Perfesser M. T. Head and his student Stu Pid

jts

How accurate is the following story as a description of what happens in the philosophy department in universities?

<begin story>

Perfesser M. T. Head teaches filosofy at Ivory Tower University. His favorite student is Stu Pid. Under the tutorship of perf. M. T. Head, Stu Pid learned the following items of wisdom:

metaphysics:  There ain't no such thing as reality.

epistemology:  We can't know anything.

ethics:  There are no values.

After mastering these items of wisdom, Stu Pid was awarded a doctorate degree in filosofy. To achieve this doctorate degree he studied full time for some of the best years of his life and spent $200,000 of borrowed money that he has to pay back with interest. But he is okay with that because he believes the education he got from Ivory Tower University under the tutorship of perf. M. T. Head prepared him very well to meet the challenges of life and he expects to live a very good life.

<end story>

Do I have that right?

That sounds about right. I encountered a few philosophy students and perfessors in my time in college especially after I was in the Army. I took a summer course in Libertarianism of all things and it was good but I got the most flak from non Randian libertarians.

I received a degree in English and then another one in Secondary Education, grades 5 to 12 but hardly pursued it after finding out I did not like teaching. Who knew? My brother had taught history for years coached JV and then assistant coaching in Varsity football and liked it, but then he surprisingly got the job of Athletic Director (A.I. Dupont District near Wilmington?) and discovered the wonderful world of dirty politics and angry parents. I think he lasted for two years.  

I also studied with some wonderful professors.

I remember one course (philosophy in literature?) which was quite good, but when I mentioned Rand two long haired, skinny leftists had a conniption fit. However, the Professor, a woman, (who was quite stunning with long dark hair) silenced them.

And I met a few professors in literature who were card carrying members of the progressive party. But then again I had an excellent Professor who specialized in 1800 century English Literature but once taught a course in SciFi novels too. Ingenious! He was an unofficial mentor and he was disappointed that I did not pursue an advanced degree in his field.

Then there was a young Anthropology Professor Laid (spelling?) who taught about early man and had done some good studies in Germany and France. After I took a course from him he traveled to do digs in southern Africa, caught a virus and died. Horrible. What a waste.

Peter     

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Then there was a young Anthropology Professor Laid (spelling?) who taught about early man and had done some good studies in Germany and France. After I took a course from him he traveled to do digs in southern Africa, caught a virus and died. Horrible. What a waste.

Peter     

Going to Africa to do his research was not a waste of time and effort for him. He needed to go to pursue his research.   Getting sick and dying there was just plain bad luck.  No wasteful behavior in this sequence of events. 

22 hours ago, BaalChatzaf said:

Going to Africa to do his research was not a waste of time and effort for him. He needed to go to pursue his research.   Getting sick and dying there was just plain bad luck.  No wasteful behavior in this sequence of events. 

I suppose his purposeful actions were not wasteful, but I felt anger at him when I heard because I remember thinking and telling him it would be dangerous. And then later I thought, "Now I can't take another course from him." He was cut on something, then quickly died. He was younger than I was at the time and a good teacher. Stay in the U.S.A.! Or at least go where there will be decent medical care. RIP.

I remember when we lived in San Diego, on Gila Avenue, I was ages 4 to 6 and used to go on "digs" and reptile hunting expeditions in our back yard "canyon." I guess that was pretty dangerous too. I collected horny toads and quartz. Since I became an adult I don't think I have deliberately done anything risky at all.

Peter    

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

I suppose his purposeful actions were not wasteful, but I felt anger at him when I heard because I remember thinking and telling him it would be dangerous. And then later I thought, "Now I can't take another course from him." He was cut on something, then quickly died. He was younger than I was at the time and a good teacher. Stay in the U.S.A.! Or at least go where there will be decent medical care. RIP.

I remember when we lived in San Diego, on Gila Avenue, I was ages 4 to 6 and used to go on "digs" and reptile hunting expeditions in our back yard "canyon." I guess that was pretty dangerous too. I collected horny toads and quartz. Since I became an adult I don't think I have deliberately done anything risky at all.

Peter    

I will wager  your friend did not think his trip to Africa would be dangerous or fatal.  I am willing to bet he got all his immunization shots before he left.  Getting cut and having the wound go septic  is bad luck.  it could happen here at home too.