All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. You seem to be yearning for a world that isn't there and never was there--where what's on the ostensible surface matches what's below. --Brant
  3. Yesterday
  4. the neckbone commonly broken by hanging wasn't the neckbone that was broken indicating he may have been strangled. --Brant
  5. If Epstein were murdered, with the stage subsequently set to make it look like a suicide by hanging, the perpetrators would have made it appear it was an accidental hanging, specifically a case of auto-erotic asphyxiation. Because reasons. But they didn’t, so it wasn’t a murder. QED. Moron or lunatic? http://sorbusaucuparius.blogspot.com/2012/08/umberto-ecos-four-types-of-idiot.html Hint: no reference (above) to the Templars. But seriously, if evidence of a struggle emerges, such as injuries to the hands, fingernails etc, then the probability space will have to be reallocated. Jeffrey Dahmer and John Geoghan were murdered in prison, but neither death was confused with suicide. As it is, suicide is the most likely explanation for the facts we have.
  6. Recursion comes on its own schedule: Tyndall mentions on OL. Re-reading earlier commentary might indicate an avenue toward basic agreements, or agreed basics or agreement on key 'findings.' Much of the superstructure of climatology rests on atmospheric chemistry/radiative physics ... Tyndall was one of the handful of pioneering inquirers who 'cracked the code' or demonstrated physical explanations for how the Earth maintained its "radiative budget" ... Bob has intelligently laid out this platform of 'findings' several times. I recommend a kind of 'foundational' question posed to self: "Is there an agreed-up set of 'findings'" even for folks who may disagree mightily on entailments. Or 'Did Tyndall "get it right"?' ... ************************** Or, forty-six minutes of seemingly alarmed coverage of the Arctic summer 2019. In a nutshell, some dramatic pronouncements. Is a "Tyndall gases effect" in part responsible for the amplification and other recently-observed phenomena? I am otherwise lazy enough to plug in the link via Twitter. The first is my pinned tweet and below that is a link to the WBUR 46min rant-etcetera. Tiresome Weart reading-suggestion #34:
  7. https://images.app.goo.gl/mcu6uuSnxqmcAvJ1A
  8. And? When do we get the part where my questions are answered? How about you just skip ahead to that part? Heh. No? Still not able to answer the questions, so you're back to the game of posing as professor who is going to instruct the rubes about everything except the questions they've asked? Rather pathetic, Billy. J
  9. Palm trees. Hawaiian like nights. I can dig it. Though I do appreciate Air conditioning. Here it is going to be in the 90's for a few days with high humidity. Last night it was 77 with 96 percent humidity around 10pm and it felt like 100. I Cranked the AC down to 62 and slept with a sheet and two light blankets. Around 3 I must have pulled a quilt over me but by 4am I remember pulling it off and sweating between my . . . er. forget that. Here is a stupefying question. Could, would humans prefer living without heat or AC? I could live without heat, and dress like a Brit, and have a goose down bed with quilts, but I would hate living without AC. This message was brought to you by Trogolytes United.
  10. I just tried the Genius level again and I led for 7 moves. The problem is the length of time it takes for the Genius program to make a move. At a minimum it must be 20 to 30 seconds and that is boring, like playing Scrabble or Crazy 8’s with a child except I will always badly lose. I just tried Speed Scrabble at the Genius level and it still took 25 seconds and was beating me after two moves. Boring! Peter
  11. I am still playing at the "Smart" level of computer chess. After all these years, if I go up one level, the game is less fun. I do memorize new words played by Smart, and if I am playing for vocabulary building I will play the Genius level but I always lose.
