Ackley's career path took him from entry level to president

Robert_Bumbalough

I love these types of stories of human success and achievement; there's plenty of other cool stuff in the current edition of Plastics News.  I exclaim, I love capitalism.  

Bonita Springs, Fla. — Robert Ackley walked into Davis-Standard at age 17. Forty-six years later, he walked out as the president.

"It's the American dream," he said. "I don't know if anybody does that anymore. Who goes to work for a company for their lifetime now?"

It does sound old-fashioned. Ackley's story has an element of Horatio Alger. He was loyal. He worked hard. He dedicated his life to one company, going to school at night to chip away and earn two college degrees.

"I went to school nights for 20 years to get more education," he said.

Along the way, Ackley led Davis-Standard as the company diversified from a maker of machines to coat wire and cable, into a broad-line and global manufacturer of equipment, including extruders, blow molding machines, sheet lines, foam extrusion and extrusion coating and laminating lines.

Now he is going into the Plastics Hall of Fame. ..... 

http://www.plasticsnews.com/article/20180430/NEWS/180439992/ackleys-career-path-took-him-from-entry-level-to-president

• Like 1

I love the smell of productivity in the mornings.

---------------------------

A.B. Beverage Racks Up Productivity: Kudos to Doug Varadore V.P. & G.M. 

By  · 

What do you get when you combine a warehouse redesign with a new rack system, voice recognition technology and a warehouse management system (WMS)? If you’re A.B. Beverage, a beer, wine and spirits distributor near Augusta, Ga., the answer is: a lot. The distributor saw a nearly 45% increase in picking productivity, from 225 to 330 cases per hour, along with better utilization of warehouse space to accommodate the increasing number of SKUs in the craft beer industry—the fastest-growing segment of the distributor’s business.

“Before this project, we were operating three shifts per day, had people working overtime and we still could barely get trucks built to leave on time in the morning,” says Doug Varnadore, vice president and general manager ofA.B. Beverage, which has been in the same family since the end of prohibition. “We’re now able to get our work done on two shifts, and we rarely have overtime.”

https://www.mmh.com/article/warehouse_system_report_a.b._beverage_racks_up_productivity

Pow. Bada-Bing-Bada-Boom. Bola-Bola.  Being productive. Yeah! Baby!

New lumber vendor set up. First order about to be placed.

Crate it. Ship it. 

Call Dagney and set me up a box car on the siding spur line out back. Gotta love Taggert Transcontinental!