Aristotle's wheel paradox

merjet

15 hours ago, jts said:

What does anyone hope to accomplish by continuing this "wheel paradox" discussion so long? Do you all have nothing better to do or discuss?

Testing Merlin's skull's durability is an important part of it. He's vying for hardest, thickest, densest, most-durable skull ever. And, remember, he's doing so in O-land, where the competition is much fiercer than elsewhere. We can't just hand him the trophy after a few pages of our trying to bore through. Old pros like Tony or Phil Coates or Newberry had skulls which withstood hundreds of pages of reality. But, don't worry, I'm confident that Merlin can beat all of their records.

All he has to do is borrow a front wheel from a bicycle, they come off with the flick of the finger, no tools.

Next, adhere a smaller “wheel” to the bike wheel, a plastic lid, as in my videos, works great.

Next, tape a piece a string spanned across a doorway, or up against a wall. That’s the small “wheel”s road.

Finally, roll the wheel,on the floor.

You will clearly see that the smaller “wheel” skids along its road.

Anyone who still doesn’t understand what Max, Jonathan, myself, JTS, Bob, and others are saying, please stop trying and just construct it. It took me ten minutes.

39 minutes ago, Jon Letendre said:

All he has to do is borrow a front wheel from a bicycle, they come off with the flick of the finger, no tools.

Next, adhere a smaller “wheel” to the bike wheel, a plastic lid, as in my videos, works great.

Next, tape a piece a string spanned across a doorway, or up against a wall. That’s the small “wheel”s road.

Finally, roll the wheel,on the floor.

You will clearly see that the smaller “wheel” skids along its road.

Anyone who still doesn’t understand what Max, Jonathan, myself, JTS, Bob, and others are saying, please stop trying and just construct it. It took me ten minutes.

We've already been there a few times. Merlin's response will be the same as it was in the past: He's not going to fall for your scam of presenting optical illusions! He's not going to waste his time following your con man instructions on how to build your optical illusion himself!

Plus, he prefers the duct tape scenario rather than the wheel one because he can't see the slippage when it's duct tape -- he doesn't want to see it or believe that it is there, so the tape roll helps him to deny reality more convincingly.

You are probably right.

lets keep talking wheels, though.

Here I am at High Plains Raceway, turn 11 compilation.

Rear-facing GoPro video taken on my 1986 Honda VFR750F.

Turn 11 is climbing, which assists traction, which is why I am rolling the throttle back on pretty much upon reaching full lean.

(A falling turn is the opposite, the road keeps “falling away,” your suspension is extended, the tires experience reduced downward force and therefore traction, and much less aggressive throttle roll-on would be called for.)

That’s a very real dream of mine.

I live nearby and get to run Pikes Peak to my heart’s content, but only with the driving public and I have to stay on my side of road, don’t get caught etc. (at many points I’m travelling at 4-times the speed limit.) I don’t want to hurt anyone, so I’m forced to slow down a little. Unless policy changes, I will never get to run Pikes closed, like they do for the race.

But Isle of Man is different. My understanding is that it prohibits cars and opens to the motorcycling public the week before the race, no speed limit, you can have at it...

12 hours ago, Jon Letendre said:

That’s a very real dream of mine.

I live nearby and get to run Pikes Peak to my heart’s content, but only with the driving public and I have to stay on my side of road, don’t get caught etc. (at many points I’m travelling at 4-times the speed limit.) I don’t want to hurt anyone, so I’m forced to slow down a little. Unless policy changes, I will never get to run Pikes closed, like they do for the race.

But Isle of Man is different. My understanding is that it prohibits cars and opens to the motorcycling public the week before the race, no speed limit, you can have at it...

They do close it for a week, but most of that time is dedicated to racers' practice. My understanding is that the only time open for general public is Mad Sunday, which is crowded as hell. No matter, because I'd be scared shitless at half the speed of a Dunlop or McGuiness. Ive never been, but I'd love to see the event in person. I hear the word "cycle" and the TT is what pops into mind.

Oh, well, that’s not as good as I thought. Maybe it is better to just go sometime off-season and enjoy it the way I do Pikes. I don’t have much interest in standing and watching , TV does a better job.

Speaking of “half the speed I have been meaning to pull my videos together and make my best compilation run of Pikes to see whether I am half as fast as Guy Martin. That is, I have run up on my VFR750, my CBR600 and my RC390. Each run has flaws like traffic that forces me to slow, but I can use a portion of a run without that slowdown. It’s unfair in that I get to cut and paste my best portions, but it is fair because Guy didn’t face any traffic, and he got the whole road width to himself. Sometimes when I mention Guy’s Pikes run while talking about mine, someone will say, “Jon, please, you’re not half as fast as Guy Martin,” and I think to myself, “gosh, I wasn’t saying I am, but, what if I could?”

Guy also has the advantage of soft barriers/bales/berms, and the removal of track-side hazards like sign and fence posts in wipe-out-prone areas. He knows through experience how much farther he can push it due to having done a lot of trial and error in that protected environment.

• 2 months later...
On 2/8/2018 at 8:02 AM, Jonathan said:

I'm looking forward to it. 

I have been working hard on the video project. I barely have any iMovie editing skills, so it is slow going. Short update on the Guy Martin comparison: I will have to restrict myself for now to the lower half, that is, start to brake check. I have the footage for that, and it is coming along.

I don’t have enough footage above the brake, missing lots. I have it, but I mean going fast, not in traffic. Making it even harder is they stop you because it is more dangerous up there. I do have some footage from above the brake check, though. I thought I would post it.

This was last summer just days before the official race, so hay bales are in place. I’m on my 1987 HONDA CBR600F HURRICANE. I left the house before sunrise and got wet on the trip to Pikes. I got rained on all the way to the brake check. Then I spent over an hour there sitting comfortably, drying off, drinking hot cocoa and listening and watching. I could see that the cones were still lined up outside and people were still sounding dejected when they came into the building. “They don’t know when ?” said the voices, so I knew the road past the check was not opening soon. When the voices eventually spoke of “soon maybe” I put my backpack back on, went outside, put my helmet on and sat on my bike. There was no one around who looked interested in going fast, so I proceeded to cut the entire line and go up as the cones were being taken away.

There is a false neutral at 2:50. Easier on the nerves than downhill.

I am forced over the yellows at 3:13 by a gust of wind.

In the fog at the turn-around, he is saying that I can park in the lot and wait, or go back down. I went all the way back down to start and ran up the mountain again. I made several runs from start to peak that day.

The three Harley guys in my way when I cheat the line are passed on my way down at 8:16. I’m waving, they’re waving - all good.

• 2 months later...
On 4/17/2018 at 11:17 AM, Jonathan said:

So cool! Thanks for posting the vid and pix.

J

New toy.

2004 Honda Racing Corp RVT1000R “RC51” Nicky Hayden Edition.

Unless I die getting there, or get cuffed half way up, in twelve hours we will be three miles high, atop Pikes Peak.

35520459_193765151342597_244836341580300