2 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

... instead I commented on what Chris wrote.

Here is a further comment. In Chris Sciabarra's original post, he complained that about 40 pro-Rand people gave a thumb's up to the Josh Jones article. And for the record, he later supplied a link to the thread he was complaining about. It is here

Now my comment:

Where is the 40 thumbs up thing? Maybe I'm dense, but I can't find it...   

I also agree with you that it's lamentable to see such knee-jerk reactions to surface issues among those who like Rand. But, hell, we both have been dealing with this online for years. 

If I were a Rand-Land dictator for a week, I would devise a world where such people would have to read The Fountainhead 50 times before reading Atlas Shrugged or any of Rand's nonfiction--or post in public where they could be subjected to peer pressure, for that matter. That would be to fixate the concept of "second-hand" thinking as opposed to "first-hand" thinking in their minds before they get to diving deep into the ideas. 

But don't mind me, I'm on a wish-fulfillment trip right now. (Ah, sweet dream of online paradise...) :) 

But to point, Rand's constant emotion-laden battle-like rhetoric (which I greatly enjoy) makes it easy to parrot her words and symbols rather than think through her ideas. Her style makes for clear and easy reading, but the trap is the seduction of thinking she did your thinking for you, so you no longer have to and you can just act.

And that leads me to a broad view. I see the same epistemological error in people (both Rand admirers and Rand critics) who approve of the Josh Jones article and think it is factual without noticing his reliance on unverifiable sources and those who read, say, The New York Times and think that is journalism presenting facts when the NYT folks use similar unreliable and unverifiable sources. 

These acceptors all regard--as truth and without looking deeper--what people who seem to have credentials tell them. Why? Just because it looks right, I suppose. Maybe they like the story that is told. I don't know for sure... I do know that if they looked with clear journalistic standards like who what when where why and how, they would see the obvious hedges and fudges.

So what happened to their own independent judgments? In essence, for whatever reason, they issued an intellectual power of attorney for the best part of their judging minds to people and institutions that practice fake news and they stopped thinking about it, at least on the issues where unreliable sources are concerned. People do that every day and they do it so much, that is now part of our modern culture.

To bring this home to your own personal context, the ARI folks have had a horrible policy over the years of essentially saying, "Just trust us because we love Rand so you don't need to verify our version," when they have bowdlerized her previously unpublished work and have been caught red-handed time and time again. (By you, for instance. :)

So what to think of the fake news media when they do the same thing with current affairs? I know what I do. I condemn fake news places like NYT (but not just them) harshly for exactly the same reason. I hear them saying as a running subtext, "Trust us on our unconditional reliance on anonymous sources that you cannot verify because we love the truth more than you do." The fact that they are later debunked time and time again, but keep unconditionally relying on new anonymous sources to serve up the same swill over and over, reminds me of what ARI does with bowdlerizing Rand to sell the same old sanitized version of her to the public no matter how many times they are caught.

One of the things I love best about the Internet is, despite people making fuzzy-thinking moves like the "thumbs up" stuff you dislike (and deservedly so), the gatekeepers of the media are going down. They are going down big-time and I celebrate that. People who think for themselves can express themselves in front of an audience without gatekeepers telling them what to think and how to talk.

The gatekeepers hate it, but I love it. I love it so much, I heartily support Josh Jones's right to write and publish all the garbage he wishes to about Ayn Rand or anything else his little heart desires. And I love my right to debunk him. I even support the right of the NYT to publish all the fake news they can muster based on all the bogus anonymous sources they can deploy to the extent they can fool their readers. 

But then, guess who else's right to free speech I support? :)

This might be my last substantive comment over there--but maybe not. People tend to get snarky when they can't control your evaluations and I tend to get sassy when they get snarky. :) But not Chris. He's more of a gentleman than I am. 

My post was prompted by a lady who said we should not use terms like "fake news" because that was Trump-speak and nobody would take that seriously. I doubt she knew who I was. :) But my response was not to her. I'm sure she is a good person. It was just a prompt for a wider observation. A good, proper, finger-wagging, uptight, control freak, tut-tut-tutting prompt, but a prompt nonetheless. :) 

Michael

2 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Bob,

Did you lose money with Bernie?

Michael

No.  But Madoff is an embarrassment to me and other Jews. Shame on him!  He knew better!!!!!

7 hours ago, BaalChatzaf said:

That reminds me of an early nuclear  age joke.  How was it that the U.S. beat the Germans to getting a working atomic  bomb even though the Germans started out 3 years earlier than the U.S. in that quest???  Answer:  Our Jewish physicists were better than their Jewish physicists. 

