The Objectivist Living Portal

Kat

I am working on setting up a new homepage for Objectivist Living utilizing the portal function of the Invision Power Board software. It features articles, actiive topics and has sidebar navigation. Clicking on the blue bar with the article title in white text will take you to the article thread so you don't have to read the article by scrolling in the little preview window. If you want to be on the front page, post articles! Please format the title as size 3 bold so it appears correctly and consistent with the other articles featured on the front page.

The way to go to the normal main forum page is to click the header logo or click on the first link under site navigation "Objectivist Living Forums (OL homepage)" I still have a couple of kinks to work out (like getting the newsfeeds off the active discussions box) but for the most part it is pretty sweet. Check it out at:

http://objectivistliving.com/forums/index.php?act=home

Kat

The home page has now been changed. It is fairly easy to navigate. The banner will still take you to the forum menu, which is also available as the first (bolded) option in the navigation box. I have added a home option in the text menu as the last option (after calendar). This will take you back to the portal. I have temporarily turned off the news feeds as there is no way to keep them out of the active discussion box. Bummer!

The good news is I added a boatload of smilies for your posting enjoyment. When you hover over them you will see how you can make them appear by typing a word (such as cheer) with a colon before and after the word. Of course you can still click on a smiley with the mouse to insert the emoticon.

I have also added one more skin for a simpler interface that is PDA friendly (for Blackberry, Treo, etc. users) and is better for dial up and slower computers. It has no graphics. At the bottom of the page you can select PDA Lsteel (import).

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Gimme an O! Gimme an L!

Kat

• 2 years later...
I am working on setting up a new homepage for Objectivist Living utilizing the portal function of the Invision Power Board software. It features articles, actiive topics and has sidebar navigation. Clicking on the blue bar with the article title in white text will take you to the article thread so you don't have to read the article by scrolling in the little preview window. If you want to be on the front page, post articles! Please format the title as size 3 bold so it appears correctly and consistent with the other articles featured on the front page.

The way to go to the normal main forum page is to click the header logo or click on the first link under site navigation "Objectivist Living Forums (OL homepage)" I still have a couple of kinks to work out (like getting the newsfeeds off the active discussions box) but for the most part it is pretty sweet. Check it out at:

http://objectivistliving.com/forums/index.php?act=home

Kat

SWEET!!! should have been in red and Thank you, Kat.

Edited by Selene

• 5 months later...

I'm not sure I'm putting this in the best or correct place, so MSK or Kat can move it they see fit.

One thing I did not like at first about the recent new design of this site was the search facility. It seemed quite limited compared to what was available with the previous design. However, I discovered how to specify more criteria. If you do a search with the text box between the magnifying glass and 'Search' button empty, the result will be a page to specify more criteria and, as I recall, much like what was available with the previous design.

One thing I'm still sorely missing is the option you had in the old version when viewing "new posts", to extend this to the posts of "today", "this week", "this month" (I see at other sites that there are even options like "past 2 weeks", "past 3 months", "this year"). The only thing in this new version is to go to the portal and choose "today's active topics", but that is much less than we had in the old version! I often want to lookup some post of a few days ago, and then I have to do some very laborious search to find the desired post, as it's often not clear in which subforum it is. This is so clumsy, while the old version was very convenient in that regard, why is this option omitted in the new version?!

Dragonfly, you can do a search with a specific date range if you do it as I described in the previous post.

I know, but then I have to use the search function and that isn't very convenient to find a certain post, as the whole procedure is rather laborious (you have to choose suitable key words and select the dates on the calendars), while in the old version you got the result with two simple mouseclicks without leaving the "new posts" menu.

Oops. There is an "Advanced" link to the right of the Search text box with the magnifying glass icon that takes the user to the advanced search page. On my computer the "Advanced" has so little contrast to its background that I didn't notice it.

Michael and Kat, I know it's there now. But if you can easily give it more contrast, it might be helpful to other users.

Edited by Merlin Jetton

Thank you, Kat and Michael, for all the work you do to maintain this site. The new look took some getting used to, but now I can't even remember what the old site looked like.

I guess I usually navigate from the portal page, rather than the forum page, even though the forum page comes up by default, because it has the "active topics" button. I agree with Dragonfly -- horror of horrors -- that it would be nice to be able to select the length of history desired when displaying active topics though.

Darrell

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

What does the "What's on your mind?" update section in one's profile mean?

What does "poster X has not set their status" mean?

"What's on your mind?" Seems to be just a header, a sort of label that you put on yourself and your profile. It seems to "do" nothing. I have seen other Message Board software systmes from other companies that let you set your "Mood" and this is displayed for others to see. Change your mood as often as you like. Here, though, it seems that whatever is on your mind, others must come to your profile to find out.

What I want to know is how come your Reputation is higher than mine (1 to 0) if no one likes you. Do so many more others like me so much less? If I were not an individualist ...

• 1 year later...

how old are you, Kat? Is the pic shown here a recent one? Why do so many US women look like dogs by the time they are 40? Some, like you, look fine well into their 60's. Not that I'd guess you as being over 40, of course.

It takes a dog to see a dog.

--Brant

Kat is 34--period