Who will be on the GOP ticket in 2016?

Who will be the GOP's Presidential candidate?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Please select your best guess for the GOP ticket 2016

• Jeb Bush
    • Donald Trump
    • Carly Fiorina
    • Marco Rubio
    • Rick Santorum
    • Rick Perry
    • Bobby Jindal
    • Skip Andrews
    • Chris Christie
    • Lindsey Graham
    • Ben Carson
    • Ted Cruz
    • Mike Huckabee
    • John Kasich
    • George Pataki
    • Rand Paul
    • Scott Walker

There is a poll at the Other Place. Of a total of 10 votes, the consensus is ... not yet formed. Rand Paul currently garners 50%, but of course, those are small numbers and a restricted set.

Is there a consensus here at OL? Maybe not yet, but there are some strong opinions. So -- a poll to register your estimation or guess at who will lead the GOP campaign for President of the USA. You can delete and re-vote at any time if in fear of crows in your diet. If I have forgotten a candidate (I chose from this list), let me know and I will update.

(thanks to Adam Selene for the ground work. This poll could serve as the official Crow Pie Determinator)

Edited by william.scherk

Five Six members have registered their best guesses above. Almost enough to demonstrate Crow Epistemology.

Edited by william.scherk

Just to be clear -- is this asking for a prediction of what will happen? The other poll seems to be asking what the people want.

I don't want to weigh in if it does, because I don't feel I've even been alive long enough to have enough knowledge of practical politics -- to say nothing of being actually interested and paying attention.

Just to be clear -- is this asking for a prediction of what will happen? The other poll seems to be asking what the people want.

I don't want to weigh in if it does, because I don't feel I've even been alive long enough to have enough knowledge of practical politics -- to say nothing of being actually interested and paying attention.

Don't get interested. It took me a lifetime to find out it's all crap. Even Donald Trump is playing at it for his own angle. The others want to be President, I don't think he does. He's having all the fun his money and brashness can buy. Greg, here, has it mostly right about his own relationship to politics, although he's mostly wrong about many other things. Learn how to be an American but become a man of the world. If you're interested in business learn a foreign language for trade. Spanish takes 600 hours, Mandarin 2600. That's optional because English is the most important for starters.

The only way to make a difference in politics, unless you have a hell of a lot of money--if you don't someone with money will put you in his pocket if he thinks your exploitable--is local, depending on what your local is like to begin with.

The basic trap in politics is top-downism orientation. For instance, you or your man gets elected President and now you can make the world right. You or your man, however, might start World War III. And, after 30 years of devoting your life to achieving that achievement, you'll find that you've changed so much through growth and circumstances your young, today self, would hardly recognize you. He may admire what he sees or maybe not. Depends.

Regardless, so far you seem to have your head screwed on right about this subject. It's okay to be a political animal if that's your passion, but not--primarily--for freedom, justice and the American way (unless it's purely local and part-time).

--Brant

As Frank Skeffington explained in The Last Hurrah, "Politics is the greatest spectator sport in the world."

Like the novel, the film was based in part on the career of former Boston mayor James Michael Curley, and the unnamed New England city that he runs was based on Boston, Massachusetts.[3] Curley opposed the film's production, but not because of the negative dramatization; rather, he believed that The Last Hurrah might prevent Hollywood from making a biographical film of his life.[4] Curley sued the film's producers and received $42,000.[5]

The movie was budgeted at $2.5 million but came in at $200,000 under budget.[1]

Excellent movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Hurrah_%281958_film%29

Just an incredibly fascinating story. It's the same political milieu the Kennedys came out of. Unvarnished and blatant politics, especially for Curley who was more above-board corrupt. There was an queer innocence to his corruption compared to the Kennedys'. You had to feel for the SOB. Pure Irish-political Americana.

--Brant

The poll above is for 'guessing' the likely GOP presidential candidate. If you don't feel informed enough to guess, then you might not want to place your guess.

One background note is that these guesses will help to decide who eats crow (for making an incorrect guess) come next year in Cleveland.

One background note is that these guesses will help to decide who eats crow (for making an incorrect guess) come next year in Cleveland.

William,

The hell they will. The outcome will decide.

If Trump gets the nomination, you and Marc eat crow.

If he does not get the nomination, I eat crow.

This is not a matter swayable by vote, not even votes on OL.

:smile:

If you are just creating buzz, that's cool.

I see nothing wrong with increasing the audience to watch you and Marc dine on select specially-prepared corvus cuisine.

:)

Michael

The poll above is for 'guessing' the likely GOP presidential candidate. If you don't feel informed enough to guess, then you might not want to place your guess.

Nice try William ... lol - no "quick pitching" allowed.

Notice how he only gave our young friend Jp one path to think about which is the Republican Convention in Cleveland.

Now since William is basically in political lust with Evita, and Evita is also his personal dog, how apt, in the Democratic Presidential race, there is no reason to think that there is any doubt as to the ascendance into Sainthood by the harridan hoodlum from NY at the Democratic Convention in Philadelphia.

