Been Here Before?: Truman D. S.

anthony

21 hours ago, Peter said:

That is good. Trump is the new Truman. Their philosophy of government overlaps and their personal styles have similarities. Both men are "doers." 

Peter, The large part of your President's appeal to some of us is of a "doer" (while admitting he doesn't keep quiet too) - as distinct from the highly stylish, suave and attractive talker you used to have. Tangible, lasting results matter most, and to me there's been too long an imbalance of superficial style above substance in every sphere, not just politics. (So long, that people maybe have come to see some sort of 'substance' in 'stylishness' - a showy and often hypocritical display, over real character content). Like Rand on another subject not detached from politics - aesthetics - I'm a believer the "how" can never supplant the "what".

2 hours ago, anthony said:

Peter, The large part of your President's appeal to some of us is of a "doer" (while admitting he doesn't keep quiet too) - as distinct from the highly stylish, suave and attractive talker you used to have. Tangible, lasting results matter most, and to me there's been too long an imbalance of superficial style above substance in every sphere, not just politics. (So long, that people maybe have come to see some sort of 'substance' in 'stylishness' - a showy and often hypocritical display, over real character content). Like Rand on another subject not detached from politics - aesthetics - I'm a believer the "how" can never supplant the "what".

Debra J. Saunders. Washington -- President Donald Trump has the White House running on fast forward. He is pushing the once crusty and creaky foreign policy apparatus to move at the speed of Twitter. Is Trump's at-a-blur pace for better or worse?

Consider Trump's action-packed Thursday. At 3 a.m., the president and first lady shared a triumph at Joint Base Andrews as they greeted three buoyant American prisoners released by the North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in advance of June's big meeting between Trump and Kim.

"This is a wonderful thing that he (Kim) released the folks early. That was a very big thing," Trump exclaimed. Fast is good. Hours later, Trump tweeted more big news: "The highly anticipated meeting between Kim Jong Un and myself will take place in Singapore on June 12th. We will both try to make it a very special moment for World Peace!"

That's right. Trump scheduled a summit that leaves his national security staff and the hollowed-out State Department bureaucracy about a month to prepare for complicated negotiations involving highly technical issues. It would have been nice if Trump were this quick at filling vacant positions in Foggy Bottom. Did he schedule the summit too fast?

"Yes," answered Ty Cobb, a foreign policy adviser to President Ronald Reagan now with the National Security Forum. In Cobb's experience, summits follow extensive preparation over minute details -- all resolved before a summit begins, so that the summit itself is simply a ceremony. Trump is leapfrogging over the usual order . . . .