Cleveland Cavaliers Win NBA Finals

merjet

Congratulations to the Cleveland Cavaliers, 2016 NBA Champions and now my local NBA team. Cleveland gets its first major sports championship in 52 years. The previous one was the 1964 Cleveland Browns football team (pre-Super Bowl). 

This was the first time in NBA history that a team won the Finals after being behind 3 games to 1. LeBron James was Finals MVP and showed how great he is, especially in games 5 and 6. 

This might raise the counterfactual question, would the Cavaliers have beat Golden State last year if Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love had not been injured?

This was Cleveland's second pro sports championship this month. The Lake Erie Monsters hockey team won the Calder Cup on June 11. It wasn't a major championship, since the Monsters are not in the National Hockey League. The Monsters' home games are played in Quicken Loans Arena, same as the Cavaliers. 

The Cleveland Indians are now in first place. I doubt they will win the World Series to make that three championships in 2016. More likely is the Chicago Cubs' first World Series crown since 1908! After 67 games the Cubs pitching staff's ERA is 2.66!

History making year for both teams. But the Cavs beat the best regular season team in history. Incredible come back from 1-3 for the Cavs Prior to game 7 they had both scored 610 points in the series. It was a rubber match until the final minutes when Irving hit his shot. There was no coming back from 4 down on the last possession.

I thought my hoops career was finished after installing a deck this yr. My wrist is recovered since putting in over 2500 screws. ;)

The Cleveland Cavaliers NBA Champs victory celebration parade is happening today in downtown Cleveland.  It’s pandemonium in the metro area. An estimated more than a million people are amassed downtown. The public transportation system is swamped. The outermost station of one commuter train line is at the airport. The airport parking lots are full due to people parking there to merely try to catch the train to get downtown. There are long lines of people waiting to board at every train station in the area, and many bus stops.

My wife and I went to the train station one stop from the airport towards downtown. The scene was much like described above. It might have been a good idea if we had tried it about three hours earlier. We will experience it from home via television.  The local CBS station is providing live coverage, probably most of the day.