my job

pippi

ok for reasons i dont want to explain (because it is boring and self indulgent) i have 2 pt jobs

one is very low paid

this low paid one is the only permanent one i have so i have to deal with it

they just changed our shifts and one of the days they gave me I cannot work-I am worried I will lose the job...not sure how to proceed except to change my life to fit this low paying job. (it is pennies over min wage)

most of this company's workforce is outsourced so I suppose I fit into the 'you are lucky to have a job' category-it still makes me mad tho-getting damn tired of doing a good job only to get kicked in the teeth

I also find that when I think about it - most ppl I know are either on gvt aid or living off a significant other and that makes my stomach turn.

Not sure what to do here -not sure why I am posting this but I love ayn rand's philosophy and hope someday it will all pan out on "our" side

pippi

Subject: Anti-Effort, Lack of Pride among the Camp-Followers

Crucial character or attitude traits which employers look for in hiring people for really good jobs with a future and a career path are pride, motivation, and the willingness to make an effort.

Companies report that these things are hard to find in the 'entitlement society'.

Two immediate indications of these qualities or their absence are: *appearance* - how people dress or groom themselves and *communication* - whether or not they seem lazy, inattentive or unfocused in how they express themselves. In your case, bad punctuation and grammar --- and lots of 'lazy' abbreviations --- suggest lack of effort and attention.

(I wouldn't pick on you in particular if it weren't for the extremely bad literacy or writing skills: As this list has declined and 'lowest common denominator posters' have come to dominate, the sloth factor - laziness and sloppiness has increased. You are not the only person who posts on this list who displays these traits.

The form it usually takes is 'one-liners' and snarkiness as opposed to making an effort -- taking the time to think things through with clarity, effort, and attention to detail before firing off another brainless post.)

Edited by Philip Coates
  • Upvote 1

Crucial character or attitude traits which employers look for in hiring people for really good jobs with a future and a career path are pride, motivation, and the willingness to make an effort.

Companies report that these things are hard to find in the 'entitlement society'.

Two immediate indications of these qualities or their absence are: *appearance* - how people dress or groom themselves and *communication* - whether or not they seem lazy, inattentive or unfocused in how they express themselves. In your case, bad punctuation and grammar --- and lots of 'lazy' abbreviations --- suggest lack of effort and attention.

(I wouldn't pick on you in particular if it weren't for the extremely bad literacy or writing skills: As this list has declined and 'lowest common denominator posters' have come to dominate, the sloth factor - laziness and sloppiness has increased. You are not the only person who posts on this list who displays these traits.

The form it usually takes is 'one-liners' and snarkiness as opposed to making an effort -- taking the time to think things through with clarity, effort, and attention to detail before firing off another brainless post.)

And these collectivist smears you specialize in?

--Brant

Edited by Brant Gaede

Subject: Thoughtless, "Chat List" Responses

> And these collectivist smears you specialize in? [brant]

Do you understand the difference between 'collectivism' and a general statement about a broad tendency?

And between a 'smear' and a valid criticism of a widespread tendency?

Finally, you are one of the people I was thinking of constantly who tends to make lazy posts -- often unthinking, anti-effort oneliners. (An occasional one-liner can be refreshing or appropriate, of course, but you're smarter than that.)

Edited by Philip Coates

Subject: Thoughtless, "Chat List" Responses

> And these collectivist smears you specialize in? [brant]

Do you understand the difference between 'collectivism' and a general statement about a broad tendency?

And between a 'smear' and a valid criticism of a widespread tendency?

Finally, you are one of the people I was thinking of constantly who tends to make lazy posts -- often unthinking, anti-effort oneliners. (An occasional one-liner can be refreshing or appropriate, of course, but you're smarter than that.)

You don't even seem to understand the difference between "collectivism" and "collectivist" respecting context used.

It's a smear because it's collectivist, but perhaps apropos to a particular person. You smeared the entire forum and most of its participants. You only seem to come here any more because your bathroom is out of order.

You have no idea the thinking behind my one-liners or whether they're lazy or not. I do what I can do when I can do it.

And I said nothing about you jumping all over a new poster who might have benefited from a little positive interaction and feedback. My bad.

--Brant

IMO pippi posted this here with a reasonable expectation of sympathetic responses from like-minded people. She hasn’t provided enough info about her age, education, etc. for anyone to conclude that she’s a slacker (or, ahem, “anti-effort”) for working a bottom of the barrel job (and surprise (!!) not liking it). I hope she sticks around and gives Phil the ignoring he deserves.

thank you both.

I used to work tech-there are no jobs where I live now doing tech work. I had a tech support job over the summer (phone support) that also just paid just over minimum wage.

I am posting normally for the reader's sake not because of bullying by someone who will remain nameless.

It's post-2008 fascist bailout of the fat cats and Objectivists are *still* blaming the little guy for any plight.

In true a free market, virtually everyone would be able to get a job (and create his own) and reasonably prosper, even if they were not as literate as Phil would prefer.

Shayne

One suggestion I will make: try a recruiter's office. If you're young enough, and you like tech work, the military is not a bad way to go. With the declining opportunities in the private sector (depending on your experience/education), the military does offer stability, a decent paycheck with benefits.