Gotta watch these Canadian progressives lol...

venus-fly-trap-smiley-emoticon-animation <<<<gotcha

William,

The hell they will. The outcome will decide.

Perhaps you are misunderstanding my note to David. He wondered what the poll above was for. It's for OLers to register their best guess at the eventual GOP presidential candidate, which candidacy will be decided next year in Cleveland -- at the Republican convention. Marc and I (and several others) have made our choices ... and 'officially' lodged them in the poll.

We are not then in disagreement that Marc and I will eat crow if our guesses are incorrect -- if they do not correspond with reality. Of course, there is a probability that a number of the extant GOP candidates will abandon their campaigns if they do not win delegates. Not everyone on the list above will be fighting at the convention. I do expect Trump to be at the convention, whether or not he wins state delegation representatives in each state primary contest.

If Trump gets the nomination, you and Marc eat crow.

If he does not get the nomination, I eat crow.

Exactly. That's why I gave David the wee backgrounder. You haven't yet singled out anyone beyond me and Marc for the feast.

This is not a matter swayable by vote, not even votes on OL.

If you are just creating buzz, that's cool.

I see nothing wrong with increasing the audience to watch you and Marc dine on select specially-prepared corvus cuisine.

Michael

Edited by william.scherk

Don't get interested. It took me a lifetime to find out it's all crap. Even Donald Trump is playing at it for his own angle. The others want to be President, I don't think he does. He's having all the fun his money and brashness can buy. Greg, here, has it mostly right about his own relationship to politics, although he's mostly wrong about many other things. Learn how to be an American but become a man of the world. If you're interested in business learn a foreign language for trade. Spanish takes 600 hours, Mandarin 2600. That's optional because English is the most important for starters.

The only way to make a difference in politics, unless you have a hell of a lot of money--if you don't someone with money will put you in his pocket if he thinks your exploitable--is local, depending on what your local is like to begin with.

The basic trap in politics is top-downism orientation. For instance, you or your man gets elected President and now you can make the world right. You or your man, however, might start World War III. And, after 30 years of devoting your life to achieving that achievement, you'll find that you've changed so much through growth and circumstances your young, today self, would hardly recognize you. He may admire what he sees or maybe not. Depends.

Regardless, so far you seem to have your head screwed on right about this subject. It's okay to be a political animal if that's your passion, but not--primarily--for freedom, justice and the American way (unless it's purely local and part-time).

--Brant

Lol, I'm mostly not. Seems like too much effort I could be expending elsewhere.

Nice try William ... lol - no "quick pitching" allowed.

Notice how he only gave our young friend Jp one path to think about which is the Republican Convention in Cleveland.

Now since William is basically in political lust with Evita, and Evita is also his personal dog, how apt, in the Democratic Presidential race, there is no reason to think that there is any doubt as to the ascendance into Sainthood by the harridan hoodlum from NY at the Democratic Convention in Philadelphia.

I'll be happy to work out and post a corollary poll for OL members -- listing the declared and probable candidates in the Democratic primaries. You just have to ask, or demand, Adam.

I should correct what you imagine is my lust for Hillary Clinton -- and your mistaken impression that she is my personal dog. It should have been clear in the various things I have written about her candidacy that I do not favour her. But thank you for not indulging in personal rancour.

Here are the collected William quotes on Hillary Clinton and the 2016 election. I am reasonably sure you will augment your intuition upon a re-read of the remarks. Or, perhaps you are a Greg-class psychic mind-reader and what I say means something other than what I say. Which would preclude any good faith discussion. In which case, I will leave the quotes for David to ponder.

From latest to the earliest ...

• (I abhor the dynastic weight of a Bush/Clinton inevitability) Link
  • I actually feel the most 'ick' at the prospect of a Bush-Clinton matchup Link
  • Brant, I think (I wish I were wrong) that Hillary Clinton will clinch the Democratic nomination. Link
  • Political topics certainly invite contempt. Who does not have contempt for the grotesqueries of an American political system that will spit up in the end -- after a billion and more dollars are expended -- two hoary old dynastic operators like Clinton and Bush? (that is my ballot prediction for 2016) Link
  • Clinton deserves harsh scrutiny and certainly invokes contempt from Republicans and Independents, and most certainly from the Objectivish-oriented here. She is everything politically repulsive and disgusting to an Objectivist or Randian. That contempt can be expressed by calling her ugly, a ratty vagina, a hag, a lesbian, a Marxist, a liar, a criminal, and so on. Link
  • Maybe all of us are captive to our expectations, and the expectations captive to our hopes. One hope might be that the crud from innumerable scandals will finally encumber the Clinton brand so much that Hillary will be rebuffed by her own disgusted party members. Link
  • I hope he does not win the GOP nod. I hope Hillary is somehow knocked back. Link
  • I will give you eleven paragraphs of closely argued Clinton commentary, under the loose rubric of "Why I think Hillary Clinton should not be elected President." Link
  • at this point in the pre-pre-campaign, I would predict a Clinton win. I'd rather she didn't, but there is something inexorable about her will. I might rather say "One chance at the ring per couple" but she has other notions. Link
  • I wish that Hillary Clinton had not entered the race. You will have missed that comment a few weeks back. MSK. I think she is too old and will be weighted by baggage in her term. I find the whole story of a spouse-of seeking the same office as the spouse to be a bit tainted, or at least the kind of unprincipled 'wife of' history already apparent in America -- Nellie Tayloe Ross, Ma Ferguson, Lurleen Wallace. I just don't think Clinton 'deserves' a run at the ring. She has amassed too many advantages that even if my Red-Hot Leftishism might get a warm glow at a Red in the White House, I would be more chagrined at the process. It will seem unfair at its root. (I have a similar reaction to Son-Of Justin Trudeau. I hate the name-advantage he holds, his coronation at the party election, his name advantage in our forthcoming federal election) Link

