Quote function

The new upgrade, as of this date, screwed around with the quote function so there is no quote button anymore.

(sigh)...

This is one of the habits IBP does that irritates the hell out of me. Sometimes they remove or drastically change stuff people use everyday. 

Anyway, here's a workaround. Use BBCode.

This means put the following code at the start and end of the text you want to quote:

[quote]Insert Text Here[/quote]

Sorry for the inconvenience. We deserve better than this.

Michael;

The new upgrade, as of this date, screwed around with the quote function so there is no quote button anymore.

(sigh)...

This is one of the habits IBP does that irritates the hell out of me. Sometimes they remove or drastically change stuff people use everyday. 

Anyway, here's a workaround. Use BBCode.

This means put the following at the start of the text you want to quote:

Clear as mud--so I used the quote function.

--Brant

master of disaster

10 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

IPB did a mini-update and fixed this.

Yay.

• 1 month later...

This may be temporary, a new appearance of a Leaderboard on the All Activity page:

leaderboard02.png

leaderboard01.png

• 1 year later...

This is probably the best place to put Peter's problem and my try at a solution. Peter, it is safe to open the backstage mail to you and Michael -- it's just to have you in on my ask of Michael. Think of it as a complaint ticket, yours.

1 hour ago, william.scherk said:

Peter is having or recalling ugly technical problems and doesn't want to blame William for the evil-eye, so I'll leave this here until I find the right place to transfer it to.

I want to help with this, because anything I do here is pretty straightforward HTML, and especially lately. I quote something and then type in a response. The above video is simply hosted at Youtube. It shouldn't give you any problems otherwise.  The code was transformed by the forum software from a simple URL.

One thing that might be involved is the sheer amount of extra flab-code that Word adds when it thinks you are working on the web. 

If you don't mind answering these questions, again, Peter, you can figure out where the issue is, in case you are the only one with an issue this particular. I swear, there isn't a genetically-targetted spell directed at you and your zippy mainframe.

What browser, which edition of Word, how you actually copy, edit, paste, paste back. 

Once I did scare myself. I was adding a comment to a post and somehow incorporated the page ending code in the comment code or something. Everytime I logged out or tried to fix it, another layer of scary code was laid down in my browser and I thought I had wrecked OL. It was at my end in the rendering engines, if I remember correctly.

The point being, we all leave code on OL even in our simplest responses.

So, if you want to describe just a touch more detail, we can probably fix your experience. The first way to a fix is try to reproduce the error condition or describe it that it could be tested by a third party.

Final question, did it just happen again, the X-Files kind of freeze?  What happens if you try to quote this next bit which is an image with embedded URL?

TomNicholsScottAdamsTwitterJune11-mini.p

You just asked me for comment on a sort of implied message that I was poisoning your browser through the means of OL. Shall we switch to smoke-signals going forward?

The worst thing I used to know how to do was capture a person's Network Address if they visited a web page.  Hardly the stuff of legend. Michael is able to do that with any visitor.

-- oh, and if you want to only take the easiest route, see if a different browser will do the same weird thing on you. 

PS -- this needed a bit more attention: 
" linked to something he embedded into OL. I tried to copy something from his message or I tried to copy something TO his message in reply."

When you say "linked to something," what does that mean?  And by embedded, do you mean an an image, a frame or a video or audio? Those are the only things I  "embed."

-- and by "copy something," do you mean simply off the page itself or using the comment box or using the 'quote' function that pops up when you select a piece of text from a comment?

I'm recording a little screencast so you can visualize what I do when I comment at OL. You should be able to do the exact same thing in your browser. If you are involving Word at some point, tell us at which point or points.

I'll post that little screencast video here, after I upload it to Youtube. Peter, Youtube is "safe."

Edited by william.scherk
Video!