Taking a Break - Better Things to Do

A number of the more thoughtful people don't post regularly any more.

I've been finding more and more that the threads on this site are repetitious, that people don't read carefully what others are saying and mischaracterize or missrepresent what others say.

That's in addition to the constant infighting, the endless rehashing of 'schism' issues, the failure to have learned Objectivism - presumably a base for the "community" aspects.

Time for me to take a break from regular posting.

And from reading what's posted here on too regular a basis.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you'd use the quote function, Phil, you could actually engage in substantive discussions. Since you don't use it we can't trust your cut and snip. But this sort of thing is your high horse and it's as pretentious as hell. The conclusion is you are not interested in substantive discussions so you get engaged in ways that irritate the crap out of you.

--Brant

So let me get this straight--you started a new topic so everyone could fret about your sudden leave of absence?

Isn't this what the "status update" function is for? CNA's recent parting shot is an underhanded slap in my face but at least she didn't start a new topic on her disillusionment with this "Objectivist."

In psychology we call this attention-seeking behavior.

Well, we couldn't let you go without appropriate fanfare....

Attention-seeking though it may be, I think it is kind of a damn shame. It makes me want to eulogize him. I'm going to do a little lifting, parody, but rather than cite the source, I'm leaving it as a "Quiz" question.

Phil would have wanted it this way.

"And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird." --
Revelation 18:2

Phil Coates is gone now, and I am poorer for it.

I have had my own bloody relationship with Phil for many years, but I am not worried about it landing me in hell with him. I have already been there with that bastard, and I am a better person for it.

He was a giant in his way. He had the fighting instincts of a badger trapped by hounds. The badger will roll over on its back and emit a smell of death, which confuses the dogs and lures them in for the traditional ripping and tearing action. But it is usually the badger who does the ripping and tearing. It is a beast that fights best on its back: rolling under the throat of the enemy and seizing it by the head with all four claws.

That was Phil's style -- and if you forgot, he would kill you as a lesson to the others. Badgers don't fight fair, bubba. That's why God made dachshunds.

The family opted for cremation until they were advised of the potentially onerous implications of a strictly private, unwitnessed burning of the body of the man who was, after all, an Objectivist. Awkward questions might be raised, dark allusions to Hitler and Rasputin. People would be filing lawsuits to get their hands on the dental charts. Long court battles would be inevitable -- some with liberal cranks bitching about corpus delicti and habeas corpus and others with giant insurance companies trying not to pay off on his death benefits. Either way, an orgy of greed and duplicity was sure to follow any public hint that Phil might have somehow faked his own death or been cryogenically transferred to fascist Chinese interests on the Central Asian Mainland.

It would also play into the hands of those millions of self-stigmatized patriots like me who believe these things already.

It is fitting that Phil's final gesture to the OL people was a clearly illegal series of 21 105-mm howitzer blasts that shattered the peace of a residential neighborhood and permanently disturbed many children. Neighbors also complained about another unsanctioned burial in the yard at the old Coates place, which was brazenly illegal. "It makes the whole neighborhood like a graveyard," said one. "And it fucks up my children's sense of values."

But he is gone now, and if we look towards the Coates Place, and see it with the right kind of eyes, we know that we are all, all of us, poorer for it. We know that our relentless efforts at softening him, those savagely endless blows of meat tenderizing mallets being used as million-pound shithammers, were all in vain. Near the end, he was transforming himself into a different, lighter-hearted Phil--transcending from his traditional (and loyally-served) position as a punching bag into a true (if slightly musty)
bon vivant

I am a spiritual man, but not one borne of petty superstitions. Even so, it would not surprise me at all (indeed, it would bring a joyous tear to my eye) were he to rebirth himself at some future time--walking back out from The Light with a new, deeper, Holier insight. And new ways to correct our grammar and manners, as well.

You will be missed, O Sultan of Stuffiness.

________

Dennis:

Isn't this what the "status update" function is for? CNA's recent parting shot is an underhanded slap in my face but at least she didn't start a new topic on her disillusionment with this "Objectivist."

