voting methods

jts

Jesse Ventura says repeatedly people should vote for something other than the 2 main parties., that people should vote their conviction instead of the main parties. Otherwise the USA gets the same crap again and again.

We have a real conflict. Vote your conviction and waste your vote on someone who has no chance of getting elected. Or put a clothespin on your nose and vote contrary to your conviction in order to not waste your vote and then go some place and vomit.

The way to solve this conflict is order of preference voting. For example:

1st choice --  Ovid Objectivist

2nd choice --  Larry Libertarian

3rd choice --  Peter Pragmatist

4th choice -- none of the above   (I believe this should be on the ballot)

For the mathematically inclined here is a pdf file about voting systems.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~uzgeorge/votingmethod.pdf

None perfect. But improvement.

42 minutes ago, jts said:

For the mathematically inclined here is a pdf file about voting systems.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~uzgeorge/votingmethod.pdf

None perfect. But improvement.

Very nice pdf.  Thank you....

I see consternation not conflict. There is none where your rights are involved. Use them or not. A single vote matters little. Abstention is, imo, perfectly ok.

There is an alternative to making a selection of any two choices presented in any process. Im reminded of the time a corporation bought a company I was employed by. Their dress code was - no sweaters and no facial hair. I wore both. I sought legal counsel and found that there are matters for which discrimination isnt decided by law. The choice was to leave, make my work life a living hell by protesting the codes or stay.

Imagine a future election where the American Capitalist Party is registered in 50 states as is the Libertarian Party at this time. They garner only 1% of the vote. Your only "real" choices are cast as either being for Herr Dubious Distinction or Your Lady Vacuousness. 

Would you throw your vote to its antithesis?

Now imagine the 60% some odd people who are counted as being against both Trump and Clinton. All of whom regard a wasted vote with statistical certainty. Apply those numbers towards Stein or Johnson. Ventura has a point. It must first be recognized and coalesced around to make a difference. Perhaps the Green Party or the Libertarian Party arent your cup of tea. No youre holding out for only the best. What chance can there be for anything other than 2 parties? If the best example of the next viable party has ever only captured 1% of the electorate and no electoral votes? What can come of the "best" when a choice can be made in its favor but not be seen as relevant at the moment of decision making? Perhaps we're too short sighted.

Trump says rigged. He says the last chance for the country to relieve it of its slide towards something UnAmerican. I dont agree. If the boat must be rocked you have to be wiling to risk your safety. Ventura might know something about that. ;)