it begins...

moralist

Brant writes:

Slip slidin' away

Slip slidin' away

The closer you get to your disaster

The more it keeps slip slidin' away

I have nothing invested in this other than my own entertainment. :smile:

As obvious as they were, 2001 and 2008 didn't change any secularist's view... so 2015 doesn't change mine. :wink:

Here's just one little chart from Zerohedge that has nothing to do with my view.

The US is rolling over into recession again. Note the ratio of sales to inventories is the same as 2009, the worst year of the Recession.

wholesale%20trade%20gap%20record%20wide_

Greg

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob writes:

Define imminent.

Extremely likely this week.

Definitely this month.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. :wink:

Greg

Provide numbers as I have asked. Otherwise this is just hot air....

Investment dictionary

EPS:

"

DEFINITION of 'Earnings Per Share - EPS'

The portion of a company's profit allocated to each outstanding share of common stock. Earnings per share serves as an indicator of a company's profitability.

Calculated as:

eps.gif

When calculating, it is more accurate to use a weighted average number of shares outstanding over the reporting term, because the number of shares outstanding can change over time. However, data sources sometimes simplify the calculation by using the number of shares outstanding at the end of the period.

"

Bob writes:

Define imminent.

Extremely likely this week.

Definitely this month.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. :wink:

Greg

Provide numbers as I have asked. Otherwise this is just hot air....

Scientists need numbers--or it's not science.

--Brant

numbers? We don't need no stinkin' numbers!

https://youtu.be/e1lyNt5km8U

Jerry writes:

What exactly is supposed to happen? So there is no dispute about whether it happened. If it's an economic collapse, define 'economic collapse'.

In my opinion it will be the same as 2001 and 2008 only greater this time. America degenerated enough to forfeit it's moral protection and economic providence in 2001. Right now it's fair game to get rattled again. This time it'll be right down to its foundations.

Greg

I predict that next month (October) on this thread there will be a dispute about whether it happened. Unless people refrain from disputing in order to prove my prediction wrong.

Come November we can all sit around joking about Objectivistliving very own Cassandra.

Brant writes:

Brant, there are numbers on BOTH of those charts clearly indicating conditions NOT SEEN since 2009. Makes me wonder if Bob can actually read numbers. The real trouble is that he can't remember what happened in 2009 so he thinks everything will always be just fine because he can't remember when it wasn't.

The reality of just those two charts (there are lots more) fly in the face of his fantasy.

Nassim Taleb tells a story about people like Bob. He's the turkey that lives 1,000 days believing that everything will continue just like it has...

...until it gets slaughtered on the 1,001st day. :laugh:

Greg

Brant writes:

Brant, there are numbers on BOTH of those charts clearly indicating conditions NOT SEEN since 2009. Makes me wonder if Bob can actually read numbers. The real trouble is that he can't remember what happened in 2009 so he thinks everything will always be just fine because he can't remember when it wasn't.

The reality of just those two charts (there are lots more) fly in the face of his fantasy.

Nassim Taleb tells a story about people like Bob. He's the turkey that lives 1,000 days believing that everything will continue just like it has...

...until it gets slaughtered on the 1,001st day. :laugh:

Greg

Oh. I didn't go back to the original.

--Brant

my bad

Oh look, the number of home owners was at its peak in 2008... Some 70% were homeowners, only about 20% should have been. When the housing bubble popped it gutted the middle class, many saw their home values going up up up.. So what did they do? Borrowed equity for another car, another boat, another staycation...

You make it sound like renting is a bad thing. It is not. A renter has no property taxes, a renter doesn't have to fix the plumbing, re shingle a roof or any of the other myriad maintenance issues home ownership entails.

If a renter has better employment opportunities elsewhere he doesn't have to wait to sell a house before moving to take advantage of that. A renter is mobile.

A renter can be liquid. Nothing sucks more than owing a pile of money on an illiquid asset that is shrinking in value when times get tough. Contrary to what grandma told you houses do not always go up in value.

Jules writes:Oh look, the number of home owners was at its peak in 2008... Some 70% were homeowners, only about 20% should have been. When the housing bubble popped it gutted the middle class, many saw their home values going up up up.. So what did they do? Borrowed equity for another car, another boat, another staycation...
That behavior is the result of Creditism... which is the belief in the lie that debt is capital.
You make it sound like renting is a bad thing. It is not.
I agree, Jules. It isn't. I was a renter until I was 50 years old. I was only demonstrating that higher numbers of renters indicate a stressed economy which hasn't really recovered.
A renter has no property taxes,
Renters pay for the property taxes of the landlords.
a renter doesn't have to fix the plumbing, re shingle a roof or any of the other myriad maintenance issues home ownership entails.
The money paid to landlords by renters cover the costs of maintenance and repairs.Greg

That depends. Especially in condos. Many times the realtors push how hot a condo is, some silly people buy into it. When the condo is completed often only 20-30% of them sold. Let's use an arbitrary number where the "owners" are paying 1100/month plus condo fees of 400/month. The condo fees are not enough to finance future upgrades. What happens? They rent out the unsold units for 1200/month. The "owners" get screwed over and pay more for the honor of "owning"....

Yeah, I know about condos...

I was a HOA President for a couple of years, and oversaw 400+ units. It was a successful project with 100% of the phases sold. Only 5% of the owners rented out their units, and they were typically the ones experiencing issues.

In Capitalism, there are no guarantees and always successes and failures.

Greg

I prefer my own home to the landlord feeling he has the right to come up the driveway and into my privacy at will. It's psychological. Most economic/psychological calculations favor renting, especially if you're carrying a mortgage. The renter should understand the landlord is working for him. Make sure he does a good job for you or rent elsewhere. You write a monthly check. He writes all kinds of checks. Anything breaks he fixes or replaces. Etc.

--Brant

Brant writes:

The renter should understand the landlord is working for him.

I see that from the opposite side. When I was a renter I regarded myself as a guest in the landlord's home and took good care of it as if it was my own. This is the Biblical moral principle of being a good steward with that which belongs to others. Just one blessing from upholding the trust of others is our landlords are our good friends and we enjoy frequent Poker Nights with them. :smile:

Greg

Not going to happen. It's only going to be faux lower class already eating at the lower middle class table (food stamps, housing, etc.) demanding the Obama phones be replaced by smart phones. It's the Russian sleigh-ride economy tossing out benefits. This doesn't mean some shit-head won't key your new car in the supermarket parking lot.

--Brant

the politicians are trying to deflect envy so they sponsor and sanction the current spate of inequality media crap getting it ripe for the presidential year's campaigning numero uno issue when they should be that issue

That phony site had phony advertising and stories. My site monitor warned me and blocked all the viruses abounding there, (I hope.) One lead to a story saying Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps had a transgender boy friend but when I said WTF and clicked on it, the word alleged popped up. Lying bastards. Any crap to make a buck. Phelps should sue them.

That phony site had phony advertising and stories. My site monitor warned me and blocked all the viruses abounding there, (I hope.) One lead to a story saying Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps had a transgender boy friend but when I said WTF and clicked on it, the word alleged popped up. Lying bastards. Any crap to make a buck. Phelps should sue them.

What are you talking about Peter? Did you post something on the wrong thread again? It's hard to keep up with your haphazard thoughtless mistakes...