RAND GRAPHIC NOVELS

caroljane

I just heard that the ARI is producing a graphic Anthem and this was the first such rendition of a Rand work I've heard of. The two big novels always seemed to be naturals for this treatment. OK, Atlas Shrugged would be more like a set of encyclopedias, but what encyclopedias! Anyone know of whether this has already been done?

I just heard that the ARI is producing a graphic Anthem and this was the first such rendition of a Rand work I've heard of. The two big novels always seemed to be naturals for this treatment. OK, Atlas Shrugged would be more like a set of encyclopedias, but what encyclopedias! Anyone know of whether this has already been done?

Carol:

Source please. And what does a "graphic" Anthem mean?

Adam

An illustrated Anthem ran in Famous Fantastic Mysteries, a sci-fi magazine, in 1953. Rand supervised a comic-strip serialization of The Fountainhead in the late 40s. I wonder what the old Classics Illustrated comics might have done with her novels.

Edited by Reidy

Carol:

Adam

Sorry Adam, I heard it from my daughter-in-law (a writer with a passing interest in things Randian). She's on the net all day because of her online business, murder mystery parties.(plug plug I guess. I don't know where she saw it.

Carol:

Adam

Feb 2011 release: http://www.amazon.com/Ayn-Rands-Anthem-Graphic-Novel/dp/0451232178

Preview: http://www.mindposts.com/uncategorized/book-preview-ayn-rands-anthem-the-graphic-novel-with-video

Edited by Mikee

Carol:

Adam

Feb 2011 release: http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/0451232178

Preview: http://www.mindposts...ovel-with-video

Mikee:

Thanks, I guess my concept of "graphic" was a little more obscene than the medium the it is being presented in by your link.

Adam

Carol:

Adam

Feb 2011 release: http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/0451232178

Preview: http://www.mindposts...ovel-with-video

Mikee:

Thanks, I guess my concept of "graphic" was a little more obscene than the medium the it is being presented in by your link.

Adam

Nothing to it. I googled "Ayn Rand anthem graphic". The two links I posted are from the top of the first page of hits. Took about 30 seconds. I suspect Carol has no real interest in the topic, at least not 30 seconds worth.

I'm delighted to see Anthem in a graphic-novel version. It's the least necessary such artistic conversion for a work by Rand — even those, such as my brother, who don't like reading novels of heft have read and appreciated Anthem — but it's welcome, nonetheless.

I've enjoyed the visual style of Joe Staton for years, and don't find it at all "crude," as the usual imbicilic Publishers Weekly reviewer insists in the review posted at Amazon's listing.

Staton is direct and fluid in not letting over-ornate details get in the way of powerful storytelling. Which is what Rand's novella is, despite those who have an anti-individualist axe to grind in attempting to chop at it.

I first heard of this version when Yaron Brook of ARI announced it, and its cover was displayed, during John Stossel's Fox Business show on 13 January.

It's impossible to not be cynical in thinking that this is a ploy to get another version of Anthem under the control of Rand's estate again, as the story in its U.S. version is now in the public domain — the only such work of Rand's until at least 2057.

(Not the original British version, which was printed in facsimile showing Rand's revisions in her own hand, accompanied by the U.S. text and an unneeded commentary by Peikoff. That way, NAL's widely sold "Expanded 50th Anniversary Edition" paperback was placed under Peikoff's control.)

Yet the art by Staton and the reworked "screenplay" are still worthy of checking out, despite their being copyrightable and, thus, manipulable by those such as ARI and Peikoff. One of those parasites, I'm sure, had something to do with commissioning or initiating this.

Still, despite any motives or ploys behind the scenes, this is likely to be a brilliant adaptation, and I plan to buy it.

This comment was also posted to initiate a discussion on the book's forum page at Amazon.com.

Edited by Greybird

Mike:

Carol has explained that she is new to the internet and therefore is not as proficient at framing a search as the rest of us.

However, she should learn. Hell, an idiot like me has been able to become really expert at internet research.

Adam

The graphic novel of Anthem was also shown on the Stossel show about a week ago when he had Yaron Brook on and showed the winners of the video contest. Anthem is now in the public domain so that is probably why it was the redone this way.

Kat

The graphic novel of Anthem was also shown on the Stossel show about a week ago when he had Yaron Brook on and showed the winners of the video contest. Anthem is now in the public domain so that is probably why it was the redone this way.

Erhm ... didn't somebody else just note both of these things? {grin}

I must be on your ignore list. Which would mean you won't see this posting, either.

I'm delighted to see Anthem in a graphic-novel version. It's the least necessary such artistic conversion for a work by Rand — even those, such as my brother, who don't like reading novels of heft have read and appreciated Anthem — but it's welcome, nonetheless.

I've enjoyed the visual style of Joe Staton for years, and don't find it at all "crude," as the usual imbicilic Publishers Weekly reviewer insists in the review posted at Amazon's listing.