  12. Background. I like to play computer Scrabble, the one endorsed by the National Scrabble Assoc. The music on another variety is nice (Scrabble Complete?) but I like the playing field on this one. I have wondered about other variations such as 3-D Chess or if you could make two words on the same play in two different spots, what would that be like? I can see that the games might be shorter and at least the winner’s score higher. Different strategies would need to be developed. I remember that as a kid I once kept the blank tiles from an old game and added them to the new. That was actually a better game to me. As an adult I once added old Z’s X’s and Q’s, and then more vowels. The board got clogged and no new moves were available very quickly. I needed to go through the letter bag and get rid of the extra letters. Peter 3D Chess. Movement of pieces is similar to that of traditional chess. The main difference is that, in the course of a move, pieces may move up or down any number of levels. According to the Star Fleet Technical Manual, the starting positions of King and Queen pieces are on their own respective attack boards with their own set of Rooks and Pawns. Knights, Bishops, and the remaining Pawns occupy the first two ranks of each color's fixed boards. . . . What are the rules of 3D chess? RULES OF 3D CHESS. If a pawn reaches the rank furthest at the opponent side, it is promoted to Queen, Rook, Knight or Bishop. It cannot become a King or a pawn. The player has no legal move to do while his king is not in check. This is stalemate and the game is drawn. - Players agree on the draw during the game.
  13. Rush and Cortez equivalence? Consider the HARD left and RIGHT. What would conservatives censor? Sexual scenes and communist propaganda. What would Progressives censor? Everything, but in a more intelligent, clandestine way. Who would conservatives jail? Homo's? and traitors. Who would the hard left jail? Fill in the blanks.
  14. Hawking and others consider Artificial Intelligence as a big threat to *life*. Rather than being ambulatory it may be able to travel the phone lines and satellite links. If AI was to acquire a desire for continued existence it would still need humans, at least for now, to do maintenance on its means of *travel.*
  15. “We're standing outside of a stadium trying to catch, or guess, the score by virtue of the sound of the crowd. ” What a great metaphor, and it reminds me of another echoing, “blindsided emotion”: Watching a favorite team winning by a huge margin and turning the channel. Then you confidently flip back to see the final score and the announcer is stunned as he says, “I have never seen such a comeback in my life. Washington was down by four touchdowns going into the 4th. . . and Dallas has lost, lost, lost, lost.“
  16. I think “Tai-Pan” is one of my favorite novels of all time and of course “King Rat” is one of my favorite movies. Reading the novel “King Rat” was riveting. I could not put it down. Emotional highs and lows abound in the novel. I remember discussing it with my Dad who made a career in the U.S. Navy. Peter Notes. James Clavell (born Charles Edmund Dumaresq Clavell, 10 October 1921 – 6 September 1994), was an Australian (and later naturalized American) novelist, screenwriter, director, and World War II veteran and prisoner of war. Clavell is best known as the author of his Asian Saga novels, a number of which have had television adaptations. Clavell also authored such screenplays as those for The Fly (1958) (based on the short story by George Langelaan) and The Great Escape (1963) (based on the personal account of Paul Brickhill) . . . . He wrote Watusi (1959) for director Kurt Neumann, who had also made The Fly . . . . In 1960 the Writers Guild went on strike, meaning Clavell was unable to work. He decided to write a novel, King Rat, based on his time at Changi. It took him three months and several more months after that to rework it. The book was published in 1962 and sold well. It was turned into a film in 1965. In 1961, Clavell announced he had formed his own company, Cee Productions, who would make the films King Rat, White Alice and No Hands on the Clock. In 1962 he signed a multi picture contract with a Canadian company to produce and direct two films there, Circle of Greed and The Sweet and the Bitter.[13] Only the second was made and it was not released until 1967. He wrote scripts for the war films The Great Escape (1963) and 633 Squadron (1964). He wrote a short story, "The Children's Story" (1964) and the script for The Satan Bug (1965), directed by John Sturges who had made The Great Escape. He also wrote Richard Sahib for Sturges which was never made . . . . Novels The Asian Saga consists of seven novels: King Rat (1962), set in a Japanese POW camp in Singapore in 1945. Tai-Pan (1966), set in Hong Kong in 1841. Shōgun (1975), set Japan from 1600 onwards Noble House (1981), set in Hong Kong in 1963 Whirlwind (1986), set in Iran in 1979. Gai-Jin (1993), set in Japan in 1862 .