Sure sure, we have seen this act before.

Good cover story.

A...

Some of the GOP candidates are attempting to add punch and drama to their campaigns -- either ramping up the rhetoric against Donald Trump in an attempt to get some media coverage, like Rick Perry -- or staging stunts like Lindsey Graham. Here's Rand Paul's latest effort, from a week ago:

That is not the story of this race William.

Are you watching the behind the curtains names being floated in the other party's race?

A...

Are you watching the behind the curtains names being floated in the other party's race?

I don't get much time behind the curtains where the political operatives operate, if that's what you mean. I note there are more declared Democratic candidates than on the list above, but these names seem to me to be no-chancers:

• Howell Astor
  • Morrison Bonpasse
  • Jeff Boss
  • Harry Braun
  • Andy Caffrey
  • Willie Carter
  • Lloyd Kelso
  • Doug Shreffler
  • Michael Steinberg
  • Robby Wells
  • Willie Wilson
  • Brad Winslow

Do any of these folks make your political antennas jiggle?

[Edit: these names of declared candidates from 2016.democratic-candidates.org/ ]

Edited by william.scherk

I don't get much time behind the curtains where the political operatives operate, if that's what you mean. I note there are more declared Democratic candidates than on the list above, but these names seem to me to be no-chancers:

• Howell Astor
  • Morrison Bonpasse
  • Jeff Boss
  • Harry Braun
  • Andy Caffrey
  • Willie Carter
  • Lloyd Kelso
  • Doug Shreffler
  • Michael Steinberg
  • Robby Wells
  • Willie Wilson
  • Brad Winslow

Do any of these folks make your political antennas jiggle?

Classic...

Kerry

Gore

Biden

Warren

should be on your list.

A...

Biden was always on the Democratic list of choices I compiled (which names I took from ballotpedia.org), Adam. I no longer have the option to add any more names or update the list ... sorry for that. I answered your suggestion to add Lurch and Gore and Spencer Tracy and Jane Fonda ... here.

This OL poll and the other will roll on off the active content list and be buried and forgotten as time goes by. It probably only has one semi-useful function -- to mark out the Crow Eaters when the time comes ...

-- Brant, check out the 'Other Declared Candidates' section at Ballotpedia -- it has potted biographies linked to each name.

I don't understand the ins and outs of how a fringe candidate would get their actual names on either the primary or general election ballot (other than winning a nomination battle/coronation at the conventions). I suspect that few if any of the 'other declared' get anywhere near the November 2016 ballot -- but will be happy to correct that assumption should it be wrong. Who wants a ballot with a hundred fifty names on it?

Cruz is the only born-in-Canada in the races, as far as I know, but he has officially renounced his Canadian citizenship.

Edited by william.scherk

Ok, I was not aware that you could not change it.

And since I will not let my thread die as it will, by definition go through many changes.

Trump creates substantial problems for the Power Elite.

They can't bribe him.

My concern always was that they might be able to black mail him.

Apparently they can't.

No "fanatic" uncle in the basement, no dead hooker in the attic and no live boy in the bedroom closet.

A...

William, based on your standard of "declared candidates," you will definitely have to start a new poll.

I have to admit that I did not even have a clue that there were 520 + declared candidates of which there are 116 + Republicans.

They even have a Kenny Rodeo...ye ha ride dem cowgirls ...

http://www.fec.gov/fecviewer/CandidateCommitteeDetail.do?candidateCommitteeId=P60007887&tabIndex=3

Here is the list:

http://www.fec.gov/press/resources/2016presidential_form2nm.shtml

Here is Trumps three (3) pages...

http://www.fec.gov/fecviewer/CandidateCommitteeDetail.do?candidateCommitteeId=P80001571&tabIndex=3

A...

• 4 weeks later...

Here is as complete a list as makes any sense to folks...

I would add Gore, Coumo, Kerry...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/elections/2016-presidential-candidates.html

Jeb "let me walk that back" Bush is the "smart one?"

OK...

He sure ain't the public speaker one...

God awful presentations and he has quite a temper under that comatose face...

A...

there's fury under that facade Martha!