Which is barely a joke.  It turns out that in the early days,  utilizing nuclear fission was a Jewish cottage industry.  Otto Han the the German chemist was the first to detect  the decomposition of a uranium atom into atoms of different elements.  In short Otto Han was the first to produce nuclear fission in a controlled laboratory experiment.  But it took Lisa Meitner,  a Jewish associated of Hahn who was forced to flee Nazi Germany  to realize that this  fission would produce a vast amount of energy. (E = mc^2)  Then it was Leo Szilard,  a Jungarian Hew  (reference to a Jose Jimenez, Bill Dana joke),  to figure out  how to use a slow neutron chain reactor to get weapons grade energy out of U-235.  It was also Szilard who convinced Einstein to send a letter to FDR to warn FDR that the Germans might be working on an atom bomb.  This was enough to trigger off the Manhattan Project.  The rest is history. 

Szilard had an actual reactor set up in Chicago, didn't he? I vaguely recall a photo of it. When did it come on line? 1941, '42?

--Brant

1942--and he was cured of bladder cancer by his own machine in 1960

Edited by Brant Gaede

11 hours ago, Brant Gaede said:

Szilard had an actual reactor set up in Chicago, didn't he? I vaguely recall a photo of it. When did it come on line? 1941, '42?

Enrico Fermi.   He set up has reactor in the basement of the football stadium of the college.  I had the pleasure of playing gin rummy (Hollywood style of course)  with Jed Fermi,  Enrico's son  and with Sidney Hook's son, Ernie,  while I was a graduate student at Berkeley.   I beat them quite often. 

Szilard invented the chain reaction and patented the idea in 1937 or 1938.  He then sold the Patent Rights to the British on condition that they publish nothing about it.  The idea of the atomic bomb was "in the air"  along about that time, but the engineering details were yet to be worked out. Actually the idea of an atomic bomb goes back to 1913  when H. G. Wells published his sci-fi novel  "A World Set Free".   That is where the atomic bomb made its literary debut.

H.G. Wells was way ahead of his times. In that sense he was like Leonardo da Vinci, albeit without Leo's stupendous genius.

--Brant

Leo said you won't see the likes of me again anytime soon--and he was right

Muh polls!

Muh polls! 

What the hell is wrong with reality?

For those who prefer to read the transcript, from Rush's site:

ABC News/Washington Post Poll Does It Again, Oversamples Democrats

On Real Clear Politics, the headline is:

Rush Limbaugh: Democrats Losing Everywhere Except In The Polls, So They Think They're Winning

Could it be that some of the fake news is based on spiked polls?

We innocent intellectual fledglings clamor for enlightenment.

:)

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

I agree but I could not watch past a minute because of the guy popping up and yelling. The Lame Stream Media / fake news / propaganda machine is monolithic. Even People Magazine had a cover headline derogatory to the Trump family. You would think those left wingers would want to be successful in their careers, but no, they must hurt those they politically oppose, above all else. If 50 percent of the viewing population is pro freedom and glad to have Trump as their president why don't the ratings show that? Oh. They do. You'd think CNN will do what it takes for ratings like have some "real" conservatives and patriots for hour long hosts.

Peter 

4 hours ago, Peter said:

I agree but I could not watch past a minute because of the guy popping up and yelling.

Peter,

Mark Dice is an acquired taste. :) 

Before, I couldn't stand him and his affected voice and emotional posture. (He's not like that in interviews.) But the fake news kept pissing me off so much, I got to thinking, "Why not mock them in a dorky manner?" 

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, merjet said:

Most and the least trusted news sources.

Respondents "leaned toward the liberal side of the political spectrum."

Personally, I am getting tired of a surplus of British and Australian accents in all forms of the media (that talk.) And another dead giveaway of foreign-ness is when they spell words like labor, labour. Blimey, a limey!   

Muh Russians!

This fake news meme is cracking wide open among the lefties. (To be fair, Jimmy Dore was never on board, but some of the The Young Turks folks were.)

Now, the mainstream media has lost The Nation Magazine on Muh Russians.

Ah... so sweet it is.

The only thing I disagree with Jimmy here is that the mainstream media and DNC did not promote a conspiracy theory. They promoted a big lie through a propaganda campaign.

Michael

I'm posting this video featuring Roger Stone and Lee Stranahan on Infowars because it includes information that will further expose the fake news campaigns in the mainstream.

It covers a lot of ground, mainly due to Lee Stranahan's recent investigations, including the Ukraine and Charlottesville.

I've had mixed reactions to Stranahan, but in general, I've never felt he is lying. 

I believe his investigations into the Ukraine stuff (which he deals with in this video) will be one of the factors in changing several mainstream narratives.

For example, re Charlottesville, I didn't know that David Duke's doctorate degree came from the Ukraine and they did torch marches over there. :) (This is at the end of the video.)

Michael

On 8/12/2017 at 7:25 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Muh Russians!

This fake news meme is cracking wide open among the lefties.

Mark Levin noticed that it's been 10 days without Muh Russians! (Russians! Russians! Russians! Russians! Russians! Russians!) being in the mainstream news.

Now it's "Trump is a racist!" (racist! racist! racist! racist! racist! racist!)