  17. I think it's highly unlikely that any sophisticated form of life that is not carbon based can evolve anywhere in the universe. It's the carbon chemistry that is at the basis of the enormously complex and sophisticated machinery that makes such life possible.
  18. I wrote "Our rather cramped and biased point of view cannot give us any idea of what life would be like in a place where carbon based life has evolved. " edit that to becom e "Our rather cramped and biased point of view cannot give us any idea of what life would be like in a place where carbon based life has NOT evolved. "
  19. For some damn reason, the following portrait is being shown all over the web together with the Clinton portrait in the opening post. I haven't thought through the commonalities deep enough to understand why this is so funny, but it is. Dayaamm! Michael
  20. That old question - replied to by your objective solution - has always looked to be question begging - i.e. What is "good"? For whom? I think it must be rephrased and fleshed out in terms most secular humanists tacitly mean it, but seldom say outright: "How can people be made to hold other people as their moral standard--without God and the immortal soul?" The secularists have not succeeded and will not, as long as "the good" equates with "the other". Seeing that even the brightest skeptical intellectuals accept without question the altruist ethics, and worse (as with Sam Harris), have argued to dispose of free will and the "self" (with the 'Soul') -- "moral truths" will NOT "be learned through reason" by them. We have to query what "reason" is for them. What next was left for the secularists is find the substitute for "God" . Political power, force, and social 'judgment', their solution.
  21. Last week
  22. Just in case people get turned off at the beginning of the video by a kind of stupid "big idea" claim Skelter made, here's how I understand it. Adam Skelter is a storyteller, one who works in Hollywood. Part of his training is to appeal to the lizard brain (fight-flight, sex, curiosity, and so on). This video is nonfiction, so I believe he is using the same approach as a storyteller. You have to get people's attention before they will allow themselves to get into the story. In the case of nonfiction, you have to get people's attention before they will even listen to what comes next. One of the ways to do this (and this is a taught technique in copywriting) is to present a controversial challenge. So when Skelter dramatically says "Everyone is religious, including you," he is trying to prompt curiosity through a controversial challenge, at least I believe that is what he is trying to do. But he flops. The problem is that boilerplate Christian sermons talk about how people think they don't believe in God, but really do, etc., etc., etc. This is so old, nobody cares. It's like a used car salesman routine, a template around an artificial claim with presuppositions about the customer to attract the suckers and weed out everyone else. It does not stir the juices except those of the converted or the suckers. Substance-wise, once you see the video, you realize converting unbelievers in the name of Christianity, or any other religion for that matter, is not what Skelter is about. He is about redefining religion as a thinking pattern in general that evolved (i.e., an epistemological issue). But by then, he has turned off a good portion of his audience. I attribute this error more to blindly following a copywriting template rather than anything else. The next bad thing he does is tell you how you are going to think by the end of the video. I can almost see him trying to include NLP embedded commands in his copy, but once again, he misses something critical. When you tell someone openly that they are wrong, this hits a fundamental cognitive bias squarely in the sore spot and turns on a listener's defense mechanisms like an on-off switch. After that lousy opening, the video starts becoming very, very interesting. If you can ignore the parts about religion per se and focus on the epistemological patterns he covers, especially about the nature of beliefs, etc., you will find an outside-the-box approach that you might not be familiar with, one with great value in identifying why many intelligent people believe in things that are nonsensical to other intelligent people. Michael
  23. Words of wisdom from Lionel. What really happened based on what the public has seen? The public hasn't seen anything other than what gatekeepers tell us. Lionel says: Remember, Lionel not only like conspiracy theories, he loves conspiracy theorists. He actually loves them (as do I). He just calls on people to keep observable facts as opposed to dot-connecting separate in their rhetoric. Michael
  24. Ah. I can see that. There are two shows, yes...THE BIG BANG THEORY and YOUNG SHELDON, which is the spinoff. BBT is (was, just ended) set circa 2007 to present.
  1. Load more activity