I won't bother with the "I told you so" things, but simply remind you to never look a gift horse in the mouth.

rde

Sobbing uncontrollably.

So let me get this straight--you started a new topic so everyone could fret about your sudden leave of absence?

In psychology we call this attention-seeking behavior.

Well, we couldn't let you go without appropriate fanfare....

Dennis,

I see absolutely no reason to bring my name into this and your bringing up your personal issues with me and our falling out on a public forum. Personal matters are personal matters. But if you would like to discuss why we had a falling out on a public forum, I don't mind doing so. It was brought to my attention this morning that you had brought my name up and their asking why and what happened. I have not discussed and named names and explained what happened. You see it as an underhanded slap when no one on this forum knows what happened and the meaning of my status update which you seem to think it is geared towards you which it is not. Most here have known for many many months why I was getting tired of online forums which the reasons are numerous some of which are posted here in public. Dennis, I don't have a problem with you. You were expecting more from me as you made it abundantly clear what you wanted from me so I made my own intentions very clear. You became upset over this because what you wanted was not something I was interested in.

I apologize if you took what I said with such a great offense but you also said a few things that upset me and offended me and you ultimately requested to no longer speak with me. But I'm not here on a public forum and discussing private matters and smearing your name or badmouthing you. It saddens me more now that you are doing this. I understand that it hurt and that the feelings were not mutual but it's life and we don't always get what we want.

Angie

Dennis H,

Rap?

Dayaamm!

(*)You sure have a lot beneath the surface

That's really cool.

Michael

(*) I hope he does. It looks like he might be needing it. B)

Phil, I know you're out there lurking and I want you to accept that this is all your fault, like it almost always is, but that I will still miss you.

rde

Let's All Go to the Rodeo, Rodeo, Rodeo

Edited by Rich Engle

Rich,

So you see a Nixon connection?

I hadn't thought of that...

:)

Michael

Well, not really. It just plugged in real good. Maybe the misanthropic thing. More like the Hawaiian natives killing off Captain Cooke after they figured out he wasn't Lono.

But Phil is a little less arrogant, and knows what a native war club can do to a man, so I'm guessing his superior survival skills kicked in. He's probably just regrouping, and for that I admire him.

rde

Building his Phil Shrine and waiting for His Triumphant Resurrection.

Edited by Rich Engle

A number of the more thoughtful people don't post regularly any more.

I've been finding more and more that the threads on this site are repetitious, that people don't read carefully what others are saying and mischaracterize or missrepresent what others say.

That's in addition to the constant infighting, the endless rehashing of 'schism' issues, the failure to have learned Objectivism - presumably a base for the "community" aspects.

Time for me to take a break from regular posting.

And from reading what's posted here on too regular a basis.

Since Phil has been the primary source here of repetition, careless reading and misrepresentation of what others say, I'm very glad that he's leaving. Hopefully his departure will end up being permanent. Now the rest of us can get back to discussions without constantly being interrupted by a willfully ignorant, presumptuous schoolmarm.

Good riddance, I say.

J

Unlike your narcissistic repetitious injection of your mannerist philosophy everywhere. Not that I entirely disagree with you.

You have some good points, but you do not really grasp the fundamental reasons for the problems you cite. And besides, there's a brand new schism brewing. Grab some popcorn. Sit atop a mountain and watch the world go to hell while complaining about manners. It's all the same thing.

Shayne

Dennis,

I see absolutely no reason to bring my name into this and your bringing up your personal issues with me and our falling out on a public forum. Personal matters are personal matters. But if you would like to discuss why we had a falling out on a public forum, I don't mind doing so. It was brought to my attention this morning that you had brought my name up and their asking why and what happened. I have not discussed and named names and explained what happened. You see it as an underhanded slap when no one on this forum knows what happened and the meaning of my status update which you seem to think it is geared towards you which it is not. Most here have known for many many months why I was getting tired of online forums which the reasons are numerous some of which are posted here in public. Dennis, I don't have a problem with you. You were expecting more from me as you made it abundantly clear what you wanted from me so I made my own intentions very clear. You became upset over this because what you wanted was not something I was interested in.

