Correspondence and Coherence blog

merjet

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Galileo monologue about the maximum size of animals is well said even at today’s English language standards. The Star Trek Voyage depiction of another historical hero is Leonardo de Vinci by John Rhys Davies. It is the best ever. That bit of science reminds me of the scifi speculations about the physicality of alien species that might inhabit different planets and environments. High gravity equals more “squat” animals.

Few connotes a diminutive status while several connotes more, but each status is viewed through emotions or opinions.

I read a story in Entertainment Weekly about the new Bohemian Rhapsody movie. It’s cool that we will rock you, another one bites the dust, and we are the champions have become American sport’s clichés that I can hear over and over again and happily join in.

The lying statistics about the prevalence of mass shootings was informative and I remember another article about stabbings and other means of mayhem that were happening more often than gun violence. The news said there were 22 shootings this last weekend in Chicago. We were visiting the Smithsonian one day and stayed in an older hotel near there. That night we heard a gunshot and yelling probably several hundred yards away. Where we were was a richer upscale area, but you could go one D.C. street ever and it was a ghetto. After that we took the freeway around DC and then came south looking for a better place to stay. The place we chose was more expensive of course, but they had a woman playing the harp in the lobby, and outside I ran into James Brady who took a bullet for Ronald Reagan in a wheel chair with his wife. They spoke to me but I can't remember what was side. I must have been asking for directions.    

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...