This looks very sketchy and crude to me, like an un-inked Betty and Veronica. That opinion might make mi imbicilic yit I git no ril plisure frim this ipic virsion.

Here is the full Publisher's Weekly blurb that raised Griybird's ire:

In a future where misguided egalitarianism has reduced a once-vibrant civilization to a handful of doctrinaire serfs living in the rubble of what once was, Equality 7-2521 rejects the mindless collectivism of his people to embrace individuality. His curiosity about the mysteries of the past is anathema to those selected to rule; Equality's rejection of his assigned menial role is if anything an even greater affront to his master. Forced by the lesser men around him to flee, Equality and his lover, Liberty 5-3000, find refuge in a conveniently preserved chalet, free to rediscover eternal truths suppressed by their totalitarian forefathers. Adapted from Rand's 1938 novella, Staton's art is oddly crude for such a veteran artist, but oddly well suited for Rand's clumsy, hectoring story. The product of a time when authoritarian regimes seemed destined to prevail, written by a refugee from the Russian revolution, Anthem might have been a valuable reminder of what happens when ideology trumps humanitarian concerns, but sadly, Rand was not up to the task; Santino and Staton do what they can with this dismal tribute to egotism, but the result is still a hard slog.

Edited by william.scherk

[...] I've enjoyed the visual style of Joe Staton for years, and don't find it at all "crude," as the usual imbicilic Publishers Weekly reviewer insists in the review posted at Amazon's listing.

This looks very sketchy and crude to me, like an un-inked Betty and Veronica. That opinion might make me imbicilic, yet I get no real pleasure from this epic version. [...]

Well, I didn't intend to imply that the reviewer's (or your) opinion about its being "crude" is what made the reviewer (or you) "imbicilic." That, though, was my lapse in attention. Many views are possible about Staton's comic-drawing esthetics. I've seen considerable storytelling skill from him in other settings.

I'll point out, though, that — as you say — what's visible is un-inked art as yet. Inkers bring out many subtleties in what the original penciller — the usual term, though it's often digital nowadays — has created.

(Also, it's un-colored art. Much texture and tone is added with that stage. But it's not clear as to whether this will be in color. We can't always assume that, not with the still-considerable cost of such printing.)

Comics and graphic novels are far more collaborative than most artworks. And the marketing was likely created months ago, before this was finished.

What's imbicilic is the PW reviewer's unelaborated, hammering use of "clumsy, hectoring story," "not up to the task," "dismal tribute to egotism," and "hard slog." None of which applies to this quite accessible novella.

As for its being a "product of a time when authoritarian regimes seemed destined to prevail" ... look around you, PW reviewers. Haven't they done so? Aren't they continuing to expand their reach? Isn't that one of Rand's points?

Edited by Greybird

Adam, the word grapho is the Greek for "I write" and is cognate with the native English word "carve." The sense meaning depicted violence is a very recent and highly derived one. An investment in and familiarity with Skeat's Concise Etymological Dictionary or Calvert Watkins' Dictionary of Indo-European Roots would help you avoid such errors.

Sorry to say, but "crude" is exactly the same word that occurred to me when I saw his 1970's edition Boy Scout Handbook style drawings.

Edited by Ted Keer

Adam, the word grapho is the Greek for "I write" and is cognate with the native English word "carve." The sense meaning depicted violence is a very recent and highly derived one. An investment in and familiarity with Skeat's Concise Etymological Dictionary or Calvert Watkins' Dictionary of Indo-European Roots would help you avoid such errors.

Sorry to say, but "crude" is exactly the same word that occurred to me when I saw his 1970's edition Boy Scout Handbook style drawings.

Thanks Ted:

I took the connotation of "sexual" from the use of the word graphic, as in b : vividly or plainly shown or described <a graphic sex scene>. I imagined the drawings being like semi clad nymphs like the "Eloi" in the Time Machine.

Shows where my mind was at...lol.

Adam

Thanks Ted:

I took the connotation of "sexual" from the use of the word graphic, as in b : vividly or plainly shown or described <a graphic sex scene>. I imagined the drawings being like semi clad nymphs like the "Eloi" in the Time Machine.

Adam

The evolution of the word graphic to mean sexual/violent is similar to the evolution of the word chronic to mean marijuana:

Doctor: "Are you a chronic smoker?"

Patient: "Yes, I smoke chronic."

Thanks Ted:

Adam

The evolution of the word graphic to mean sexual/violent is similar to the evolution of the word chronic to mean marijuana:

Doctor: "Are you a chronic smoker?"

Patient: "Yes, I smoke chronic."

chronic-43064.jpg

For the uninitiated - high quality and usually has red "hairs" on the ganja

Am familiar with Joe Staton's work, and have to agree that it seems a little crude (perhaps the right term is 'loose'), compared to his usual work. Perhaps this is due to him working in b/w when he usually does color comics.

I think Steve Ditko would have been a better choice.