If you do go to a recruiter, don't be bullied into signing. Just go to see what they offer. If for nothing else, get a few years under your belt to get you started in a trade. If you don't have any college education (or even if you do), you can continue towards a degree program, further improving your chances in the real world.

I've seen quite a few of my buddies in basic training that went general, and got what the AF gave them. That plan sucks. Know what you want to pursue based on available jobs. If it's stability you'd like, I can't think of a better starting place. I'd start with AF ;)

~ Shane

Subject: Dodging, Whining, Pissing, and Moaning

Brant, ND, SJW simply dodged the very valid advice I offered. It's no coincidence that they are often among the worst and sloppiest posters on the list.

And therefore resent any "bullying" suggestions to shape up.

If you don't like a butt-kicking when you post in a slovenly manner, then you should take the time to do it with minimal effort: Capitalization and using periods aren't all that hard. Or unreasonable to expect.

And please don't give me any crap about being kind to a 'new' poster. It's exactly new people who need to have such things pointed out to them.

Brant, ND, SJW ..and others... are too set in their ways to change.

Who replaced Philip with his caricature? I want the real Philip back.

Shayne

-It's shameless that I'm compared to Brant. I have two spaces before my name.

Pippi:

Where are you from?

And without giving up any private info, a rough age range would help me.

I think that, depending on your age and location, the military is a serious option to inquire about as Shane suggested.

If you have only yourself to support, then it still seems sensible to keep the full time job as your base.

The best time to look for a job is when you have one.

I just looked back on your posts and I would love to see you post some more.

Adam

Brant, ND, SJW simply dodged the very valid advice I offered.

What advice? That she should write professionally on a discussion forum unrelated to her job search? Oh, yeah, that’s helpful.

tumblr_lctgjy5jL91qczxc6o1_500.jpg

• Like 1

Subject: Dodging, Whining, Pissing, and Moaning

Brant, ND, SJW simply dodged the very valid advice I offered. It's no coincidence that they are often among the worst and sloppiest posters on the list.

And therefore resent any "bullying" suggestions to shape up.

If you don't like a butt-kicking when you post in a slovenly manner, then you should take the time to do it with minimal effort: Capitalization and using periods aren't all that hard. Or unreasonable to expect.

And please don't give me any crap about being kind to a 'new' poster. It's exactly new people who need to have such things pointed out to them.

Brant, ND, SJW ..and others... are too set in their ways to change.

Talk about projection!

--Brant

oh my goodness this has gotten messy.

I am in my 40s and live in the northeast.

The military is not an option for me. Thanks though very good idea!

I did work as a tech professional for about 10 years then changed fields for the last 8 or so-now I am just basically looking for anything that pays more (even $9 an hour would be an improvement.)

> That she should write professionally on a discussion forum unrelated to her job search? [ND]

Do you call a request for such things as capitalizing the first letter of a sentence and a period at the end of each 'writing professionally'?

> That she should write professionally on a discussion forum unrelated to her job search? [ND]

Do you call a request for such things as capitalizing the first letter of a sentence and a period at the end of each 'writing professionally'?

I was going to try to separate out what was good in what you said from what was psychotic, but your dishonesty dissuaded me.

Shayne

-is not opposed to good grammar, and only slightly opposed to Brant's cryptic style.

pippi, don't know if this would be of help, but I have been in your position (earning minimum wage after being downsized mid-career in my 40's). What I did was take a TESL certificate course part-time while doing the day job. It worked out for me, teaching ESL is a great job with lots of autonomy. I don't know about your area but here it pays CDN$40/hr. And it's secure.

I did work as a tech professional for about 10 years then changed fields for the last 8 or so-now I am just basically looking for anything that pays more (even $9 an hour would be an improvement.)

Phillip:

"i thank You God for most this amazing

day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees

and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything

which is natural which is infinite which is yes"

Care to kill a poet's style while you're bombasting from on high?

Adam

sorry, that really was messy, I put my posst in the wrong place. You can see that I could never have made it in tech.

pippi, don't know if this would be of help, but I have been in your position (earning minimum wage after being downsized mid-career in my 40's). What I did was take a TESL certificate course part-time while doing the day job. It worked out for me, teaching ESL is a great job with lots of autonomy. I don't know about your area but here it pays CDN$40/hr. And it's secure.

thank you daunce! I will surely look into it-sounds good to me.

uh oh it looks like they require relocation-doable if the assignment is only temporary.... Do you have anymore info? PM me if you think that is better than replying in the thread - thanks

Edited by pippi

> Care to kill a poet's style while you're bombasting from on high? [Adam]

Care to grasp the difference between a poem and writing prose?

Care to grasp why there are rules of grammar and punctuation?

Care to grasp why your school teachers taught you to capitalize sentences and put periods at the end?

Care to grasp why employers don't hire people who are obviously slovenly and lazy about basic English?

Care to grasp why pointing this out to a new poster is the BEST advice one could possibly give to him or her?

Care to grasp why Objectivism teaches reason and part of that is order, standards, clarity, precision in communication?

The economy offers stability, if you are wealthy enough. For a great many others it entails jumping from one end of the city to another to get slapped around by progressively worse pimps like a two dollar whore.

it certainly seems that way