I apologize if you took what I said with such a great offense but you also said a few things that upset me and offended me and you ultimately requested to no longer speak with me. But I'm not here on a public forum and discussing private matters and smearing your name or badmouthing you. It saddens me more now that you are doing this. I understand that it hurt and that the feelings were not mutual but it's life and we don't always get what we want.

Angie

For the record: Angie knows that she is not disclosing the full truth here, and she is obviously motivated to try to embarrass me publicly while appearing to be the model of decorum. In addition, it was her choice to post a "status update" that was clearly intended to insult me without naming me explicitly. That fact would be clear to anyone who saw the bizarre, fuming e-mail she sent me just prior to posting it.

I am way too much of a gentleman to say anything more. Since she will very likely be posting further veiled insults in response to this, please note this will be my last comment on the subject.

Dennis Hardin

it was her choice to post a "status update" that was clearly intended to insult me without naming me explicitly.

It wasn't clear to me. The whole thing's become a case of TMI. WTMI.

Phil, I am deeply sorry about your swan song, and subsequent life tribute/memorial service being hijacked, but that is the tabloid nature of public life. As juicy as this thread was all on its own, people are fickle and in the entertainment business we all know they just go from one thing to another.

And let's face it, in the news business, a story about walking off the set isn't going to hold a candle to something with even the slightest hint of torrid scandal to it. You should have seen this coming when the borderline personality disorder (and subsequent discussions about narcissism) came out. It was right there, practically by admission, for the informed reader to grok. Certainly, you've been doing this for years, and can read into the subplots. That article wasn't talking about you, old comrade-in-arms, no, no. Was the therapist doing self-therapy? Well, they do do that. They have to, and in this case it seems to have been at least intimated. It's just how how the subconscious works, Phil. This had next to nothing, really, to do with your failure to use the change-of-status feature, anymore than your refusal to use the quote function. Certainly not. No, you were a foil, Phil, and I'm digging that approximate aliteration, btw, OMG, tee-hee, LMAO. You were a Watson to an angry Holmes. Your retreat from the camera inadvertently made you a victim of callous circumstance. When Bruce Lee said "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity" he didn't mean just good luck, after all.

Now, I don't think it will ever spray all over like, say, embarrassingly-public failed online courtships. We have seen that, and hopefully the wheel will not be reinvented. Or even goofy discussions about what Atlas Shrugged has to do with bondage and spanking. No, this is about the subtle, O Master of Mannerliness. It will be delicately nuanced, finnessed. If I and your other admirers have anything to do with it, there will be no Polyanna antics here. To your minions, this place is a Monument to not only the Phil We Knew, but the Phil of the Future--we are loyal, we are many (well, like at least 3), and if we have to drink the Kool Aid, so be it. This is Sacred Ground<tm>--not a place for Victimology, nay, but for Phil-ology.

If you were back, you would provide the sonambulent, properly-pedantic words to dull this thing to a nub. But even while you are dwelling in That Great Lurking Place In The Sky, rest assured those of us still in the mortal coil are here, carrying on.

See, there are all kinds of "liking," Obi-Wan-Philnobi, and on some level I like you. Even our leader MSK has gone so far (hopefully not right after a meal) as saying that. And the proof is in the heart--I like you at least more than any who would bring sordid psychosexual drama onto Ground Coates.

Lurk now, in Peace.

rde

Edited by Rich Engle

Phil, I am deeply sorry about your swan song, and subsequent life tribute/memorial service being hijacked, but that is the tabloid nature of public life. As juicy as this thread was all on its own, people are fickle and in the entertainment business we all know they just go from one thing to another.

