The Kentucky Derby

Today the ponies will be in the 142nd. running of this historic & demanding race. The record time was set in in 1973(!) by Secretariat. Nyquist the favorite (2-1), is undefeated in seven career races.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Derby

Today's winner, Nyquist posted a time of 2:01.31 on a "fast track".

Well, Secretariat's Kentucky Derby track record of 1:59.4 "fast track" will stand for a least another yr.  What an amazing career that thoroughbred had. Check out his accomplishments here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretariat_%28horse%29

The horse ran a really strong race...

I liked Exaggerator and I would have bet the horse to win and place - so today I would have netted $3.40 cents - place paid $5.40.

A...

4 minutes ago, Selene said:

The horse ran a really strong race...

I liked Exaggerator and I would have bet the horse to win and place - so today I would have netted $3.40 cents - place paid $5.40.

A...

Hi Adam. I didn't place a bet, but still enjoy immensely watching the Triple Crown races. Guess it goes back to when I was a teen. I went to Aqueduct with a friend of mine several times back then whose father owned a funeral home in Bklyn. He would pick me up in one of the funeral cars, including the one that holds the casket. We never paid for entrance into the park. The attendant at the gate would just wave us in. Guess he thought we were there to pick up a body. lol  --J 

14 minutes ago, Backlighting said:

Hi Adam. I didn't place a bet, but still enjoy immensely watching the Triple Crown races. Guess it goes back to when I was a teen. I went to Aqueduct with a friend of mine several times back then whose father owned a funeral home in Bklyn. He would pick me up in one of the funeral cars, including the one that holds the casket. We never paid for entrance into the park. The attendant at the gate would just wave us in. Guess he thought we were there to pick up a body. lol  --J 

Good story.

My lady friend is big into horses, she went to the Kentucky Derby last year and made all the Triple Crown races last year.

My "bet" was my mental bet.  Never been into racetrack betting, except as a "mental game."

I remember in The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress to bet the leading apprentice jockey to Show and you would always come away a winner, even though it was a small net/net.

“Mike amigo, do you also tout horse races?”

“I often calculate odds on horse races; the civil service computermen frequently program such requests. But the results are so at variance with expectations that I have concluded either that the data are too meager, or the horses or riders are not honest. Possibly all three. However, I can gve you a formula which will pay a steady return if played consistently.”

Prof looked eager. “What is it? May one ask?”

“One may. Bet the leading apprentice jockey to place. He is always given good mounts and they carry less weight. But don’t bet him on the nose.”

Lol...

A...