! Proper measurement omission and Roads qua Roads and What Would John Galt Do? And..."

"Right, back in the real world..."

You have hit on my absolute favourite OO.net topic, private roads. I have never seen a discussion of this that made any sense whatsoever once it gets going. The start is sometimes fine and reasonable, when it is pointed out that toll highways are not an odd thing, that gated communities manage their roads adequately, that railways have private rights of way, that private contractors already build roads all over the world . . . and then things lurch into the fantastic realms I call Magical Marketplace.

All analyses and prescriptions for private roads fail to bridge the gap between arguably practical (private highways, private internal subdivision roads) and the unexamined (urban trunk roads on down to local collectors). The pixie dust of Market Magic gets blown over the the hard parts and the Objectivishists get back to easier topics.

Edited by william.scherk

It reminds me a lot of arguing with Randists over on OO.net and Speicher's site.

"We need public roads because..."

"Nuhuh! Proper measurement omission and Roads qua Roads and What Would John Galt Do? And..."

"Right, back in the real world..."

You have hit on my absolute favourite OO.net topic, private roads. I have never seen a discussion of this that made any sense whatsoever once it gets going. The start is sometimes fine and reasonable, when it is pointed out that toll highways are not an odd thing, that gated communities manage their roads adequately, that railways have private rights of way, that private contractors already build roads all over the world . . . and then things lurch into the fantastic realms I call Magical Marketplace.

All analyses and prescriptions for private roads fail to bridge the gap between arguably practical (private highways, private internal subdivision roads) and the unexamined (urban trunk roads on down to local collectors). The pixie dust of Market Magic gets blown over the the hard parts and the Objectivishists get back to easier topics.

[Gratuitous insult deleted]. The whole point of markets is you can't explain the free decisions of the millions of players in a market to elitist morons. Pixie dust my ass, its self organizing, that's the point. Have you ever thought of the fact that the way out of monstrous public debt is to sell off publicly owned property to private interests? Like roads and bridges and public parks?

There is an article and discussion on Rebirth of Reason here in case you missed it.

Have you ever thought of the fact that the way out of monstrous public debt is to sell off publicly owned property to private interests? Like roads and bridges and public parks?

It would barely make a dent. Per this site the federal government owns about 650 million acres of land. Assume this is worth about $2000 per acre on average, which I believe is generous since about 45% of that land is in Alaska and 9% in Nevada. (Alaska is not drawn to the same scale as the other states on the map. Alaska is about 2.5 times as big as Texas.) 650 million x $2,000 = $1.3 trillion. That is about one year's outgo for Social Security at the current level. That is less than 1/10th of federal government debt (the monetized part).

Edited by Merlin Jetton

[Gratuitous insult deleted]. The whole point of markets is you can't explain the free decisions of the millions of players in a market to elitist morons. Pixie dust my ass, its self organizing, that's the point. Have you ever thought of the fact that the way out of monstrous public debt is to sell off publicly owned property to private interests? Like roads and bridges and public parks?

Indeed.

Shayne

Does Savage take more days off than other talk radio hosts? I don't know because I only listen to him, but my goodness he is off alot (plus live content is 2 hours and the 3rd is filler).

I also do not care for his fill in, Jeff Kuhner, he is too much of a sycophant.

Just wondering.

Still a fan though. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Savage is another disc jockey blowhard who depends on the gain to overshout his thin and tinny callers. He is practiced at verbal bullying. I fail to see that attraction.

Objectivism includes a lot of residual patriotism for what American was and for what little of that remains. We focus on the best and try to forget the rest. Myself, I'm a globalist. I am an American first. I was born and raised here. I will never be free of that, nor do I want to be. But that said, you look at the Earth from orbit and there are no lines, no maps. Tne National Geographic map of The Earth at Night speaks to the glory of human achievement. It is the lights at night, not the lines on a map that are important.

Objectivism includes a lot of residual patriotism for what American was and for what little of that remains. We focus on the best and try to forget the rest. Myself, I'm a globalist. I am an American first. I was born and raised here. I will never be free of that, nor do I want to be. But that said, you look at the Earth from orbit and there are no lines, no maps. Tne National Geographic map of The Earth at Night speaks to the glory of human achievement. It is the lights at night, not the lines on a map that are important.

And what was America the first four score and seven years of its existence. A nation either built on slavery or which tolerated slavery.

And much of the light you speak of was not made in America. Electricity and electromagnetism was discovered in Europe and its theory elaborated there.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Michael Savage is another disc jockey blowhard who depends on the gain to overshout his thin and tinny callers. He is practiced at verbal bullying. I fail to see that attraction.

Have you listened to him over time? He is unique, insightful, incredibly intelligent and sometimes quite touching, today's show especially was very sweet.

He may be an acquired taste but I find it absolutely worth the effort.