Galt Motor=agraviational

6 hours ago, atlashead said:

The idea is to remove the higg's particle from an electron or something, then trap it in a torus or wire.  I wish I had physic in my heart, but it is another calling that calls my name. It just breaks my heart I may never see the stars...

Reducing mass to zero will not  eliminate gravitation which is a ---- property of the space time manifold itself ----.  A particle of zero rest mass will like the photon move along at the speed of light. 

I regard any notion that the electron which is coupled to the Higgs field can be decoupled (i.e. acquire zero rest mass)  with a great deal of skepticism.  I won't believed such a thing until it has been verified experimentally several times by several independent parties.  Such an effect could collide with conservation momentum and energy (I am not sure.  If I had the mathematical cojones I needed to check out a "zero mass electron"   that is the first thing I would check).  I simply would not believe that a basic conservation law which relates to the inherent symmetry of the Cosmos can be busted by any physical action short of a new Big Bang,  without a lot of experimental corroboration.   Extraordinary events and effects require extraordinary evidence. 

J.P.S. Haldane  once said that the Universe is not only stranger  than we know,  it is stranger than we -can- know. I think humans will discover things in the course of their investigation that are unbelievable on their face  and  close to magic.   Arthur C. Clarke once pointed out that a sufficiently advanced technology would appear to us  as magic and miraculous.   If we advance our technology sufficiently we will discover things that will boggle our wits  and  make us very unsure of what we -really- know.  That is how humankind  advances its knowledge. 

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:57 PM, atlashead said:

A=A

Amen.

Ba’al wrote, “A particle of zero rest mass will like the photon mov(ing?) along at the speed of light.”

I don’t deny that vacuum (space) is moving closer or away from other units of mass and also expanding, in relation to the origination point (the Big Bang). But are you saying zero mass necessarily implies the speed of light? Or are you that something with zero mass can only be a photon?

A good scifi plot detail would be if we could somehow negate mass to zero and our consciousness’s still continue to exist, then we could travel at the speed of light. Probably not good science because the existence of consciousness requires electro-chemical processes and that means mass.      

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Amen.

Ba’al wrote, “A particle of zero rest mass will like the photon mov(ing?) along at the speed of light.”

I don’t deny that vacuum (space) is moving closer or away from other units of mass and also expanding, in relation to the origination point (the Big Bang). But are you saying zero mass necessarily implies the speed of light? Or are you that something with zero mass can only be a photon?

A good scifi plot detail would be if we could somehow negate mass to zero and our consciousness’s still continue to exist, then we could travel at the speed of light. Probably not good science because the existence of consciousness requires electro-chemical processes and that means mass.      

Any particle with zero rest mass will move at light speed in a vacuum.  Mass is conserved unless converted to energy which can happen by pair anihilation,  or mass conversion do to fusion or fission. The total sum of mass and energy in the universe is conserved. 

19 hours ago, Peter said:

Amen.

There are other particles beside the photon that has zero mass.  Please see:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massless_particle