Something John Galt would say (please don't delete)

atlashead

this is important:

If John Galt were asked "do you think it is possible to love too much?  That it can harm the one that loves?" he would answer: "What do you think it was that made all of this possible-the motors, the skyscrapers, the airplanes, the telephones, the metaphysics, epistemology, the music, the artwork..."he would go on to list every single achievement of mankind"?It was love."

1 hour ago, atlashead said:

this is important:

If John Galt were asked "do you think it is possible to love too much?  That it can harm the one that loves?" he would answer: "What do you think it was that made all of this possible-the motors, the skyscrapers, the airplanes, the telephones, the metaphysics, epistemology, the music, the artwork..."he would go on to list every single achievement of mankind"?It was love."

Different kinds of love.  The love for another person is not quite the same thing as the love for an idea or abstract principle.  Some kinds of love include sexual attraction,  other kinds of love do not.  I love topology.  In particular I love  the proof that the Tyconoff  Compactness Theorem is equivalent to the Axiom of Choice (hoodathunkit?).   But at no point do I get a hard-on when I contemplate the proof. 

ah,

Why did you put "please don't delete" in the headline?

Preemptive victimization?

:)

OK, if it's preemptive victimization, I get it. You want the big bad authority (me) to not oppress poor little you. 

But what's there to victimize?

Shouldn't you do something offensive or hostile before draping yourself in a melodramatic posture?

Here's an idea. If you want to tell a story that will touch the hearts and minds of others, if you want to inspire them, talk a little about what YOU have achieved and/or dream of, not what OTHERS (even fiction characters) would or would not have said and then pretend you are a victim doing it.

Have you done anything worth talking about?

If so, let's hear it.

If not, well... not...

Michael

38 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

ah,

I suspect the OP was composed by atlashead's alter ego: Pot-Head.  And it being Sunday morning, I say why not?  Share your hipiphany here, there, and everywhere.

Note to PH, if you want to get a post deleted, the simplest method is to direct vulgar abuse towards the site's owner.  Otherwise the worst that's liable to happen to your contribution is that it'll get moved to the Garbage Pile. 

1 hour ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

ah,

:)

OK, if it's preemptive victimization, I get it. You want the big bad authority (me) to not oppress poor little you. 

But what's there to victimize?

Shouldn't you do something offensive or hostile before draping yourself in a melodramatic posture?

Here's an idea. If you want to tell a story that will touch the hearts and minds of others, if you want to inspire them, talk a little about what YOU have achieved and/or dream of, not what OTHERS (even fiction characters) would or would not have said and then pretend you are a victim doing it.

Have you done anything worth talking about?

If so, let's hear it.

If not, well... not...

Michael

No, not at all.

• 1 year later...