And let's face it, in the news business, a story about walking off the set isn't going to hold a candle to something with even the slightest hint of torrid scandal to it. You should have seen this coming when the borderline personality disorder (and subsequent discussions about narcissism) came out. It was right there, practically by admission, for the informed reader to grok. Certainly, you've been doing this for years, and can read into the subplots. That article wasn't talking about you, old comrade-in-arms, no, no. Was the therapist doing self-therapy? Well, they do do that. They have to, and in this case it seems to have been at least intimated. It's just how how the subconscious works, Phil. This had next to nothing, really, to do with your failure to use the change-of-status feature, anymore than your refusal to use the quote function. Certainly not. No, you were a foil, Phil, and I'm digging that approximate alliteration, btw, OMG, tee-hee, LMAO. You were a Watson to an angry Holmes. Your retreat from the camera inadvertently made you a victim of callous circumstance. When Bruce Lee said "Luck is when preparation meets timing" he didn't mean just good luck, after all.

Now, I don't think it will ever spray all over like, say, embarrassingly-public failed online courtships. We have seen that, and hopefully the wheel will not be reinvented. Or even goofy discussions about what Atlas Shrugged has to do with bondage and spanking. No, this is about the subtle, O Master of Mannerliness. It will be delicately nuanced, finnessed. If I and your other admirers have anything to do with it, there will be no Polyanna antics here. To your minions, this place is a Monument to not only the Phil We Knew, but the Phil of the Future--we are loyal, we are many (well, like at least 3), and if we have to drink the Kool Aid, so be it. This is Sacred Ground<tm>--not a place for Victomology, nay, but for Phil-ology.

If you were back, you would provide the sonambulent, properly-pedantic words to dull this thing to a nub. But even while you are dwelling in That Great Lurking Place In The Sky, rest assured those of us still in the mortal coil are here, carrying on.

See, there are all kinds of "liking," Obi-Wan-Phi-Kanobi, and on some level I like you. Even our leader MSK has gone so far (hopefully not right after a meal) of saying that. And the proof is in the heart--I like you at least more than any who would bring sordid psychosexual drama onto Ground Coates.

Lurk now, in Peace.

rde

Do you ever do anything besides personality?

"Do you ever do anything besides personality?"

Sure! I had to go back and edit that last one--I discovered it is hard to eat burritos, talk on the phone, and write about Phil all at once. So there are a couple of things right there.

But other than that, hardly anything else. Why would I? The next you know I'd be ordering from The Scooter Store and writing stuff that sounds like . . .well never mind who, but it would smell like a nursing home and we can't be having that.

Now never you mind me, if you're going to be here try to stay on topic--that being Phil and how his grave is being defaced by deranged sex maniacs.

rde

Edited by Rich Engle

"Do you ever do anything besides personality?"

Sure! I had to go back and edit that last one--I discovered it is hard to eat burritos, talk on the phone, and write about Phil all at once. So there are a couple of things right there.

But other than that, hardly anything else. Why would I? The next you know I'd be ordering from The Scooter Store and writing stuff that sounds like . . .well never mind who, but it would smell like a nursing home and we can't be having that.

Now never you mind me, if you're going to be here try to stay on topic--that being Phil and how his grave is being defaced by deranged sex maniacs.

rde

I didn't say you weren't funny.

I didn't say you weren't funny.

This is hardly the time for humor, now is it, Ted?

*sob*

I can't believe those two leaped right into his casket like that. Borderline Degenerate Necrophiliacs, they both are, I say. What's next? Stumping donkeys? Hamburger recipes?

These are the same kind who keep fouling up Jim Morrison's tombstone. I understand narcissism is complicated, I really do--some of my best friends are narcissists.

But can't we get back to the good old stories? Like, remember when Phil went insane for awhile and took on all comers over at SOLOP? He was a mad dog in a meat market.

rde

Good times. Good times.

Dennis H,

Rap?

Dayaamm!

You sure have a lot beneath the surface.

That's really cool.

Michael

Michael, you have no idea...

male_brain.gif

That is brilliant. Especially the Toilet Aiming cell.

Ba'al Chatzaf