What happened?

:evil:  :) 

Michael

Rush Limbaugh now says do not believe anything the mainstream news tells you.

He's right. I stopped some time ago.

And he predicts a future backlash that is going to surprise the people in the bubble.

According to Rush, even people who hate President Trump are running out of ways to believe the mountain of lies with a straight face and soak it all up. What's more, the number of people who like the president is growing, not diminishing.

For some reason, all this makes me happy.

If you listen to the mainstream media, it's the contrary. But they lie. And just like with the primaries and the election, when the backlash hits, all we will see is a bunch of pundits with stunned looks on their faces for a few days. Then they will latch onto--and pump like hell--some hairbrained story about the Martians changing people's minds through ultra-protean-neuro-cyber gamma rays bathing the earth or something.

For some reason, that makes me even happier.

Michael

This article on Breitbart by John Nolte is hilarious, short and sweet, and right up the alley of the culture wars.

CNN Reporter Exits Bubble, Discovers Just How Much Texas Hates CNN

Nolte's point is that if you hate on a certain group of people and look down you nose at them ALL THE TIME, don't be surprised when they begin to hate you. CNN has been doing this for decades to the people who practice the predominant lifestyle in Texas.

Then this CNN dork goes into the middle of a disaster in Texas and wonders where's the luv?

It is funny...

From the article:

The last place-CNN has never even tried to disguise its unbridled hate for all things southern and Texan. CNN’s cultural supremacists are constantly smearing Christians and conservatives and southerners as backwards bigots. And everyone knows that the only reason CNN is even paying attention to a natural disaster in a Red State is in the hopes that the president they are hoping to oust through fake news will do something the leftwing network can turn into a “Katrina moment.”

Let me put it this way, Nick…

Texans don’t hate CNN.

Texans are hating CNN back.

There’s a difference.

You started it.

You built that.

Amen...

Michael

6 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

This article on Breitbart by John Nolte is hilarious, short and sweet, and right up the alley of the culture wars.

CNN Reporter Exits Bubble, Discovers Just How Much Texas Hates CNN

Nolte's point is that if you hate on a certain group of people and look down you nose at them ALL THE TIME, don't be surprised when they begin to hate you. CNN has been doing this for decades to the people who practice the predominant lifestyle in Texas.

Then this CNN dork goes into the middle of a disaster in Texas and wonders where's the luv?

It is funny...

From the article:

Amen...

Michael

Michael quotes from the Nolte article:

//quote//The last place-CNN has never even tried to disguise its unbridled hate for all things southern and Texan. CNN’s cultural supremacists are constantly smearing Christians and conservatives and southerners as backwards bigots. And everyone knows that the only reason CNN is even paying attention to a natural disaster in a Red State is in the hopes that the president they are hoping to oust through fake news will do something the leftwing network can turn into a “Katrina moment.”//end quote//

Trump isn't the only reason CNN is paying attention to the hurricane disaster.  Possibly the second reason, but I think the first reason is for hyping "climate change" alarm.

I don't think I'd seen "cultural supremacists" before.  If I did, I didn't notice.  Ha!

Ellen

Speaking of fake news, Michael, have you noticed the flak about this false death report by one Baxter Dmitry of NewsPunch?

"Ronald Bernard, Dutch Banker Who Exposed Illuminati, Found Dead"

The person found dead was a local Sebring, Florida, man named Ronald Bernard Fernandez.

I'm surprised that Dmitry still hasn't taken down the article.

In case he does take it down, part of it is quoted here.  The reporter, Dee McLachlan, leaves out most of a paragraph in which Dmitry slipped in his cribbing from the original news article and left the name "Fernandez."

Ellen

Here's an angle to fake news that we haven't discussed yet: the effect on people who believe it over a long time.

Rush Limbaugh says we are now reaping the consequences of the left trying to brainwash a generation of folks with messages of hate and America sucks. The problem is that, after years of this, some people are deciding to crusade (crusade for real) against the evil repugnant America they've been taught that exists and the Democratic Party is losing control of them. The optics are turning out all wrong and backlash with voters is not going to be pretty. Left-wing politicians are starting to realize this.

The problem when you create a Frankenstein monster programmed to kill is that, if you can get it animated (or Antifamated :) ), it gets up and kills.

The Antifa violence up to now is a harbinger that this is precisely where everything is going. Thus, top lefties have started disavowing Antifa. I wonder how long that will last...

As to establishment Republicans, man, what a bunch of wussies...

They only come out against something like Antifa if they can feel their back-room privileges are safe and if they believe the press (including the left-wing press) will not say negative things about them. We can count on them to get real macho after the battle has been fought and everyone has gone home.

And don't ever say the word "Charlottesville" near them unless you want to see grown adults get embarrassing...

Michael

3 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

This comes via Mike Cernovich.

Whoever did the graphic could not have done it better.

LOL...

Michael

Belittling rescue work is not all that amusing...